George Lucas Fucks the Fans..... Again.

But they didn't have to back and clean up the original prints frame by frame did they? Especially since Star Wars came out in '77 and Raiders didn't come out till '81. I know Lucasfilm didn't have to do as much cleaning to the prints w/ Empire & Jedi due to them still being in okay shape, but ANH was in really bad shape that they pretty much had to go frame by frame.
Which I don't believe they did w/ the Raiders movies. Then again, I could be wrong.

Point is, what is being released is the laserdisc copies (which again, are pretty damn good) and nothing to get the fanbases collective panties in a bunch nor to scream bloody murder about.

-RF
 
Oh I'm not commenting on these new DVD's or their quality as I'm not a Star Wars fan and really could care less. What I'm saying is that yes, the Indiana Jones trilogy was digitally cleaned frame-by-frame and had the audio remastered and DTS'd, and that it would be very, very little problem for them to do the same to the original Star Wars trilogy. It wouldn't be as cheap as ripping the Laserdiscs, but they could do it for less than it takes to produce one of the 7,000 new Star Wars games that comes out every year.
 
Well you know a shitload more about movies than I do, so I'll defer to your knowlege.
I'm just basing my arugument off of what Lucasfilm said in their press release...
Lucasfilm Press Release said:
.... As you may know, an enormous amount of effort was put into digitally restoring the negatives for the Special Editions. In one scene alone, nearly 1 million pieces of dirt had to be removed, and the Special Editions were created through a frame-by-frame digital restoration. The negatives of the movies were permanently altered for the creation of the Special Editions, and existing prints of the first versions are in poor condition.

So many fans have requested the original movies, we wanted to find a way to bring them to you. But since these movies do not represent George's artistic vision, we could not put the extraordinary time and resources into this project as we did with the Special Editions. The 1993 Laserdisc masters represented the best source for providing the original versions as DVD bonus material. Although these are non-anamorphic versions, they do preserve the original widescreen composition of the movies. ....

It was just alot easier, less time consuming, and cost less to transfer the Laserdisc copies rather than go back and clean the films again frame by frame. But for SW fanboys, not getting the movies is enough...they have to be super digital w/ the latest sound quality. Again, Lucas was dammed if he didn't, dammed if he did. But I don't think he's trying to '****' fans at all.

-RF
 
What are the "Special Editions" referred to in the quote? The ones with the new footage?
 
GrnPsychoGarren said:
Again, Lucas can do whatever he wants. It's his story, his movies. His dream, he wants it this way so he can do what he wants. More power to him. I dont really care one way or the other. I like the originals but **** just because I watch it and like it doesnt mean I have a say in what the man does with his franchise.

Screwing over fans? Hes just doing what he wants to do, and I admire that in a way that he doesnt sit there and try to please the fans no matter what demands they make. Hes just trying to make himself happy first.

You dont have to like the decision but its funny to see so many people bitch like their complaints matter. If you dont like it so much then dont buy the dvds.

No sales is stronger than bitching

Sorry but......


****. That.

He had his vision. And then had it again nearly three decades later. It was in the movie theatre. I don't think you should get to piss on what the fans want in the DVD and hide behind the excuse that its your vision. If the fans were really united then while he was "making himself happy first" he would have no damned money from releasing this set for ninety damned dollars.

I'm not a Star Wars fan either but I think the big deal is more or less him packaging the bullshit "Special Editions" with the originals, and then charging for it. He could take the originals, sell it for 50 bucks, and I think no one would bitch about the lack of restoration.
 
I didn't mind the Special Editions; it was nice to see them digitally cleaned up and things like building lines and constructs in the corner of Luke's (ship - forget name) on Hoth were cleaned up and hidden. What I DID mind was just one thing: Greedo shoots Han Solo (ridiculously MISSES from that distance of what - 2.5 feet, if that), and THEN Han blows him away. WTF.

1) Greedo as much of an idiot he was, is, wouldn't miss at that distance, unless he was aiming to intimidate.

2) Solo by that time was hardened and cutthroat enough to have just shot Greedo FIRST, no questions asked. THAT was part of the appeal of his character. With that one (PC- Pg-13) change, that went to smoke. THAT'S prolly my biggest complaint about Lucas' new stuff.

As for his pimping the market or whatever, it's his stuff; he's got the right to do whatever the heck he wants with them. Point being, despite whatever he's done to the Originals, people will still refer to him as an iconic figure and thinker when it comes to the SFX Sci-fi genre of movies. Of course, his complete bastardization of a plethora of mythology withstanding - but that's a point for another time.
 
I'm telling you guys, years from now after Lucas has passed on his son is gonna call a press conferance in which he'll announce that every night over the last 9 years after Lucas went to sleep the entire crew of Lacusarts and most of the actors snuck back onto the sets and filmed the REAL versions of the movies. we'll get anaking played by haley joel osmont, NO jar jar. the sith plot will make sense (How would your plan have worked if Maul HAD captured amidala?) and then all will be right in the universe......and in the REAL version. Lucas' kid won't have a higher kill count than Yoda.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top