Having gotten hooked on Gokaiger, I've decided to fill some of the time between episodes by having a look at some of the previous Sentai, starting with Goseiger... I'm 8 episodes in, and while not Gokaiger level, it doesn't seem too bad so far. However, I've gotten the impression from more than one person that the series takes a massive nosedive halfway through and never recovers. Is this the case? I'd be keen to know in advance if the time investment is likely to be worth it..!

I dropped Goseiger after ep. 4. From what I've read, it gets much better since, but I still don't have the desire to pick up the show again. Instead I plan to watch the beginning and end of each arc.

Mad Skillz
It's nowhere near as bad as you've been told, that said, it's not amazingly perfect either, this coming from one of the biggest fans of the show out there.

Goseiger seems to have suffered a bit from behind the scenes issues that threw the show into limbo when it came to advancing the plot, this is most evident in the second arc that centers on the Yuumajuu. I wouldn't say it never recovers from the nosedive, a new producer steps in around the final 17 or so episodes and there is a noticeable improvement in the series. That said, it seems like a last really good quarter preceded by a sprinkling of really awesome episodes throughout the rest of the series wasn't enough for most people to get into.

I've found that if you see yourself enjoying the characters, you can probably truck on through the more underwhelming bits of the series. The early episodes in the second arc are pretty good, but it just hits this brick wall after that I think most people just can't get through. I'll go as far as saying that despite what went on behind the scenes, it's a pretty great series outside of the Yuumajuu arc, and even then, the early episodes are interesting. I think one needs to go into Goseiger with the mindset that this is a more character focused series than plot heavy one.

Some kind of Beast mode
It does pick up, but I feel when it truly hits greatness it's too late.

If you're completely new to Sentai, I suggest not wasting your time with this. Are you?

Welcome
I dropped it at episode 10.That's when I started to watch anime to fill the gap.

Just 'Neg' will suffice.
It isn't the greatest series in the world, but I think they successfully tie everything together by the end. I agree that if you're going to make it through you have to love the characters.

I'll always keep Goseiger in my heart as proof that I should judge everything myself instead of listening to the general consensus.

That's also part of the reason I bought a Gosei Great after I told myself I wouldn't buy anymore sentai mecha after I completed the Shinkenger line.

When I look at it, it's a constant, subtle reminder that I should strive to keep an open mind and not judge anything prematurely. I still do, of course, cuz human, but it makes me try a tiny bit harder.

If you're completely new to Sentai, I suggest not wasting your time with this. Are you?

I think Flashman might be a better show to check out. Both it and Goseiger do have similar elements, notably an "alien" race that watches over the universe. The Gosei Angels are like the Flash race, yet the Flash had that weakness that got passed to the heroes that added to the tension. The Angels being stuck on Earth just didn't have the same impact, since there wasn't a downside to their predicament.

Some kind of Beast mode
I think Flashman might be a better show to check out. Both it and Goseiger do have similar elements, notably an "alien" race that watches over the universe. The Gosei Angels are like the Flash race, yet the Flash had that weakness that got passed to the heroes that added to the tension. The Angels being stuck on Earth just didn't have the same impact, since there wasn't a downside to their predicament.

I agree completely.

Utterly new to Sentai; I saw some of Abaranger when Dino Thunder was airing, but found the quality of those subs to be less than terrible... Gokaiger's the first and only one I've actively followed.

It definitely does sound like I should try a different Sentai; thanks for your inputs on that front. Am I right in thinking only a handful of Flashman episodes have been translated? If so, what would people recommend from the series which have been completed? I find you obviously miss quite a lot of nuances just watching the raws...

Some kind of Beast mode
Utterly new to Sentai; I saw some of Abaranger when Dino Thunder was airing, but found the quality of those subs to be less than terrible... Gokaiger's the first and only one I've actively followed.

It definitely does sound like I should try a different Sentai; thanks for your inputs on that front. Am I right in thinking only a handful of Flashman episodes have been translated? If so, what would people recommend from the series which have been completed? I find you obviously miss quite a lot of nuances just watching the raws...

Ahh ok. Hmm, I see you're a subs guy. :hmm: Well as far as good series subbed, you can try Liveman. Hikari-Senshi is almost done subbing that series.

Jetman and Maskman is finished, by CSCentral. Some say they're subs are a little off though. I think there ok. Most can agree they're good enough.

Dairanger is almost done, by Tv-Nihon.