Kamen Rider Wizard, EP 19 - "Today's Life, Tomorrow's Life"

This seemed so dumb that I assumed it was some kind of bluff and they hid the real painting somewhere else while sending out a decoy. Okay, so he had a letter from his wife too, but there was no need to get the painting destroyed like that.

I also kind of thought that was weird. If I didn't know better, I'd say Haruto is getting some kind thrill out of seeing people fall into despair just so he can bring them back and give them something new to be hopeful about. :laugh:

But I am sure that is not the case. They probably didn't do the decoy plan because the Phantoms are getting smarter. It's equally possible that they wouldn't have fallen for that trick anyways. I'm not going to assume they just "didn't have another painting the same size" because he's a painter, he probably made a few anyways.
 
So I finally got around to sitting down and watching this week's Wizard. I must admit it was some of the minor details that I normally get really nitpicky about that I liked this week. When Haruto transforms, they ditched all of the Wizardriver's noises before it registers his ring. As someone who prefers the more simple sequences, being able to hear the actor say "henshin" and then going straight to the belt saying "FLAME!" is actually a big improvement. Equally, I'd been wondering how they were going to do the dragon circling around him for the Land Dragon transformation, and the way they made it out of a sandstorm was a nice touch. I do wish they'd tweaked Land Dragon itself a little; those shoulder pads are just a little too big, and the claws would have looked better if they'd been remotely sharp, but I guess the latter issue is probably to make it more accurate to some future toy?

They toned down the comedy a little on Beast this week, and personally I preferred that. A comedic character who nevertheless has to step up and be badass later in the same episode is difficult to get right (as many a sixth ranger has shown), but maybe they're learning where the balancing point is. I also have to applaud Shunpei for being the one to come up with the very sensible suggestion to just have Haruto use Engage to go and defeat Chimera, thus sealing off what could have been a big plot hole (for now, at least). I do wonder though why Beast has his own Engage ring? Surely that goes entirely against his reason for being? And why did he know how to use it, when everything else has had to be be explained to him? This is one time when I actually hope there will be a director's cut, as I feel like there may have been a scene dropped somewhere.
 
Wizard 19:

- .... Was there any need for a "cuckoo clock" sound when Koyomi explained the yellow stone? This is supposed to be a dramatic reveal. Why sprinkle silly stuff in there that dampens the mood?

- How often to Japanese people die of illness in youth or middle age in real life, if it's such a common trope in toku? Or did it just become a common plot element by itself?

- It might have been interesting if Nitou's taste for mayonnaise was an odd side effect of being possessed by Chimera. Something like Bill Weasely acquiring a taste for steak after getting scratched by the werewolf Greyback.

- Yay! No scatting belt!

- That was a pretty lame way of refusing Haruto's help while trying to act cool, with happy music to accompany. What reason does Nitou have to keep being Beast?
 
It wouldn't of exactly been "saving" a person if the only thing they had to live for was a picture of there dead wife.

But like I said, he could have read the letter, found more meaning to live and get to keep a nice memento of his late wife. Losing something like that, even if it's not all you were living for, would be pretty damaging to a person. I know I'm nitpicking, it just seemed really jarring to me that they put so little effort into protecting it.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top