Oh boy! Gundam Unicorn is now out and SUBBED!

Got mine from a torrent, would be surprised if there wasn't a DDL yet.

I thought Unicorn being made was pretty inevitable. The President of Sunrise did a bunch of interviews when SEED was being made talking about how he wanted to do a project for the UC fans next.

It had to be either Crossbone or Unicorn. I imagine Unicorn won out because of the huge fad for anime based on light novels lately.

Gahhh....I would have rather had Crossbone. Gundam F91 was meant to be the fourth great UC epic, finally detached from Char, Amuro, Bright, and anyone from the pre-100 UC era.

I forget what happened, but it was eventually condensed into the two hour (almost) movie that we got, and it was continued via Crossbones. Since Tomino freaking HATES Victory, getting Crossbone would kinda be the next true sequel in the UC-verse.

....Of course, what would REALLY be impressive is getting Gundam Sentinel. But ohhh...I don't think the anime community, east OR west, is ready for that.
 
I'm hoping if Unicorn does really well, we'll either get a Crossbone OVA, Series (which I'd prefer), or even a Movie Trilogy. From what I've heard and read about Crossbone it'd be freakin awesome to have animated. :buttrock:
 
Gahhh....I would have rather had Crossbone.

A lot of people would have. A problem with Crossbone, though, is that it plagiarizes an astonishing amount of its designs and plot from Leiji Matsumoto's work. It's doing so in a somewhat satirical manner, but Japanese law gets murky on that sort of issue.

Matsumoto has taken on anime studios in court and won before, IIRC. Sunrise probably decided it wasn't worth it to animate the show where the Crossbone Vanguard's emblem was literally copied from Harlock's for worldwide release. Not only could Matsumoto have gone after them, I think any worldwide Matsumoto licensee could have.

I forget what happened, but it was eventually condensed into the two hour (almost) movie that we got, and it was continued via Crossbones.

IIRC, Crossbone was not part of the intended F91 story. It's something Tomino and the mangaka cooked up later, when I think Gundam Ace or one of the other Gundam mags expressed interest in doing a manga set in late-era UC for the die-hard fans. (I think most of the Harlock plagiarism is the fault of the mangaka, not Tomino.) Bandai really wanted to push it for awhile in the games, but fan response wasn't as overwhelmingly enthusiastic as they hopes.

....Of course, what would REALLY be impressive is getting Gundam Sentinel. But ohhh...I don't think the anime community, east OR west, is ready for that.

Gundam Sentinel would be fantastic, but it'd be a hard story to sell at this point. It's really targeted at die-hard Zeta fans and has a lot of the zeitgeist of the early 90s OVAs. It would feel a little dated, in terms of what it emphasized about Gundam. Since Unicorn was a very recent project, it pretty much hits the mood of UC fandom as it stands right now perfectly.
 
i'm glad to missed the old-school times during era of Amuro Ray and Char Aznable after CCA. the story is really fine but the actors voices were the best! especially Banaaji. ^.^
 
A lot of people would have. A problem with Crossbone, though, is that it plagiarizes an astonishing amount of its designs and plot from Leiji Matsumoto's work. It's doing so in a somewhat satirical manner, but Japanese law gets murky on that sort of issue.

Matsumoto has taken on anime studios in court and won before, IIRC. Sunrise probably decided it wasn't worth it to animate the show where the Crossbone Vanguard's emblem was literally copied from Harlock's for worldwide release. Not only could Matsumoto have gone after them, I think any worldwide Matsumoto licensee could have.

That is, most likely, the reason it wasn't done. Shame, too.

IIRC, Crossbone was not part of the intended F91 story. It's something Tomino and the mangaka cooked up later, when I think Gundam Ace or one of the other Gundam mags expressed interest in doing a manga set in late-era UC for the die-hard fans. (I think most of the Harlock plagiarism is the fault of the mangaka, not Tomino.) Bandai really wanted to push it for awhile in the games, but fan response wasn't as overwhelmingly enthusiastic as they hopes.

You're correct. It was not intended to be apart of F91, but after the movie turned out the way it did, they decided to make Crossbones as a direct sequel to F91. As far as fan response goes, I don't know--they've got a new Versus Game coming out soon I have a feeling they're pushing pretty hard that will be including Crossbones.

Gundam Sentinel would be fantastic, but it'd be a hard story to sell at this point. It's really targeted at die-hard Zeta fans and has a lot of the zeitgeist of the early 90s OVAs. It would feel a little dated, in terms of what it emphasized about Gundam. Since Unicorn was a very recent project, it pretty much hits the mood of UC fandom as it stands right now perfectly.


That's not fair though, people have been jerking off over Legend of the Galactic Heroes for twenty years now! I want my Sentinel. Its probably the only time I'll ever see ZZ Gundam given proper respect.
 
At what point does this occur? I like Gundam and have seen most of the UC universe, but not a complete otaku on the show. Watched the first 10 minutes of it so far and the animation is just... well fucking beautiful.
 
At what point does this occur? I like Gundam and have seen most of the UC universe, but not a complete otaku on the show. Watched the first 10 minutes of it so far and the animation is just... well fucking beautiful.

Its UC0093. Two years after all the big Federation, Zeon, AEUG, Titans, Neo Zeon stuff that plagues everyone from UC0079-UC0091, IE, Mobile Suit Gundam, Gundam Zeta, ZZ Gundam and Char's Counterattack.

I stayed vague on Unicorn's details in the hopes we'd get an anime and I wouldn't ruin myself on the plot. But you CAN expect another masked man. :D
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top