I'm torn on how to feel about this episode. I don't like how the transition has gone for Chase (like I said in the 26 thread, I don't dislike that this is the end result, just how quickly we got to this result), but he wasn't utilized badly in this episode at least. I liked actually getting to see Gou working on his own rather than him just popping up near the end like he used to in the earlier episodes - that would have been a really fun "Double Rider" dynamic for the monster of the week formula, having them solving the crime simultaneously through different means, then meeting up partway through and sharing info to finish things, but that's a moot point now I guess.
Regardless, on those fronts, it wasn't bad. On the other hand... This Shinnosuke stuff was, uh, not as good.
Does anyone else feel like they decided on this police plot last minute? Unless I totally missed it, I can't remember any mention of Shinnosuke's dad prior to them starting it up, whereas the things with Gou and Chase they're doing now are, execution aside, the product of buildup and foreshadowing we've been getting for weeks to months. On the other hand, the police stuff was never really presented in the same fashion - there was never a major focus on this kind of thing, save for some very minor bits with the Captain that seemed much more like they were building up to just revealing that he had set things up and was involved from the beginning. That, arguably, was being foreshadowed. The following plot thread in turn... maybe you could stretch that to say it was meant to build off those minor things, but I can't say I feel it was done well if that was the intention.
Comparing to the other two Riders' issues right now, it feels like they shoved this in for Shinnosuke because someone realized during a meeting about what the next big plot arc was (Chase changing sides and Gou getting pushed to his limits and revealing his backstory as a result) that oh crap our lead character isn't leading this storyline is he? and made it up on the spot to fix that.
That, or maybe they were getting complaints about Brain's new role as Medic's punching bag, but now suddenly he's involved in a subplot and all put together again?
I mean, we were presented with this slacker character who had motivational issues - motivation, or "drive," was sort of an underlying theme of the show for a little while. You'd think, if this had been planned, they would have mentioned it offhand just as backstory. If anything, they could have given it that much more impact if they'd done it that way. Early on, Shinnosuke could have been slacking and some other officers could comment that he's not worthy of being compared to his dad. They could have briefly touched on it then and introduce the concept, revisit it later after Gou arrives and Shinnosuke starts being more responsible and not needing to be pushed to get in gear as much, and by the time we get to this point, it would have been an accepted part of his backstory and something they could genuinely pull as a plot twist rather than just... pulling it.
Or maybe it's just me. Still, my opinion of the show after these last two episodes hasn't been going up, I can say that much. :disappoin