Breaking News: Sony's Making Their Own Super Smash Bros Equivalent!

Chief HJU News Editor
Rumble was. They got sued like crazy for that.

I honestly don't know who any but 3 of those characters are; Kratos, Drake & Ico and that's because those games are popular.

The original Smash Bros only had 12 characters, and some of them would be thought of as pretty "maybe" at the time. (The Dragon Emblem characters, Ness). I think they can probably make it work.

Fair point.

Still... I dunno. If Sony REALLY wants to do a big team-up between the various IP they have under license it feels like they should try to do something more unique with them than just copy Smash Bros.

With Smash Bros, even with the different character tones, there's a certain unity of... "whimsy", I think is the word I'm looking for? Or at the very least, they all exist in an environment where their ratings don't clash with each other.

Like, is Sony's game going to have Kratos casually and viscerally disembowel people before strangling someone else with the intestines while Parappa sings a rap song about friendship in the background?

The word of the day is YES!YES!YES!
I`m not surprised by this announcement.When you create a game as popular as Smash Bros., you`re bound to see clones.
We got two TMNT games like Smash Bros..Mutant Melee for the X-Box/GameCube and Smash Up for the Wii/PS2.Smash Up was way better than Mutant Melee

The first Marvel Super Hero Squad game had Smash Bros.-esque elements

There was a Sonic game for the GBA that copied Smash Bros.

Those are four I can name off the top of my head..I think there are more

Continuing the Creddie legacy
I`m not surprised by this announcement.When you create a game as popular as Smash Bros., you`re bound to see clones.
We got two TMNT games like Smash Bros..Mutant Melee for the X-Box/GameCube and Smash Up for the Wii/PS2.Smash Up was way better than Mutant Melee

The first Marvel Super Hero Squad game had Smash Bros.-esque elements

There was a Sonic game for the GBA that copied Smash Bros.

Those are four I can name off the top of my head..I think there are more

I think one of them is Cartoon Network Punch-Time Explosion, previously a 3DS exclusive.

Heroes are forever
Parappa included? Oh, I want this.

they'd better put Spyro in this game. him and Crash Bandicoot were the closest sony ever had to mascots
Indeed, those 2 better be there.

On their defense, TMNT's fighting game history goes way back to the SNES days.

The motion controller wasn't copied.
Really? It seems like a blatant rip-off to me.

The word of the day is YES!YES!YES!
On their defense, TMNT's fighting game history goes way back to the SNES days.

You just brought back memories of when I kicked the living crap out of an overly-confident opponent in TMNT:Tournament Fighters

Him(the opponent):I want to play you in TMNT: Tournament Fighters

Me-OK

Him:You know I`ll beat you

Needless to say,I think the poor guy only won one round in a total of four or five fights. His moaning of "I thought this was gonna be like Mortal Kombat!" sticks out in my mind to this day.

DON'T PUSH THAT BUTTON!
And here we go....how does sony copy nintendo exactly?

The Video Game Controller Family Tree

The motion controller wasn't copied.

Motion controlling goes way back to the days of the Power Glove, which was on the NES.

And don't forget that the PlayStation Move controller looks EXACTLY like the Wiimote and Nunchuck.

Don't get me wrong. I love Sony, but they're not original when it comes to video games. And making a blatant ripoff of Smash Bros. sounds like a desperate move.

Last edited:
The Video Game Controller Family Tree

Motion controlling goes way back to the days of the Power Glove, which was on the NES.

And don't forget that the PlayStation Move controller looks EXACTLY like the Wiimote and Nunchuck.

Don't get me wrong. I love Sony, but they're not original when it comes to video games. And making a blatant ripoff of Smash Bros. sounds like a desperate move.

It looks exactly like the wii remote, and yet PS Move came first.