More photos for ya faces!

Sfibb0y.jpg

Fl31fQl.jpg

Pj6Gsbz.jpg

fcxR82C.jpg

I swear I've seen Zi-O's finger pose before on a few other Riders :p.

D

Dr Kain

The head writer of Ninninger and some s***ty ass movies... The producer of the second half of Kamen Rider Hibiki...

The Kamen Rider is the enemy of the world...

It's Decade 2.0 all over again.

Thank the gods it is only supposed to go until May-ish.

Yeah sorry all the new info was emerging just as I was going to bed and I couldn't be bothered to write them up there and then.

Zi-O's website (www.tv-asahi.co.jp/zi-o/) went live with a bunch of details on it. First up, Zi-O will make an appearance in Build's summer movie 'Be The One', which is released on August 4th. Then there will be a press conference that reveals Zi-O's cast on August 7th.

Ever since Gaim, the producer who has been in charge of the day-to-day running of production has been Motoi Sasaki. He's listed as "chief producer" but I've seen suggestions that it's more of a management role.

The big incoming name is Shinichiro Shirakura. He was a producer on eight of the first ten Heisei Rider series (he didn't work on Kuuga or Kiva). During that time he became infamous for his "my way or the highway" attitude. He also supposedly made some very dismissive comments about tokusatsu, essentially claiming that every show he hadn't worked on was "juvenile". Eventually he was promoted and ended up in a management role in charge of Toei's entire live action TV division, but came back to producing for Kamen Rider Amazons.

So the big question is whether Matoi and Shirakura will bang heads or not? Will one end up dominating?

The head writer is Kento Shimoyama, who's only previous head writer job in toku was Ninninger, so in the grand scheme of things he's still quite low on the totem pole and a lot of people suspect that his role is just to turn the producers' ideas into shootable scripts.

The head director is Ryuta Tasaki. He's a steady hand who was previously head director on Agito, Ryuki, Faiz, Den-O, Kiva, Decade, W, OOO, Gaim and Drive.

The background music will be composed by Toshihiko Sahashi, who previously worked on Kuuga, Agito, Hibiki and Den-O and more recently on Kyoryuger.

This is the series synopsis as translated by The Tokusatsu Network:

In the fall of 2018, a time machine appears before a hero born in the year 2000. The hero has always dreamed of becoming a king. A mysterious girl appears from the time machine, telling the hero “I come from the year 2068, a world without hope where the king of demons reigns supreme.” The girl has come from the future in a desperate effort to change her own time. The girl then gives the hero an ominous warning “You will become Kamen Rider Zi-O, King of Time, the demon destined to rule the world.” Can this really be the hero’s fate? This is the story of a Kamen Rider who would be king, who will fight to save the past, present, and future, encountering the various Heisei Kamen Riders throughout space-time.
So yeah, as many people have already commented, we have the return of a producer who worked on Den-O and Decade, and this synopsis sounds like Decade with time travel instead of dimension-hopping. Maybe it's already clear which producer will have the dominant vision?

The secondary Rider, Gates, was meant to come from 2068 so maybe Gates is the girl mentioned here? Though Shirakura is closely associated with 'the curse of the female Rider' so maybe don't get too attached if this proves to be the case.
Thank the gods it is only supposed to go until May-ish.
I've seen that going around quite a bit but I've never seen a source for it so other than "that's what Decade did" so I'm not sure why it's a thing?

D

Dr Kain

The rumor circling around is that they are planning to end this series with Akihiko's retirement and then having a 65 episode Kamen Rider series take place after as both a kick off to the new emperor's rule and some huge celebration of the franchise as a whole. Obviously we have no idea if that is true or not, but given that similar rumors were surrounding Decade being a shorter series and they ended up being true, I'm not doubting them. Plus, the reasoning behind this being a shorter series makes sense.

R

raden238

Yep Zi-O is basically Toei's reboot of Decade. Hopefully they get it right this time. Few things to note, on the poster with all the Heisei Riders, I noticed Decade and Faiz have a bigger portion on the poster than the others. Could this potentially mean future crossover arcs? Faiz's upgrade shows up in wave 1 of the toys and the Decade Form comes in December as the 1st major form change. It makes sense with Decade, considering Zi-O is very similar to him and Faiz returning I'm all for it.

I'm not sure about everyone else but I'll wait till After the eighth episode to pass judgment or spread doomsday sayings about the series

I'm curious to see how many past Riders they'll actually be able to get back for this.

I think time travel will be a very tricky way to handle an anniversary event. Decade could get away with character recasting because "it's an alternate reality, it's *suppose* to be different!". But for time travel, the further back you go, the harder it will be to get returning actors. Unless you just want the time travel aspect to be a glorified clip-show. That or maybe go off some kind of "the mere act of time travel changes things" logic.

I think it might work if they are only focusing on the Riders from Decade to Build. I think you'll have a higher chance of those actors returning for sure. If you want to go beyond that, you can do a few Heisei & Showa for the show, but save it for the movies. In the movies, you can have tons of suit actors and voice actors, and the audience can just pretend it's the original characters behind the suits.

I think time travel will be a very tricky way to handle an anniversary event. Decade could get away with character recasting because "it's an alternate reality, it's *suppose* to be different!". But for time travel, the further back you go, the harder it will be to get returning actors. Unless you just want the time travel aspect to be a glorified clip-show. That or maybe go off some kind of "the mere act of time travel changes things" logic.

I think it might work if they are only focusing on the Riders from Decade to Build. I think you'll have a higher chance of those actors returning for sure. If you want to go beyond that, you can do a few Heisei & Showa for the show, but save it for the movies. In the movies, you can have tons of suit actors and voice actors, and the audience can just pretend it's the original characters behind the suits.
A lot of the Heisei Riders returned for crossover movies, at least sporadically, but I think if they can't get the actual Riders back they might at least bring in a Second Rider or someone associated with the series.

Like, they probably can't get Joe Odagiri back, but maybe Ichijo's actor?