Mega Monster Battle: Ultra Galaxy Legend The Movie

Break out the dance moves *gif*
[hide]
29xzpt4.gif
[/hide]
 
I would actually find it more irritating to have all those Ultras who don't belong to the same continuity together... Unless they do some cool gimmik to make it work like in the latest Star Trek movie, or to a lesser extent, the Super 9 Ultra movie. And in that case, *all* of them were AU except for Mebius, which was kind of weird.

If Decade & Super 8 taught us anything... it's that characters that aren't in the same continuity CAN be brought together.

What I don't like is the fact that Ultras are missing... It feels incomplete to me. Why include Max, Cosmos, and Dyna.... but then fade Nexus, Gaia, and Agul?... It pointless.

I guess it ain't irritating for someone who's watched all Ultra series.
 
Once you've actually seen this movie, if you still feel there aren't enough Ultras in it, then I'd have to say you aren't actually watching the movie, you're just taking roll call.


_Mike
 
I guess it just feels random, at least to me. The claim of having them be only the Ultras from M78 is kinda bogus since Dyna and the Leo twins don't come from there. Though I guess in the case of Dyna, it'll work since it ties into how his series is. (I still don't get how this movie can be "Dyna's movie" and focus so much on everything else, guess that's my biggest worry, we have Zero, Reimon, and Dyna split focus on)
 
Well Leo and Astra might not be from M78, but they're at least from the same universe. Dyna isn't, but the events of the series allowed for him to jump to a different one somehow... Couldn't tell you exactly what happened, since I haven't seen it.

As for how the split focus thing is going to go, I'm not sure, but I see it as more of an ensemble cast with Zero at its head than a Dyna movie with focus on Zero, Rei and Dyna. And don't forget Mebius, he's in a lot of it, supposedly. Think of it like the party from Lord of the Rings.
 
What I don't like is the fact that Ultras are missing... It feels incomplete to me. Why include Max, Cosmos, and Dyna.... but then fade Nexus, Gaia, and Agul?... It pointless.

But this has nothing to do with what makes a movie good or not. There is no prerequisite for having everything ever seen in Ultraman on screen for it to be satisfying. The purpose of having this many Ultras in the first place is to set a scope/scale backdrop for the drama of the movie, but like all good stories, it actually focuses on just a few main characters. If none of the Ultras in the background were known, it would have little impact on the drama. It's just nice/fun/nostalgic to see familiar faces and characters. But it's not a movie about a ton of Ultras; it's a movie about a small band of heroes working together to stop an extremely powerful bad guy and restore peace in the galaxy. This movie would've degenerated into muddled fanboy wank-fest in two seconds if its goal was to go -Christmas-television-special style - through all the Ultras using all their special powers and making constant nods to their show origins, etc. The reason this movie has had unanimously good reviews and response thus far is because it's got its dramatic priorities straight, and it's a helluva ride.


_Mike
 
Last edited:
Absolutely.

Dramatic flavors are like food flavors - you can't have too much of one without it getting boring and unsatisfying. For all the action and excitement, there are certainly moments of reflection, moments of nostalgia, moments of sadness, moments of compassion. The movie's pace is extremely fast, but it doesn't forget to connect with the audience's heart.

At least, that's what we tried to do. :)


_Mike
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top