I think I may be leaving Toku....forever

Matrix, you're making a big deal out of nothing. I guess at 16 EVERYTHING is a big deal.

So I kept it secret. Everytime I had friends or family over, I would always delete my history of videos or even this site. Because i was scared of it.

I used to be proud to say "TOKU ROCKS!" Now, I just am embaressed.

And its wrong I know. I should be PROUD of everything about Toku. But with me switiching High Schools, I......I just can't take it. So, this is possibly my final post. I just need some time to think this all over.

Being a fan of this genre is neither something to be embarrassed of nor proud of. I mean really, think about it. It's a bunch of TV shows and movies. Like anything, if you like it you watch it. Otherwise you don't. That's where it starts and ends.

I had some friends over, and we were watchin year one. I accidently hit the play button on the dvd remote. Little did I know I had a Ultraman DVD in and it came on. My heart raced and I was made fun of the whole night.

If your friends are really harassing you I’d say you chose some pretty poor friends. But, I would wager it’s just some friendly teasing that you’re taking way too seriously.

What do you REALLY believe the worst case scenario will be here?

At the end of the day, whether you continue to be a fan or not isn’t going to make a lick of difference to anyone here.

But I am a teenager, I am only 16 (yes I am one of the younger ones) and just ahve too much on my mind.
If you want to talk about having too much on your mind, I'd be happy to trade stories. I have a good one that's been going on for the last two months involving $16,000 being stolen from me and almost being deported from Japan.

I'm not meaning to be an asshole, but I think you need to put this whole thing into perspective, because I'm really failing to see what your problems are here.
 
Yeah, normally these threads are super whiny and I just say "Good riddance" to the person because they obviously just want attention, but I think you could use a little advise here.

First, don't give this up. You obviously love it. Like many other people have said already that real friends wouldn't mock you forever about something you like. Get some new friends, to be frank. I get crap from people sometimes about "Watching Power Rangers" but who cares. The whole not letting it bother you thing and it becomes less fun for them thing really works.

When you meet friends who won't treat you like crap, which you should, introduce them to the stuff!!! I have three friends who watch Shinkenger with me now and my other friend is sitting next to me one episode away from finishing Kiva! My brother's really into Kamen Rider and just finished Kuuga recently. As much fun as it is to chat and make friends here, it's even more fun having real life friends to enjoy this stuff with!


I really hope you take what I say to heart, I think once you can be more secure with your hobbies and interests no matter what they are, and find friends who respect you and your unique interests, you'll be a very happy person...I know I am. :)
 
You know if you are going to live your life giving that big a **** about what others think about your hobbies or what ever... You are going to live a miserable life.
 
Dude...they'll stop teasing you eventually. Just walk away from them when they tease about you watching something they never heard or never seen before. They'll stop bugging you after awhile. Same situation with PR and even Super Sentai & Kamen Rider too.

Once you and your friends get into the late teens...your friends will stop bugging for good.

You just need to tell your friends saying like for example: "Hey, its my life and I'm allowed to watch whatever I like that interests me"....
 
I used to be proud to say "TOKU ROCKS!" Now, I just am embaressed.

And its wrong I know. I should be PROUD of everything about Toku. But with me switiching High Schools, I......I just can't take it. So, this is possibly my final post. I just need some time to think this all over.

-Matrix

Hope you sort this out. Everyone has a rough time defending their secret hobby. But really? You're looking at a guy who used to go to high school and openly proclaim his love for Sailor Moon. I brought a pack of Sailor Moon cards to play with my friends at school and no one gave a ****. They knew it was just my thing and I was the only one who was into it. I had prep friends, goth friends, punks, a couple computer nerd friends. No on gave a ****. I didn't get picked on or beat up over it.

Then again, it's all about confidence, personality, and just not being embarrassed.

Everyone has something they like. Just because what you like isn't the same as theirs, doesnt mean you cant share it. Make it your own. Let your love for Toku and PR define who you are at school and dont let it bring down the good vibes.

There are some real ass-wipes in school who will just trash you for stuff like that. But those guys arent your friends; or they are just friends who like to tease rough and you just have to tease rough back.

Of course, this is the same reaction when you buy toys and get flushed about it. When I buy PR toys I dont care. I let em know its for me. The people at the register dont know, dont care, and if they do, oh well. They can think what they want, I'm still giving them a sale!

:thumbs::castlerock:

So come back when you feel better dude!
 
I do all of my watching with a big group of friends who like Japanese stuff and action movies. Tokusatsu is not something you need to love alone or feel embarrassed about.

If your friends are ragging on you about it, it's only because they can tell it bothers you. They like being able to jerk your chain. If you were confident about it, then they wouldn't smell "blood in the water", so to speak.

They'd think you were weird, but whatever, anything halfway interesting was "weird" once. Hell, when I was a teenager, people thought watching anime or reading manga was freaky-strange... now it is thought of as just something teenagers should do!
 
I should have called this thread "Need your guys oppinion". I am just frustrated that is all. I mean, I went 2 years keeping this under wraps, and just one press of a button fucked me over. But in the end of the day, its just life, and it is what it is.

I do take **** like this seriously, and I know I shouldn't. I have just been bullied since I was in 4th grade, and now, the littlest things just get to me and I GO FUCKING INSANE! and that needs to stop from me.

I don't want to leave HJU or Toku. I know this shouldn't stop me, but for some reason it does. And I don't mean to sound whinny or anything like that, seriously, I don't LIKE posting in these type of threads nor making them.

This was just out of frustration.

Even though it happened yesterday, it still buged me today. Cause when I saw the Ultraman disc in my room, just brought back what I felt the night before. So I boxed everythin Toku up and was like, "Got to leave HJU no more TOKU!"

Really, I was just frustrated. But suprisingly, the one who calmed me down so fast was.......my mom?

Yeah real weird. I left my post on and she called me down. And told me how proud she was of me to watfh my, well in her words, "Japanese Gaga" lol it makes me laugh. And I was confused.

She said because I am able to speak a different language now, I sorta can, but nothing to serious. And she took me in the garage and handed my stuff back to me, and told me to stop worring about what people say to you, and just be yourself.

I mean, she knows about HJU and stuff, she uses my computer a lot and she sees it up. And she likes it, because it lets me be me. HJU lets me be the person I really am. And I thank everyone.

So sorry for me little break down. This thread can be locked. No reason for it to stay. I am sorry for the people who hate these threads to read this. But I am not going anywhere.

HJU ROCKS AND SO DOES MOTHER FUCKIGN TOKU~!
 
Yeah, it's really almost the same as other Japanese entertainment, really.

Personally, I'm only 17, and I actually talk about Toku when it comes up. No one asks about it, of course, but I don't try to hide it, either. There's nothing to hide. Entertainment is entertainment. I mean, we shouldn't rag on jocks for being the nerdier people on the social scale, either. I don't, I've got plenty of friends who are jocks and probably don't see Toku as something awesome.

But I know it is to me, and I've even gotten some friends into it. There'll be someone who likes it, and if your friends are gonna be a bunch of immature douchebags, well, get some new ones. It might take a while but you shouldn't have to give up an interest to get some friends.

Edit: Oh, looks like you've made a decision. There goes my grandstanding post...
 
Awight, thats good to hear.
Also, here's a suggestion, if your friends try to make fun of you again, be positive, and say "hell yea" and try to get them to like it :169:
It's what I do.
 
Yeah, good idea. It also very rarely works to go cold turkey on something and then just suddenly stop doing something you were so dedicated to for a long time. It's one thing if you just sort of phase out of it, but quitting cold turkey is hard and leaves a huge hole.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top