Lord of the Rings vs. Star Wars

MMPR

Read my smart post
I know it's apples and oranges, but I thought it would make a good discussion. Both franchises are so iconic and have great critical (mostly) and financial success. They also share a similar format, a sequel trilogy and a prequel trilogy. I know it might be hard to vote because The Hobbit movies aren't out...but i'm bored
 
Last edited:
I hate the third neutral option..

Lord of the Rings was the better trilogy of movies.

Star Wars is one of the greatest fantasy universes ever created.
 
It is apples and oranges. But if we're that bored then I'd say Star Wars no contest. ...but only if we're talking original trilogy. Prequels, extended universe, etc. I have no use for.
 
I didn't think Star Wars was that great, the original Trilogy was good but I think its so popular because it really pushed the boundaries of filmaking for its time. I thought the prequel trilogy was pretty boring, I expected more, but I did enjoy the third one. I've never been a big Star Wars fan, and it's always impressed me how relevant in popular culture this franchise has been over the years, but I don't feel a connection to the characters in this universe, and I don't care for them much

I voted Lord of the Rings because I love the franchise. It's ridiculous how detailed Tolkien and his son made this universe, take 5 minutes and you'll see how much history exists on Middle Earth. I also liked the story in LotR a lot more, it seemed more epic and grounded in reality (as crazy as that sounds when there are wizards and giant floating eyes). I remember watching the extended edition of LotR for the first time and being blown away, I sat for 12 hours (across a couple days) and was entertained every second. I think the characters are all memorable and it's one of the rare franchises that doesn't beat you over the head with confusing metaphors and allegories, it's the kind of fiction you read (or watch) and apply your own understanding
 
Last edited:
One of the greatest scenes of all time with one of the greatest lines of all time:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAFBMGs4hEc"]Star Wars - Luke I am your father - YouTube[/ame]
 
I love both very much, but I prefer high-tech/sci-fi over medieval/fantasy. Therefore, Star Wars wins for me.

And I, for one, actually loved the prequels too. Especially episode III since I've always wanted to see how The Emperor came to power when I was a kid.
 
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…