Good Sentai/Bad Sentai: What makes you love/hate a sentai?

Most recent Sentai series have done that, heroes defeat the little monster, mecha defeat the big monster

Honestly, I think Zyuranger is the only show that didn't do this. I seem to recall Goggle V kind of shaking the theme up by having the giant monster be a different design piloted by the little monster, too.
 
DekaRanger played around with that too. Sometimes you'd get the mecha fight first (since most of the Alienizers didn't grow to giant size but hopped in robots they bought from Abarella) and then a human-sized conflict with the Alienizer after they punched out of their doomed machine. There were a few Alienizers who did grow to giant size, but it is important to note that, in those episodes, they were never hit by a finishing move before they went giant.

This basically means DekaRanger was better than most series about making the human-sized finishing moves mean something.
 
Most recent Sentai series have done that, heroes defeat the little monster, mecha defeat the big monster

Well, yeah. I get that - I mean, nearly every sentai does that, but there was never really given a reason why there needed to be two fights. Like, why didn't they just stomp around in their big form in the first place? Or why even a big form was necessary. If there's an ability to revive a "dead" monster of the week, can't they just keep them normal sized? Maybe? Shinkenger explained that straight off the bat. Like, "Look, we just gotta kill them twice."

Or "Oh look, there is a plane overhead. I think I will stop strangling you and go and chase this plane!" Please, Sentai, never do that.

O_o I missed that moment. When did that happen?
 
Well, yeah. I get that - I mean, nearly every sentai does that, but there was never really given a reason why there needed to be two fights. Like, why didn't they just stomp around in their big form in the first place? Or why even a big form was necessary. If there's an ability to revive a "dead" monster of the week, can't they just keep them normal sized? Maybe? Shinkenger explained that straight off the bat. Like, "Look, we just gotta kill them twice."

The usual explanation is that they've been upgraded or just "let's make 'em big enough to crush those pesky kids!"

O_o I missed that moment. When did that happen?

That was in Kamen Rider 555, lol. I was just saying I hope Sentai wouldn't do it :laugh:
 
That was in Kamen Rider 555, lol. I was just saying I hope Sentai wouldn't do it :laugh:

Oh man... I'm SOO behind on Kamen Rider (Damn my need to watch them all in chronological order! T_T)

That sounds pretty freaking funny though. If they did do that in Sentai, I think I would just laugh at it all. ^_^
 
I think you can just skip mecha fights and look at the monster as having been killed the team attack (the cannon or soccer ball or whatever they might use).

I kind of feel like that the monster is killed in the small-scale fight, and when they're resurrected as a giant, they're really just zombie-like. What made me used to think this was that in shows like Changeman and Liveman, they made a whole deal about how the monsters could speak. And then when they would be resurrected, they no longer spoke, but would just growl and grunt like any ordinary daikaijuu or a stupid zombie. That's my take on it, anyway.

And in the shows like Dairanger, Carranger, Gingaman or Timeranger, where it's up to the monster itself to grow giant whenever it pleases, it's really as a last resort. I think Gingaman even wrote in that once they grow giant, their lifespan is limited.

Hey, I think Sentai should do away with mecha, but...円円円円円円円円.
 
Like
-Sentais with some serious/dark themes.
-Suits/Weapons/Mecha that looks awesome, not closterf****d.
-Serious villains that have actual reasons to be evil.
-Characters that are not Mary Sues.
-Senshi that do not look like 12 year olds.

Hate
-When merchandise runs the entire sentai to the point where there is no decent storytelling present in the show.
-Villains that act anything like Dr. Doofensmirtz. Trust me, these types of villains are pathetic and not really menacing.
-Terrible Sixth Ranger (I'm lookin at you Genta)
-Sentais that are too comedy driven.
 
This is what I think should be in the overrated thread. People thinking dark=good.

There should be some dark/serious themes in sentai to avoid making it too lighthearted and funny. Not that I hate it, but there should be an even amount of light and dark moments in Sentais to make them good.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top