Not much love for GoGoV or Gingaman?

ryatwo

Thank you for the Memories...
Okay so let me start of by saying that a majority of my toku time has been spent largely on Kamen Rider, specifically the Heisei era and those that follow.

I haven't been much of a Sentai fan per se, and to date only have seen Mahou Sentai Magiranger in it's entirety (back to back with Kamen Rider Faiz). That was a long time ago and I haven't seen a Sentai show completely since. I have although seen snippets of the modern Heisei era (not sure how to classify this) starting from Gaoranger.

The thing is, I have been geeking out alot on Sentai lately looking to see which series I should start of watching and I started with Jetman. I have seen alot of recommendations for the series, but personally it didn't to it for me. After 11 episodes in, the cast of characters weren't my cup of tea, though Gai of course is an exception. I'm sure it gets better if I tough it out more, but right now I want to enjoy a Sentai series as a whole. On a side note, I am also actively watching Kyoryuger, which I am thoroughly enjoying!

So I've settled on both Gingaman and GoGoV (the former is thanks to a blog called ValsagFantasy and the latter because the team's chemistry seemed really good in GoGoV vs Gingaman).

But sadly the subgroups that are currently seemed to have stopped subbing both shows (Gingaman was subbed by Hi no Tori fansubs which according to their schedule subbed one episode a month, but seemed to have stopped since last December, and Hikari Senshi hasn't done a GoGoV episode since January this year).

Not sure if I should be asking this on this section of HJU, but to those people who have seen either Gingaman and GoGoV, where have you seen it? At this point I'm willing to watch or buy HK version of both series!

By the way, as a side note it's so cool how Gingaman and GoGoV have English (those some might argue Engrish) versions of their opening themes. I love both versions of Gingaman equally but I think I prefer the English version of GoGoV's better. Shinichi Ishihara is really great, but I love how passionate the female/English version sounds.
 
There were Ginga raws on YouTube a while ago before Toei had them all taken down for copyright. I think I found GoGoV on Dailymotion or something a couple of years ago, so that's where I saw it. I don't know where you could find them now but I would say they're both worth watching if you can get your hands on them ...
 
There were Ginga raws on YouTube a while ago before Toei had them all taken down for copyright. I think I found GoGoV on Dailymotion or something a couple of years ago, so that's where I saw it. I don't know where you could find them now but I would say they're both worth watching if you can get your hands on them ...

Well as of this post, all 35 subtitled episodes by Hi no Tori have been posted on Youtube. So no worries there, except the last fifteen episodes.

Finding the raws of both series won't be too much trouble, but finding subtitled versions of both series are. Plus the fact that I don't know much Japanese doesn't help much either :disappoin
 
Someone subbed the first 17 episodes of Gingaman, but that was so long ago the codecs are completely outdated, making them unplayable on any device that is not a computer. As for GoGoV, someone subbed like the first 12 episodes, but that is it. In fact, these people make Nihon look fast.
 
There's torrents for both shows (in raw format) on nyaatorrents.

Sadly I don't really understand Japanese, so raws are pretty useless to me :disappoin

Thanks for the info though! Might come in handy if I can't break the itch to watch more Gingaman and/or GoGoV if in the future there is no news of other fansub groups taking on either series.
 
GoGoV has my favorite mecha from super sentai, Grand Liner. I also love gingaman. The story and characters are top notch.
 
There are/should be HK subs on DVD for both of these (I just Googled and a few results came up) but they're pretty expensive. You're probably better off waiting for a sub group to pick them up if you don't want to watch them raw. Yasuko Kobayashi is a hugely popular writer so it's almost a given that someone will eventually do Gingaman
 
I would like to think someone might eventually "rescue" Gingaman at some point - it's one of the shows closest to completion out there.

Personally, I saw both shows years ago when torrents of older series were more widely available. I think if you watch those 35 episodes of Gingaman, you might not have the most difficult time in the world understanding what the rest of the series is about. After a while with tokusatsu you sort of just have to take the leap and go into unsubbed stuff for older shows. (though people have been making great strides lately, Maskman is almost entirely subbed, Kakuranger is coming out at the rate of an episode a week with half the series done)
 
I vaguely remember Lynxara saying on the HJ Radio podcast (or maybe it was in a forum post? I forget now...) something about the translator for Gingaman jumping ship to a different sub group and taking the series with him. So I guess it's probably still in the works but not under the Hi no Tori name? A lot of the smaller sub groups seem to be back-burner projects for people usually working in one of the other more established groups like GUIS, so I tend to leave them alone until something is complete and concentrate on the groups which have a record of finishing the series they start. But I'm sure those shows will get there in the end. I'd love to see more of the 90s Sentai get subbed though. I loved Jet, Zyu, Dai and what we've gotten so far of Kaku and Mega, so any other 90s era Sentai would be fantastic to see. IIRC Carranger's under way as well?
After a while with tokusatsu you sort of just have to take the leap and go into unsubbed stuff for older shows.
lol that's a hell of a 'while' though. Just off the top of my head I can think of 50 toku series that have been completely fansubbed, and I've no doubt there's a few I will have forgotten (and ones I didn't count but are nearly there, like Maskman or Kamen Rider Stronger). Thanks to our lovely subbers our tiny fandom has years of viewing available in English, and that's not including official releases, movie franchises like Godzilla, 20 years worth of Power Rangers (toku or not, it's a massive "gateway drug" for our fandom), or that the toku rabbit hole doesn't also get you interested in anime, chanbara films or J-Horror :sweat:
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top