How would you persuade your friend to watch Toku ?

GekiBlack

Red Falcon
Well, i am currently trying to coax my friend to watch Toku and have him/her hooked but so far i have failed :disappoin

My question is how would you convinced your friends who have never watched any Toku shows have him or her watching it and loving it and if your friends needs any convincing, how would you do it ?
 
Somehow, I don't need to convince my friends. When they come over to my house and saw me watching Toku on my computer, they never dissed me or things like that. I was surprised one of my friends fell in love with Rio! :laugh:
Another one kinda liked certain guys in the series I own. :D
 
I don't think any of my friends would be interested in Toku at all. But if I had to try...maybe I'd show them a bit of the action? Although, it probably won't happen...no one knows I enjoy Toku. XD
 
Toku would no doubt come off as very unpopular around where I live. I was however, able to get a good friend of mine to like it through Kabuto. He's a technology buff and loves mecha and powered armor (Metal Gear Solid, Halo, Splinter Cell, etc). Since Kabuto was technology-heavy, not to mention funny at points, I was able to get him to relate to it, and then moved to 555 since it too was tech-heavy. Eventually he came to enjoy the Kamen Rider franchise.

My point, try to find something they could relate to within a certain toku, then go from there.
 
Remember though, some people are just stubborn and would never let themselves watch.

Really, it all depends on the friend. I think for girls the major selling point is the actors, if they're into the pretty boy type any ways. For guys, I'm guessing that varies... Mecha, fighting, the girls (or guys :P)... But yeah, know what they like best, and try to find a tokusatsu that appeals to that.

If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. Tokusatsu isn't for everyone.
 
My experience basically went like this. There was a big group of us and on a lark I brought the sentai team-up movies I had. Now the first was CarRanger/Ohranger which is obviously not very serious. We basically marathoned them up to Gingaman vs. GoGo V. What was interesting was that since I started with the intentionally comedic stuff that seemed to get alot of the obvious jokes and laughs out of the way so by the time we got to the Gingaman GoGo V team-up they were starting to really get into the spirit of it and more willing to play along with the genre on its own terms.

I've also found that starting somebody with an earlier New Gen Rider show like Kuuga or Agito or even a movie like Hakaider helps to. It also helps that in all these cases these are people who were watchers of some kind of genre material be it anime or kung-fu movies or whatever. Some folks will just find the Asian style of stories too weird for them even before you had superheroes and monsters into the mix.

I think the main thing is to just try to be cool about it. Don't get too serious nor too seriously offended.
 
I got one friend to watch all of Ryuki and that was it.

My advice is DON'T. But don't let that stop you. Super Never Give Up.

Tokusatsu is for us "special" ones. :)
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top