Good Sentai/Bad Sentai: What makes you love/hate a sentai?

I personally don't mind "asshole" characters so much. When it gets bad is when we're expected to automatically forgive anything he does because he's ShinkenRed and he's the all-powerful Red Ranger hero, or he's GaoSilver and he's the angsty pretty boy, etc. etc. (the show's pet character, in other words)

That does sound like the kind of thing that Next was complaining about though -- personality flaws that are not acknowledged by the show as being personality flaws.

I mean, I think most people watching Kabuto would say to themselves 'holy crap, that guy is an asshole.' Being an asshole is a pretty big personality flaw! But then the show says 'no, he's not an asshole. He's a perfect human being.' What you're seeing doesn't match what the show is telling you; that's when it's bad writing.
 
That does sound like the kind of thing that Next was complaining about though -- personality flaws that are not acknowledged by the show as being personality flaws.

I mean, I think most people watching Kabuto would say to themselves 'holy crap, that guy is an asshole.' Being an asshole is a pretty big personality flaw! But then the show says 'no, he's not an asshole. He's a perfect human being.' What you're seeing doesn't match what the show is telling you; that's when it's bad writing.

This is exactly why I will never get how anyone can like Tendou.
 
I think some people just like the idea of being intrinsically superior to everyone around them. In some ways that's the logical end of identifying with a character on a pure power fantasy level.

I'm more wired to root for rebels and underdogs, myself, but it takes all kinds....
 
This is exactly why I will never get how anyone can like Tendou.

'Cause I love heroes. And I get tired of seeing them get smacked around for ten episodes before FINALLY winning. Its nice and all, sure, but sometimes I just want to see the good side fucking CURBSTOMP. Tendou provided that excellently.

And yeah, when you're right all the time...you can be an asshole. In fact, you HAVE to be. If you're right AND a nice guy about it, then you're a perfect character. That's a problem.
 
Thanks to Mr.Yellow for the idea.

What make you like certain Sentai's, but not others?
Furthermore, what makes you violently hate one but love another to death?

This fandom is like a Sentai itself, a Rainbow of different tastes and wants.
No series is perfect, but some might be more so to some and anything but to others.

What series do you's guys and gal's go gaga over? and why?
Are there and series you dislike? and why?

One series I really enjoyed watching was Hurricanger. I was really fun, the humour, the action, even the darkness of the GouRaijer and the cuteness of Furabijou..

One series I didn't like so much was Go-Onger. I just think this series didn't do it much for me and Go-On was annoying.

Although there was a time when I really hated Power Rangers Ninja Storm, and went apeshit over Saban's Masked Rider, and even had an argument with Aarowned about it (I wonder where good old Aaron from Ireland is nowadays?), I don't "violently hate" TV shows anymore.

I'm 25 now and we live in an era where we have the internet and if we want to watch a Japanese show in it's original form, we can. When I look back at Saban's Masked Rider I think "OMG that was such a crap show!! But hey, we can watch Kamen Rider BLACK RX now so what's there to complain?".

Although if I could turn back time I could try to convince the British TV people to do an English dub of Kamen Rider BLACK RX instead of air Saban's Masked Rider, but then again, even if time travel was possible I don't think they would take me seriously. Oh well.

Go gaga over? Well Boukenger didn't do it well for me but the main reason I would watch it again would be for Natsuki so.. I guess I'm a bit gaga over her.
 
'Cause I love heroes. And I get tired of seeing them get smacked around for ten episodes before FINALLY winning. Its nice and all, sure, but sometimes I just want to see the good side fucking CURBSTOMP. Tendou provided that excellently.

And yeah, when you're right all the time...you can be an asshole. In fact, you HAVE to be. If you're right AND a nice guy about it, then you're a perfect character. That's a problem.

Tendou isn't a hero. Everything he is doing he does for himself. And it has nothing to do with him winning. It has everything to do with him thinking his **** doesn't stink, when it stinks worse than any other character in that show. It was proven that he wasn't right all the time, and no one is right all the time.
 
Tendou isn't a hero. Everything he is doing he does for himself. And it has nothing to do with him winning. It has everything to do with him thinking his **** doesn't stink, when it stinks worse than any other character in that show. It was proven that he wasn't right all the time, and no one is right all the time.

And, here we stop. See, that's so far different from the way I saw the show, the only thing that would happen is we derail the thread pointlessly into an argument where no side ever gets anywhere. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the show or the character; he's (and the show, of course) obviously not for everyone, but I know you've got your own favorites so its cool, right?
 
And, here we stop. See, that's so far different from the way I saw the show, the only thing that would happen is we derail the thread pointlessly into an argument where no side ever gets anywhere. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the show or the character; he's (and the show, of course) obviously not for everyone, but I know you've got your own favorites so its cool, right?

Yup sounds good to me. :thumbs:
 
Kagami in my eyes was the real star of Kamen Rider Kabuto. He was the best written character in the series. His story was good.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top