lazycoconut
I liked him when he wasn't a god
to Lazycoconut : While I agree that Kyoryu's subplots didn't have the focus that they deserved, I don't think Toqger really gave more focus to them : Mio's sympathy with Gritta for example : has it really been given more focus than Ian's rivalry with Aigalon? not sure of that; and I feel Torin's rivalry with Chaos has at least been given as much focus than Akira's rivalry with Schwartz; oh, and Tokatti's Mio obsession isn't really the kind of stuff that DESERVES focus, like Amy and Yayoi's Daigo obsession in Kyoryu.
You're mentioning the focus on the Shadow Line ; but my post was only dealing with the heroes, not the villains.
I agree the Tokacchi and Mio subplot is godawful and should not have happened at all. But it plays out over several episodes, it's ongoing, it incorporates a lot of their focus time, and it doesn't involve Right. Yes, all the ToQgers have sympathy for Gritta; but the show had a two-part episode to set up the idea of Mio having a special connection to her after they switch bodies, and this is referenced in most of Gritta's appearances. It is another ongoing connection that doesn't involve Right. Akira vs Schwarz does get more screen time than Torin vs Chaos, because Akira has his own focus episodes while Torin doesn't - so that subplot was always fitted in with something else.
By contrast, let's look at how Ian's rivalry with Dogold played out. There was his first focus episode, which just had a flashback to his friend's death (and that episode was about Daigo bringing Ian into the team.) There was the episode where he found out Aigaron was responsible, and even that was pretty brief; it wasn't the main story of the episode. Then there was the conclusion, where Ian barely featured - the focus was more on the Deboss plot, Aigaron learning the truth, and his feelings for Candelira. The whole thing was pretty sporadic and even when it did come up, the focus was not on Ian for long. So yes, I'd say Mio and Gritta's friendship is more prominent than that.
The Shadow Line focus is relevant, IMO, because it is a substantial part of the storyline that doesn't involve Right. (Much of the Z stuff does, but the others' scheming and infighting, and most of Gritta's storyline does not.) It means that the heroes occupy less of the story than the Kyoryugers did theirs, and that Right doesn't dominate the show.
Wouldn't it be interesting if, in that respect, Kagura was getting the focus rather than Right?
Yeah, I wish more had come of that. I know people didn't like the "Super Girl!" montages, but IMO she had the potential for an interesting character arc about having to overcome her comparative weaknesses. Initially, that was what it looked like: that the girls would be opposites, Kagura's character was about her determination to become strong despite starting out weak, while Mio's character was about how she was vulnerable despite seeming tough. But then Mio and Right started edging out Kagura, and she's ended up with little.