Anyone noticed Sun Vulcan blatant sexism?

Dude, I think what's upsetting Lynx and Kou is the fact that you threw up what you said completely out of the blue. Barring anything Lazycoconut might've said about another show going to the opposite end of the spectrum doesn't do anything good either.

So if you just throw out 'Saudi Araba should be the standard' when people are amicably talking about what can be considered sexist then you're kind of coming off as a douche even if that somehow wasn't your intention.
 
Last edited:
Why is it such a big deal that Sun Vulcan was an all-male team? I don't see people complaining that Sailor Moon is an all-female crew.
The all male-team alone wouldn't be a big deal.
As I said before, not only you have a all-male team, but you have also a mostly female villain group. Moreover, that female villain group usually use cowardly method to fight the heroes , seldom confronting them in a fair fight (except sometimes Amazon Killer). To sum up, you have strong, brave good men versus cowardy evil women. Moreover, it's super sentai, a franchise where the presence of at least one female protagonist is the norm.
Anyway, it's just a thread, which only aim is discussion and fun; noone is going to sue Toei about that lol.
And in my opinion, the biggest problem of Sun Vulcan isn't its alleged sexism, but its bland storyline and lack of character development.
 
Last edited:
I think it's great when people want to get into deep discussions about sentai, but these are shows that are supposed to be fun. Why try and dissect them to such a degree as what is going on here? I mean story and what not is one thing, but when you start getting into sexism and racism in these shows :/

Idiocy is everywhere.

You guys are reading WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYyyy too much into this :redface2:

No kidding.

How many Ultraman series have you actually watched to be able to say this?

I've been questions what she has watched aswell when it comes to Sentai because alot of the **** she says just doesn't add up.
 
Accusing Sun Vulcan of being sexist is just ridiculous, because that was never it's intention. It's one thing to dislike a show for it's execution and other things, but when you throw in racism & sexism that's going too far. Not to mention they feel like execuses instead of legitimate gripes.
 
Accusing Sun Vulcan of being sexist is just ridiculous, because that was never it's intention. It's one thing to dislike a show for it's execution and other things, but when you throw in racism & sexism that's going too far. Not to mention they feel like execuses instead of legitimate gripes.

See above: I was the one who made the accusation, and I already said that the biggest problems of Sun Vulcan weren't its alleged sexism but its bland storyline and its lack of character development (heroes and villains alike)
Besides you're right: I don't think that Sun Vulcan was intentionaly sexist; but still, you still have male heroes (with a female friend who couldn't become a warrior) successfully fighting mostly female villains who aren't, for the most part, good fighters, and use cowardly methods. Even if it was unintentional (and I don't believe the series was intentionnaly sexist), I felt somewhat a sexist connotation.
 
Ok, my point here seems to have been completely missed. What I am saying is, we have people harping on about how portraying a female character as someone who is "kind, caring, culinary-trained, etc" or being "evil and strong" as somehow promoting sexism. Look at a society such as Saudi Arabia, where women are forced to cover all but their eyes, cannot drive, must be accompanied by a male when traveling, and all other sorts of maltreatment. Are you honestly going to say that a woman character who "wants to be a good housewife", for example, is anti-female when there are places in the world where women are actually being treated in horrible ways?

But that's a silly argument. It's not a competition to see who can hate women the most. There are women in third world countries who are subject to absolutely horrific abuse, yes, but trying to silence discussion of sexism in more developed countries with that tragic fact isn't helpful.

It's like you saying "my leg really hurts today, I think I might have sprained it" and me shouting you down with "shut up, there are people who don't even have legs!"
 
I don't see any sexism in Sentai. For Example, Jetman had a Female Mentor, so she counts. Bioman and Liveman had two supporting Female robots and Boukenger's mentor was secretly a girl who disguised her voice to sound like a man. Plus, Gekiranger had a Female co-worker who is not only a designer for the suits and weapons, but is also a Geki Juuken-user.

Get the drift, bub?!
 
I don't see any sexism in Sentai. For Example, Jetman had a Female Mentor, so she counts. Bioman and Liveman had two supporting Female robots and Boukenger's mentor was secretly a girl who disguised her voice to sound like a man. Plus, Gekiranger had a Female co-worker who is not only a designer for the suits and weapons, but is also a Geki Juuken-user.

Get the drift, bub?!

Don't forget in Gekiranger, Ran was the leader.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top