dubbed toku in the 80s

From hearsay:
JAKQ Dub called "The Lucky Aces"
Goranger.

I think the Lucky Aces one was a Filipino English dub (?), so was Goranger, but under the name of StarRangers.
I think in the Philippines in the 80's JAKQ aired 1st, then Goranger.
 
I think the Lucky Aces one was a Filipino English dub (?), so was Goranger, but under the name of StarRangers.
I think in the Philippines in the 80's JAKQ aired 1st, then Goranger.

You are correct sir. Lucky Aces (JAKQ) was the first English Dubbed Sentai series broadcast in the Philippines, followed by Star Rangers (Go-Ranger).

Philippines had a good amount of English dubbed series, most of the early Sentai shows, Kamen Rider, Kamen Rider X, various Ultra series, and much more. Theres a ton of giant robot anime that was dubbed as well including Voltes V, Daimos, Baratack, and a ton more obscure shows. Unfortunately very few people back then had VCRs so few home recordings exist to this day. Theres Just a handful of episodes of the Go Ranger dub, only 2 known episodes of the original Kamen Rider, only 1 episode of the Kamen Rider X dub.....Hopefully somebody will come across some more home recordings and transfer them to DVD one day, or better yet, come across the original master tapes from the Network (wishful thinking) :sweat:
 

I don't remember Ichigou or X been dubbed in English in my country (Philippines)... or was it from Malaysia/Singapore?
 

Every show that was dubbed in spanish was dubbed in french... because they translated from french to spanish. that's why you can find the same mistakes in both versions
Liveman did get a full, and good, translation in latin america though. But the European spanish tl was ****.

There are also a few shows that were translated, dubbed and never released in french.
 
The 1971-1973 Kamen Rider show did got a English dub made in the early 80's

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMTSZfREYWw"]Kamen Rider (1971) - English Dubbed! - YouTube[/ame]
 
The 1971-1973 Kamen Rider show did got a English dub made in the early 80's

Kamen Rider (1971) - English Dubbed! - YouTube

I really hate tape traders. I mean seriously, who the hell still trades tapes in 2013? Anyway, I'm a member of several dozen private torrent trackers and one of them almost has this sort of obnoxious mentality about not posting the content anywhere else because then it won't be as valuable

I get that it's rare, I get that it's not as widely available, but shouldn't that give you MORE incentive to share it with the world?


Also, apparently there's an English Dub of Cybercops scurrying around somewhere in the back alleys of the Philippines. I am making it my life's work to try and at least find one of those tapes
 
Hey Guys!! Black Ranger RX (formerly known as Rising Sun Ranger) returning to Henshin Justice, because.. what an awesome thread!!


The Jetman clip I uploaded onto YouTube years ago, was actually a fan-made parody dub that contained swearing, and used "Go Go Power Rangers" as it's background music. I would happily re-upload this clip for you all to enjoy but unfortunately I've lost the clip, because it was on a DVD R, I was being really clumsy and knocked over a glass of cola and got cola all over the DVD R.

There was also an AbaRanger parody dub by the same people behind the Jetman parody, but I've lost that too, because at the time I was having Windows XP re-installed. I think Keith Hayward originally uploaded both of these clips onto Japan Hero. Maybe he still has these clips and if he wanted to he could re-upload them on the internet.

The Kamen Rider Black RX clip was ripped from my friend Basri's VCD. I think it's the same dub as the one from the Philippines considering how cheesy it was. In the dub the main hero referred himself as "Black Masked Rider RX" and his Revolcane was called the "Laser Schemitar". Unfortunately along with the Jetman clip I've lost it, and if Basri wanted to he could re-rip the VCD and re-upload it, but I think Basri's busy these days.

Winspector was definitely dubbed in German. It was pretty much my first Tokusatsu (before Power Rangers) as I was lucky enough to live in Germany at the time. It was aired on RTL very early in the mornings, and to my recollection I was only lucky enough to catch about 2 episodes. I did at one time catch the very end of one episode (Biker was crying, LOL!!).

I believe a few other Tokusatsu shows/films have been brought over to Germany but none that I'm too familiar with. I have come across this interesting thread though.. Kamen Rider briefly made it into Germany though a German dubbing of a Chinese film called "Krieg der Infras".

To my recollection the only Tokusatsu superhero film ever to make it to the UK was the Cutie Honey film starring Eriko Sato. Ultraman was shown in the UK but not as a TV show, only clips of some Ultraman shows were shown on Johnathon Ross's "Japanorama" show, and bizzarely enough also on Eurotrash, which is supposed to be a documentary series about European sex culture. I heard the the Sci Fi Channel was going to do an English dub of Ultraman Dyna but Tsuburaya cancelled the deal because Sci Fi channel wanted to change the original music and replace it with Techno beats, and Tsuburaya didn't like that.

This thread is supposed to be about dubbed Tokusatsu in the 80's but since people are also talking about Toku in other decades I thought I'd just make a list of Tokusatsu shows/films thatwere eventually dubbed/subbed in English. This includes parodies and excludes fansubs. I'm not entirely sure of all of them though, these are judging from what I've learned, what I've experience as well as from heresay.

Go Ranger
Dubbed as "Star Rangers" in the Philippines and subbed by JN Productions in Hawaii.
JAKQ
Subbed by JN Productions in Hawaii, and dubbed in the Philippines as "Lucky Aces".
Battle Fever J
Subbed by JN Productions in Hawaii.
Dynaman
Parody from Night Flight on USA Network.
Bioman
Filipino English dub.
Jetman
Half of it was dubbed in English, the rest was dubbed in Filipino.

Kamen Rider
Filipino English dub.
Kamen Rider V3
Subbed by JN Productions in Hawaii.
Kamen Rider Black RX
English dub from Philippines.
Kamen Rider Z.O.
Dubbed in English in the U.S.A as a Sega Mega CD game.
Many Heisei Kamen Rider series (such as Ryuki, Faiz, Blade, etc..)
Dubbed / Subbed in English in Singapore
Kamen Rider Kabuto
Filipino English Dub aired on Cartoon Network. Also aired in Singapore.
Masked Rider: The First
Brought over to the USA on DVD and subbed in English.

Ultraman
Dubbed in English in the USA.
Ultra Seven
Dubbed in English in the USA.
Ultraman Ace
Filipino English Dub
Ultraman Tiga
Parody Dub by 4Kids.
Ultraman Cosmos
Singaporean English Dub

Kikaida
Subbed by JN Productions in Hawaii.
Kikaida 01
Subbed by JN Productions in Hawaii.
Inazuman
Subbed by JN Productions in Hawaii.
Cutie Honey (Eriko Sato)
Dubbed in the USA. Also released in the UK on DVD but sub only).
Solbrain
Filipino English Dub.
Giant Robo
Dubbed in the USA as "Johnny Sokko and his Flying Robot".
Cybercop
Rumoured Filipino English Dub.
 
Those are correct.

Jetman
Half of it was dubbed in English, the rest was dubbed in Filipino.

Kamen Rider Black RX
English dub from Philippines.

Cybercop
Rumoured Filipino English Dub.

Not really:
Jetman was fully dubbed in Filipino. There was never an English dub of it in the Philippines (where I came from).
There was never a dub of BLACK RX in either Filipino or English, considering we Filipinos got the crappy Saban version.
Cybercop? can't tell, since I don't remember that show aired there.
 

Well, there definately was an English dub of Jetman somewhere if it wasn't from the Philippines. Maybe Singapore?

As for the Cybercop dub I was really just repeating what someone said earlier in the thread.
 
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…