Games that Got Bad Reviews that You Liked

Since I stopped reading reviews looong ago I may be wrong on some of these so don't hold me to it too much.

New Legends (old Xbox game based in steam punk Ancient China)
Bloody Roar series (the fighting game where they turn into animals)
God Hand
Soul Calibur III/IV
Tekken 4/6
Dynasty Warriors 5/6/Strikeforce
Samurai Warriors 1/2
Warriors Orochi 1/2

And my personal favorite, Arcana Heart. If you don't know it's an all-girl 2D Anime fighting game that's quite popular in Japan from what I've seen. The first didn't sell too well here in the US but there's a 3rd installment that will be on sale on the US PSN.
 
Samurai Warriors 3

Stupidly large amount of content
Variable missions and huge and distinct playable cast
Really hard game in the harder difficulties, but perfectly playable in standard and/or easy
Everything had co-op
In addition to everything, the game even had a (limited) character creator, including appearance and a campaign mode just for those characters.

I just loved the game, but reviews we very harsh and plainly lies at times.

Yes, the minor enemies don't attack much playing on normal, but then just go on hard or worse and even the peons will start poking the player all the time if you get in their range. Then there's also the very different gameplay structure of the Murasama Castle mode, which makes the game play more like a standard action game, without the focus on the army units, conquering gates and objectives in general (well, aside from a bunch of escort missions).

The game does have problems though, like the framerate and the graphics really aren't good, but that's not nearly enough for the negative reception it had from most reviewers.
 
One I forgot on my original list...SNK Vs Capcom:CardFighters DS.Thankfully I got one of the non-defective copies.

I`ll add a couple to the new list of" games that got good reviews you didn`t like"
WWE SmackDown!:Just Bring It-PS2
The only SmackDown game I really did not like,mostly because of the short story mode.I prefer the longer story modes from some of the other titles,although I think Universe Mode(2011)needs to become the new main mode in future installments.


And now the game that may get me lynched....
Viewtiful Joe-GameCube
I should say that I actually did not hate this game at all.I just wasn`t really "wowed" by it.I could tell a lot of effort went into it,but it just didn`t have anything that really made it stand out.I never got around to trying the sequel,but I did like the two VJ games that came out on the DS and PSP.
 
It's already been covered in this thread, but put me on the short list of people who love FF XIII.

Also love Xenosaga, although....that ending...I'm still kinda ZWUH? about it.

:sly:

Silent Hill Homecoming. I'm just too big of a fanboy to dislike anything that this series has produced. Love them all, and I'm sure I'll continue to.
 
Oh yeah, I forgot about Devil Kings (PS2) and Sengoku Basara: Samurai Heroes (PS3). I know X-Play killed poor Devil Kings for being like Dynasty/Samurai Warriors and I don't think Sengoku was treated any better. But both are awesome games IMO, you won't get far on Hard mode in SB button mashing.
 
I'm pretty sure most games I like fall under this category, these days. I'm a big JRPG fan, and they aren't terrible popular with most game reviewers.

Atelier Rorona was one of my favorite games of last year, and I believe the critics were pretty brutal to that one.
 
MS Saga: A New Dawn

Yeah, the plot was pretty basic RPG mixed with some basic Gundam tropes and some of the boss fights could be ridiculously balls hard but it was still a pretty fun game.

Once you understood how the mechanics worked the battles were pretty fun and the ability to customize your Mobile Suits (while not as detailed as it could have been) could lead to some neat unique units.
 
warioworldgamecube42919.jpg

Well it didn't get amazing reviews. It was fun just too short.
 
MS Saga: A New Dawn

Yeah, the plot was pretty basic RPG mixed with some basic Gundam tropes and some of the boss fights could be ridiculously balls hard but it was still a pretty fun game.

Once you understood how the mechanics worked the battles were pretty fun and the ability to customize your Mobile Suits (while not as detailed as it could have been) could lead to some neat unique units.

I loved that game.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top