Do You Watch "Old" Movies? 80's and 90's?

I was born in 1984, and thus don't remember much of the '80s (having only been five when they ended), but yeah - I still watch stuff from the '80s. My favorite movie ever, Blade Runner, was released in the '80s, and most of the anime and kung fu/Hong Kong action movies that I like were from that period. Of course, I also watch stuff from the '60s, '70s, and even the '30 and '40s (I love me some film noir). So I'm perhaps not the person who will give the most representative of answers to this part of the question.

As to the other part: unfortunately, I do think a lot of younger people now would just scoff at the Millius/Schwarzenegger version of Conan the Barbarian, awesome though it is, for the simple reason that it's "old." For example, I was working at a video store when Rob Zombie's remake of Halloween came out on DVD. I had a number of teenagers express dismay when it was rented out, and when I recommended they rent the original (which is another of my favorite movies) instead, I had at least two respond with, "But that's old."

Similarly, there was an anime group here in town whose meetings I used to attend; I once brought my DVDs of the original Guyver OVAs, and when I mentioned to someone that I'd brought them, his response also was, "But that's old." This guy wasn't even much younger than me - I'm 25, and I know he was in his 20s. No one expressed much interest when I showed up with Beast King GoLion, either.

So yes, the impression I have is that there is already a definite prejudice in younger people's minds when it comes to things that weren't made within the last, say, ten years.
 
80's and 90's movies being "old" makes my heart break. The last two movies I watched were Jezebel and The Thief of Bagdad (with Sabu). Those are old movies. 80's or 90's flicks are just "not new."
 
Psh, I'd rather watch 80's and 90's movies than the constant remakes of them.

Oh, and Robo cop is the shizz...[HIDE]:sayin:[/HIDE]
 
Oh whatever. Movies from the 80s and 90s are still plenty of fun. I'll also have to agree with the people here who said that they beat out current movies. In fact, here are some of the movies from those decades in my collection:

Aladdin 1-3
American History X
Back to the Future 1-3
The Basketball Diaries
Batman 1-4
Beavis and Butt-head Do America
The Crow 1 & 2
Ghost
Independence Day
Jurassic Park 1 & 2
The Karate Kid 1-3
The Next Karate Kid
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie (come on, you all know you still like that)
Turbo: A Power Rangers Movie
Mortal Kombat 1 & 2
The Outsiders
Scream 1 & 2
Speed
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1 & 2
Transformers (1985 of course)
Who Framed Roger Rabbit
The Wizard

So you might not like some of those movies, but they're my picks, and that's just fine with me. I've even got movies that came out before the 80s, and I think they hold a candle to current movies just fine. So there.
 
Last edited:

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top