Tokumei Sentai Gobusters Part 2!! - Picture and News. It's Time For Masta!!

Who you gonna call?
And honestly, that was one of the biggest mistakes that Toei has made (& will most likely never do that again).
No, Toei's mistake is actually paying attention to fans that refuse changes in Super Sentai. Not trying new things stale a franchise and ends killing it.

They should learn from Hasbro dealing with the infamous Geewunners. Give older fans stuff to appease them (and suck dry their wallets) but keep the main attention on the new stuff and don't be afraid to change the formula radically. Beast Wars and Transformers Animated wouldn't have happened if they acted like pussies with the older fans like Toei is doing.

In Justice, We Trust!
No, Toei's mistake is actually paying attention to fans that refuse changes in Super Sentai. Not trying new things stale a franchise and ends killing it.

A good example of this being GI Joe.

not to say that GI Joe is dead or anything...but look at how many series feature the same Cobra VS Joe story over and over, and from what i hear: the franchise seems to be in a bad state because of it.

Last edited:
The new breed.
No, Toei's mistake is actually paying attention to fans that refuse changes in Super Sentai.
Its Toei's choice at the end of the day, No fan in the world has a say in their decisions, If Toei sees potential for something they will try it.

I liked him when he wasn't a god
Its Toei's choice at the end of the day, No fan in the world has a say in their decisions, If Toei sees potential for something they will try it.

Fans do have a say. Toei cares about profits, not quality. If fans are not watching or not spending money, then Toei is going to do whatever it thinks will get them to watch/spend money.

I think this really highlights a problem with Sentai. They are now shoehorned in comedic cookie cutter light fare. If even doing something like Gobusters requires the show to be retooled. Well then in 10 years without a gamechanger, they are either cancelled or in Kabutack territory.

If "comedic light fare" is such a huge problem, then why is it that the two most recent shows that have tried to be more serious (Gekiranger and Go-Busters) have suffered for it?

Who you gonna call?
Final decision comes from Toei, but a vocal fanbase (specially big ones like Transformers and Super Sentai) can have a great influence it.

But I feel the blame is shared between both. Toei has chickened and is remolding Go-Busters to wrongly appease a bunch of crybabies unable to accept that things can't stay the same way forever.

They should learn from Hasbro dealing with the infamous Geewunners. Give older fans stuff to appease them (and suck dry their wallets) but keep the main attention on the new stuff and don't be afraid to change the formula radically. Beast Wars and Transformers Animated wouldn't have happened if they acted like pussies with the older fans like Toei is doing.

I don't think older fans are the main problem here. Fourze has lower ratings with the older demographic and doesn't seem to have gone through any shake ups - because it kept the younger audience.

Go-Busters had low ratings with kids since the beginning and they dropped even further after the extra Rangers' introduction. Sentai used to average at least 8-10% with kids, even up until Gokaiger, although it also hit lower numbers at times there, but they didn't stay low. Meanwhile, episodes 17-21 of Gobusters didn't go above 5.8% -even once-. That number is dangerously low for Sentai. So, it's not surprising that they're pushing forward last minute changes now, like the obviously tacked on new opening theme.

Last edited:
Lynxara/MattComix's Twitter for their podcast mentioned that some of the official pre-release stuff for Wizard is making fun of Fourze (such as saying that the hairstyle of the gay/trans character should remind people of Fourze, or that they wanted to give the cast a "normal" look after doing Fourze for a year.) So I guess it looks like Toei is trying to distance itself from Fourze, but on the other hand, they were happy enough with it when it was running that they didn't play around with it too much. It's not even like OOO where it's pretty obvious that changes were made from the storyline that had originally been planned.

But then as I understand it, re-tools are usually done in an effort to improve sales, not ratings (most recently with Goseiger.) I thought Go-Busters was doing well on the sales front?

But then as I understand it, re-tools are usually done in an effort to improve sales, not ratings (most recently with Goseiger.) I thought Go-Busters was doing well on the sales front?

Retools can happen any time the show is underperforming in some way.

Some people were saying that a retool can't happen now because Toei supposedly only cares about the toy sales, not ratings. I think this Go-Busters situation is showing that they're obviously wrong though. And, yes, at least for the first quarter Go-Busters toys did well, so this has nothing to do with toy sales, just Go-Busters drastic ratings drop with the "kids" demographic.

Who you gonna call?
I don't think older fans are the main problem here. Fourze has lower ratings with the older demographic and doesn't seem to have gone through any shake ups - because it kept the younger audience.

Go-Busters had low ratings with kids since the beginning and they dropped even further after the extra Rangers' introduction. Sentai used to average at least 8-10% with kids, even up until Gokaiger, although it also hit lower numbers at times there, but they didn't stay low. Meanwhile, episodes 17-21 of Gobusters didn't go above 5.8% -even once-. That number is dangerously low for Sentai. So, it's no surprising that they're pushing forward last minute changes now, like the obviously tacked on new opening theme.
That's something I must admit you're right. I love Go-Busters but I feel it's not a series I would enjoy too much as a kid. Go-Busters' original concept is good and interesting but overall I feel that an adult can get more out of it than a kid due to it's slow pacing and a slightly more realistic tone than his predecessors.

Yes. While inferior to Gokaiger's, Go-Busters' toy sales have been performing well. Don't remember well, but I believe it was close to Shinkenger's numbers.

It's also interesting to remember that in november it will be released a director's cut edition of the Beetle Busters' debut episodes. It makes me think that Toei might not be that dispeleased with Go-Busters if they're doing it (they just could have included the deleted scenes as extra material in a regular release).

That's something I must admit you're right. I love Go-Busters but I feel it's not a series I would enjoy too much as a kid. Go-Busters' original concept is good and interesting but overall I feel that an adult can get more out of it than a kid due to it's slow pacing and a slightly more realistic tone than his predecessors.

There was some talk in the main Go-Busters thread about sci-fi/military themes not performing well with kids any more, I wonder if that's a factor?

One possible reason suggested for Gokaiger's low ratings is that kids were put off by the constantly changing suits, powers, etc. I hope that's not going to affect Go-Busters. If too much changes, it might turn off the audience, simply because it's confusing and somewhat irritating when a show you enjoyed one week has changed into something totally different the next

Yes. While inferior to Gokaiger's, Go-Busters' toy sales have been performing well. Don't remember well, but I believe it was close to Shinkenger's numbers.

It's also interesting to remember that in november it will be released a director's cut edition of the Beetle Busters' debut episodes. It makes me think that Toei might not be that dispeleased with Go-Busters if they're doing it (they just could have included the deleted scenes as extra material in a regular release).

Well Gokaiger's numbers were exceptionally high and it was an anniversary series, so you can't expect those every year. I think sales are a positive sign if nothing else

Kamen Rider's ratings slide began with OOO, and its DVD sales were not high enough for it to get a V-Cinema spin-off like W, but it got some Director's Cut releases. I wonder if they performed well enough that Toei was encouraged to try the idea again? (Shinkenger got a Director's Cut, too, but it was doing better with ratings)