I liked him when he wasn't a god
Yeah; but given that the other who married (Urara) had a mermaid theme, and I doubt mermaids have a reputation for mating for life.
Besides, don't forget the three male rangers who married during a show= Red Hawk, Abareblack and Magishine; in theory, that would mean that hawks, brachiosaurs and magical trains mate for life :laugh:

HOW DO YOU KNOW THEY DON'T :sly:

I just meant "swan" would be an appropriate choice for a character based around the concept of love, because of that connotation. It's hard to think of any others ...

That's just a chromosome pair denoting 'female'. It means nothing by itself.

I want you to say that males don't symbolize anything. Then we'll know you're being fair.

It's not really a superpower though, is it? It's just a personality trait

Who the heck said it was a superpower??

Sentai cheats a bit with elemental powers by adding stuff like Lightning, Wood, Metal, Light, Thunder, etc. to the classic earth/air/fire/water. But it's hard to pick animals for those, too ...

Lightning and Thunder - stag and rhino beetles. Or be like Gingaman and pair a random animal.
Wood - some type of insect
Metal - crustaceans, trilobites, dragons, anything with armored bodies
Light - birds (maybe those with shiny feathers, or birds of paradise), any bioluminescent animal

The new Tendou Souji
or nonsense about "but she's the ~heart~ of the team!" Which is bullshit. Like that's worth anything. Why do you think all Captain Planet fans laugh at Ma-Ti?

4r4107.gif

Apologies for the crappy quality; all I could find of her in a pose like that.

That's just a chromosome pair denoting 'female'. It means nothing by itself.

I want you to say that males don't symbolize anything. Then we'll know you're being fair.

Okay: males don't symbolize anything.

Who the heck said it was a superpower??

If you go by the idea that male characters = physical strength and female characters = "heart" or "emotion" or some such, surely you are treating that as their primary skill/superpower, just like strength is the guys'?

It's not an elemental power though, which is what Sentai usually goes by

Lightning and Thunder - stag and rhino beetles. Or be like Gingaman and pair a random animal.
Wood - some type of insect
Metal - crustaceans, trilobites, dragons, anything with armored bodies
Light - birds (maybe those with shiny feathers, or birds of paradise), any bioluminescent animal

Toei? You listening to this?

Sentai cheats a bit with elemental powers by adding stuff like Lightning, Wood, Metal, Light, Thunder, etc. to the classic earth/air/fire/water. But it's hard to pick animals for those, too ...

Lightning (and thunder, btw, since they're associated): easy: any animal who can emit electricity; example an electric eel or electric ray
Wood: an animal which uses a lot wood in his life: example, the beaver
Light; an animal which can emit light: example, the firefly, the anglerfish,
Metal; here, I don't know :sweat:

Wood: an animal which uses a lot wood in his life: example, the beaver

Couldn't resist :laugh:

There is a pretty limited pool of creatures that get used for animal mechs. That's one reason I liked the Magiranger designs, they were something different, even though they were still animals

Couldn't resist :laugh:
:sly:
There is a pretty limited pool of creatures that get used for animal mechs. That's one reason I liked the Magiranger designs, they were something different, even though they were still animals

oh, that pool is expanding recently, Shinkenger, Goseiger and Go-Busters all included animals that weren't included in mechas before (like the snake, the marlin, the lobster, the rabbit, the manta ray (one of the seaick brothers))

変わって欲しくないよ。
Animals and other mystical creatures can be as deadly ( or not ) as they want to be :/ it's all open to interpretation between stories, species, whatever.

An update
Those last few years , there have been some interesting trends :
Kyoryuger : we had a female ranger associated for the first time with the classical triceratops, previously only associated with boys.
More interesting, Kyoryuviolet was associated with the badass Plesiosaur (even if as usual, Daigo used it the most). One could argue with the fact that we also had an Ankylosaurus related female ranger with the female Kyoryucyan, but Yuko only became Kyoryucyan once or twice.
Toqger : train show, and the animals associated with the girls in the movie were classic cute animals, wild cat and panda.
Ninninger : another case of "cute animals for the girls" with the white dog and the panda, but we had also for Shiroranger, the white tiger, the badass feline classically associated with girls.

But of course, the most interesting case is the case of Zyuohger, with ALL heroes, male and female associated with badass animals : while the boys had the badass lion, elephant and eagle, the females had the equally badass shark and tiger. The shark is especially remarkable, since it was usually associated with the boys ; when a girl had a marine animal, it was mostly the dolphin. Besides, the heroines are themselves part shark and part tiger.
In fact, it's pretty much Zyuohger which made me bring back that thread to life, because it's probably the first show that pretty much shows male/female equality when it comes to badass animals.
Of course, I don't think girls will be associated ever with lions, but it's logical, since it's the mane that makes the lion a popular choice, and the mane is of course specific to the male : in fact, I feel that the fact females are often associated with the equally badass tiger pretty much is a way to make up for that when it comes to big cats.

I noticed that there's this automatic assumption that creatures like fairies, butterflies, mermaids, cats, etc. aren't considered "cool", hence this issue over girls having them as their motifs and needing "equality". Maybe the problem is that we haven't broken out of the kindergarten mentality of "boys have awesome toys and girls have cooties!"