Kamen Rider Gaim - Lock 01 "Transform! An Orange From The Sky!?"

I know this is late, but...

I loved The premier of Kamen Rider Gaim!

This year they are really going for something different and interesting with the opening, I think there is a lot that can be read into it. I don’t believe the OP and Rider War tell us directly what will happen (or has happened) with these characters, it seems to me they are hinting at the essence of how things will be and the dynamics that will change.

Kouta’s Godai Yuusuke moment with the lost kid was simply beautiful. I really liked his conversation with his sister, she is so cool; a huge difference from our most recent Rider woman: Daimon Rinko. I think sister Kazuraba has done much to form her brother, and for that I am thankful. Kaito has a lot of what it takes to match up to the Kamen Rider paradigm. I wonder if they’re somehow Hongo’s kids…

The fact that the Beat Riders are a subject of social media focus is a very cool modern touch, which though it may not be timeless, I think will hold for quite some time. I don’t think this kind of interactivity and connectedness is going to fade anytime soon, it will probably just ease up a bit and normalize.

Yggdrasil Co’s logo of the tree covering everything gives a great ominous feel to how they are behind everything interesting, strange and dangerous going on in Zawame City. They seem to be behind the proliferation of the Lock Seeds as well as the Invess fights. I feel this is implied by fruits (and nuts) coming from trees and the fact that the tech in the Locks gears them towards being used for a game i.e. “You Win!â€

Finally, my favorite thing about the premiere was how Mai was played. She has the trappings of a female, long hair, feminine clothing, she doesn’t carry herself “like a man†but she is a full character at this point. She could have been a guy and nothing would have changed. She was written, directed and acted as a human being.

See the pretty pictures that go with this.
 
Agreed. But then Urobuchi has some good history writing female character. Saber in F/Z being one of the notables.
 
Agreed. But then Urobuchi has some good history writing female character. Saber in F/Z being one of the notables.

He didn't really create Saber. She was already a full character that was already there for him. The Madoka characters are better examples
 
The Saber in FZ is a very different character in terms of both writing and execution compared to the one in the FSN anime or the VN. Much like how Gentaro is handled different under the hands of someone like Nakashima compared to Sanjo.
 
Gaim 1:

- I like the narrated teaser just before the credits. The OP song, on the other hand, isn't much of an ear-grabber. I wish there could be an OP as good as Kuuga's and Hibiki's again.

- Kota works at an Indian restaurant? :laugh:

- I wonder if DJ Sagara will reference Futo's Wind Wave Radio at some point.

- Goro-chan!

- What if Lock Dealers had run-ins with the Sonozakis' Memory salesmen?

- Can't Bandai go back to voices for toys that don't sound... blatantly toyish? The Lock Seeds are only slightly better than the annoying Wizard bets. If Yggdrasil is supposed to be a throwback to SMART BRAIN, then at least make your gears sound like the Faiz belts.

- I don't know about the chanting either. I suppose the formal announcing of the Riders makes sense given the motif, but it could still sound a bit less like a toy ad.

- I must say, for a reluctant hero Kota is doing a much better job than Ryotaro's first fight. This is more like what I'd like to see: putting at least some effort into it, even if you might lose.

His one drawback, though, is he talks too much. Just fight the monster. Even Shinji did that with minimal commentary.

- "If that's what it takes to protect you?" That sounds a bit too formal for someone who Kota doesn't even know and just thinks looks like Mai. Does he think Mai suddenly changed her appearance in a few minutes? He doesn't even know what the heck is going on.

- Bragigas in the SHT end scene before it even debuts?

The show looks ok so far. Though I'd rather the fruit motif was a bit subtler than what they went with.

-
 
Gaim 1:
- Can't Bandai go back to voices for toys that don't sound... blatantly toyish?

... but it could still sound a bit less like a toy ad.
-

Surrender yourself to the the toyeticism. Do not fight the toyeticism. Give yourself unto the toyeticism.

Obey the toy... Obey the Toei.

:P

But seriously. The show is a toy ad. It will always be a toy ad. If you stop resisting, you'll save yourself a lot of stress.

Lean into the curve, and you will find unmeasurable bliss. :thumbs:
 
So much colors, dancing, fast talking and essential vitamins..

Fastest episode of Rider I've ever seen. This might need two more re-watches. From what I gathered though, it's ok.
 
Can't Bandai go back to voices for toys that don't sound... blatantly toyish? The Lock Seeds are only slightly better than the annoying Wizard bets. If Yggdrasil is supposed to be a throwback to SMART BRAIN, then at least make your gears sound like the Faiz belts.

the lock seeds come from a different dimension, so really i don't think the sounds or how the belt works has anything to do with the Yggdrasil corporation. the Genesis Driver maybe but not the Sengoku Driver.
 
if the main conflict is Rider VS Rider, why not just have Gaim get attacked by another Rider? Why bother with the Invess at all?

At least have a meaningful scene of Gaim meeting Baron, even if Baron doesn't have his Rider powers yet.

bro, the inves exist too. it's not just rider vs rider. many of the heisei rider series did this before, mainly ryuki and kabuto. having multiple riders feud against each other and still dealing with monsters.
 
- I must say, for a reluctant hero Kota is doing a much better job than Ryotaro's first fight. This is more like what I'd like to see: putting at least some effort into it, even if you might lose.

I really enjoyed this fight. I was reminded of the first Den-O fight as he was running away, but it was nice to see him chasing after the Invess just a few minutes later.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top