My thoughts on the word Zord and why it's still around.

Kenori

Member
So I was thinking about why, continuity and story-wise, the word zord is still around, and I think I might have come up with a good reason. As you know, the word normally associated with giant pilotable robots is mecha.

The term "mecha" is derived from the Japanese abbreviation meka (メカ ?) for the English word "mechanical".

Now supposedly the first mecha with a human pilot was in Mazinger Z, but what if the japanese had never come up with this word. What if the Power Rangers had beaten Japan to the giant robot punch so to speak. Well of course we know that Zordon created the first Mecha in the PR universe, and named them Zords. How many people heard the Power Rangers calling for "Zord Power!" or "Megazord Power!"? It would stand to reason that a lot of people would have. So its possible that over time the term "Zord" would have been accepted as the popular vonacular for giant pilotable robots.

So instead of Mech Warrior, we would have had Zord Warrior, and the like.

Any of this make sense to anyone else?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It make sense, you speak the truth and zord has just become synonymous with live action "mecha" that form............. megazords.

I dunno.

I'm not out to prove I'm "t3h hardcorz" by abandoning all of that damned "dirty english" terminology for things not proper nouns or specific characters.

Mecha to me means, "Gundams." Calling a zord a mech feels..... weird and forced. Even awkward.
 
I'm not out to prove I'm "t3h hardcorz" by abandoning all of that damned "dirty english" terminology for things not proper nouns or specific characters.

Mecha to me means, "Gundams." Calling a zord a mech feels..... weird and forced. Even awkward.

Agreed. If its a zord, call it so. Theres no shame in it :patriotic::patriotic::patriotic:
 
Zords is the new term for any type of Giant Robots. You have Zoids which is similar to Zords, I actually heard someone use the "Zords" talking about Transformers.
 
Zords is the new term for any type of Giant Robots. You have Zoids which is similar to Zords, I actually heard someone use the "Zords" talking about Transformers.

I always thought the term for combining, transforming robots was "Voltron".

Seriously, though it annoys me whenever people reffer to robots that combine like that. I mean, Voltron wasn't the first mech to come up with the combining robot gimmick.
 
Zords is the new term for any type of Giant Robots. You have Zoids which is similar to Zords, I actually heard someone use the "Zords" talking about Transformers.

I always thought the term for combining, transforming robots was "Voltron".

Seriously, though it annoys me whenever people reffer to robots that combine like that. I mean, Voltron wasn't the first mech to come up with the combining robot gimmick.
 
Well of course we know that Zordon created the first Mecha in the PR universe, and named them Zords.

I don't know if they're the first giant robots created in the PRU, but I do know they were created by Ninjor, not Zordon. Why the name so closely resembles Zordon's Ihavenoidea.
 
This is basic "What if" thinking here, you see I think of What If's in this way: there's a parallel universe for anything, any little difference. There's one for where its Zords instead of mecha, where we uses different words for different things. Like what if blue was green, red was silver, magenta was orange, and so on. Some people use the word Zords for robots because they are socialized to use such words. The same applies to people that use the terms mecha, gundam, robot, and so on for any giant robot they see. There's a parallel universe where Megazords were called Mechazords.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top