jpc6li.jpg

From IGN.COM

PS3 Error Not Affecting GameStop Console Trade-Ins
British retailer GAME remains cautious.
by Jim Reilly
March 1, 2010 - Videogame retailer GameStop will still take your old PlayStation 3 consoles.

A company spokesperson confirmed to IGN this afternoon that GameStop has no plans to halt its trade-in program for the older, non-slim PlayStation 3 units currently affected by a widespread error, which is believed to be linked to a bug found in the hardware.

British retailer GAME has told IGN that PlayStation 3 owners experiencing this issue should wait for an update before attempting to trade in their console.

"Our advice is to wait for Sony to release an update which will fix this error and we anticipate that this will happen within the next few days," a company spokesperson told IGN. "If you decide to trade the console in now with the error still present, it will be treated as a faulty console and the value that you will get for it will be much lower than a working console."

"If you still wish to trade it in, please visit your nearest GAME store and speak to a store staff."

In a statement sent this morning, Sony formally addressed an issue that arose yesterday afternoon and has reportedly caused most PlayStation 3 consoles dated before 2009 to stop working almost entirely. Some effects range from not being able to load certain games, actively connect to PlayStation Network, and play downloaded video content.

Since then, the company seems to have identified the problem. An internal clock bug has caused the consoles to reset to December 31, 1999. Sony has told these owners to not turn on their consoles in the meantime until a fix is issued.

Like a passing wind...
there's nothing related to PSN with that, so it shouldn't pose an issue

I'm still freaked out to turn mine on. I heard that the error comes up even when you are offline on the XMB. I have mine set not to log on automatically.