Just saw the first episode, and what do I think of this? I gotta say this... I hated Dragonball Z because it has LONG, LONG talk, it was incredibly bored and less fight. As for Kai... that is much, much better and I actually enjoyed a lot. Definitely gonna looking forward to the second episode.
I like it. I doubt TOEI will definitely release Dragonball Kai in U.S. and plan to buy that on DVD.
I wouldn't be surprised if they already have the rights due to the existing licensing agreement. And if they don't, I highly doubt any other company would be able to outbid them for it.
Start before Gohan has Pan and erase that annoying B#%% altogether ! Then carry off from the recent special. Also, they should make Goku into a more supportive role as Goten takes his father's torch and begins the adventure anew. The sotry also should be written as a major tragedy ( Death of parents) and motivate him to team up with her. Basically my idea is a rehash of Db's .