vpvui9.jpg

Kraken Releasing, a division of Section 23 Films (the distributor for Sentai Filmworks anime), attended the 'Monsterama' convention in Atlanta over the weekend and revealed that they have licensed the original series of Garo from 2005. The company intends to release it in 2017 and plans to release further installments in the franchise in the future.

Source: ANN

This pleases me. The question is will it be a complete version of the newly remastered version.

Still, definitely picking this up. A good excuse for me to finally jump in.

I know I tend to be one of the guys who says he's hanging on to his fansubs because releases like this NEVER see the light of day in the UK (still waiting for a UK release for Zyuranger/Dairanger - other english-speaking territories that aren't North America DO fucking exist), but circumstances mean I actually have the money to look into a multi-region player right now. Still think region coding and geo blocking in 2016 is shitty though.

If it gets more eyes on the Garo toku and not the Anime, this is a positive of sorts. I guess...

Incidentally, obviously Over-Time aren't even bothering with the S1 remaster now, TV Nihon are dragging their feet like they did with Zyuranger when that got licensed.

I'm still reeling from this news! It was the best news I could get on my Birthday! :anime:
Granted, I was kind of hoping FUNIMATION would be the ones to get the license to this considering they're doing the anime; but I'm fine with this. :)

The original series is only 11 years old. Not too old. Would the original Japanese distributors be happy with just a direct-to-video release, or would they want more?
Would an optional English dub be out of the question? I believe Section23 has worked with other companies to make it happen for some of their anime releases.

D

Dr Kain

I will be preordereing this the moment it is put up on Amazon. i will also do a review of it after it has come out. THIS IS AMAZING!!!!

I'm still reeling from this news! It was the best news I could get on my Birthday! :anime:
Granted, I was kind of hoping FUNIMATION would be the ones to get the license to this considering they're doing the anime; but I'm fine with this. :)

The original series is only 11 years old. Not too old. Would the original Japanese distributors be happy with just a direct-to-video release, or would they want more?
Would an optional English dub be out of the question? I believe Section23 has worked with other companies to make it happen for some of their anime releases.

I'd be interested if Tony Oliver actually filmed a pilot for an Americanization for HBO a while back, or if it was just a pitch. If that existed, I'd love to see it included as a special feature. And a dub would be cool to have though, which makes me wish Toonami could pick it up if that happened.

Why is every good TV show Cancelled
And to whoever may or may not be monitoring these threads for a company- we're still missing Kamen Rider, dammit! :buttrock:

No, but, seriously. I'll buy Garo, but I'm still waiting for my sets of Kamen Rider Kuuga & up to exist...