Developer Augmented Irreality presents DreadStar: a fast-paced top-down 2D space shooter that aims to not only remind players of the genre’s 16-bit glory days, but improve upon it.
The dev team promises to avoid the “bullet hell” scenarios that so many other titles in this genre wallow in. The game contains RPG elements that will allow players to incrementally level up their ship and improve its strength, speed, firepower, etc. You’ll have a truckload of items at your disposal to customize your ship exactly the way you prefer.
Augmented Irreality promises a return to retro space shooters with this one, and they’re not kidding…they went far enough to include a CRT filter option that displays in 4:3. After that all you need is one of those throwback controllers from 8BitDo and you’re good to go!
- Fast shoot ’em up gameplay with epic boss encounters.
- 4 different ships and 10 different weapons to annihilate your opponents.
- Tons of customization options from armors and engines, to shields and special items.
- Gain experience, level-ups and skill points to incrementally improve your ship’s strength.
- 6 replayable sectors filled with unique enemies, bosses and minibosses.
- 3 difficulty settings for every sector, where you’ll need to improve both your skill and your ship to progress.
- Gorgeous pixel art cutscenes and a kick-ass chiptunes soundtrack made on the famed Atari-ST and ZX Spectrum.
- A 4:3 display and CRT mode for that authentic retro experience.
DreadStar: The Quest for Revenge is available now on Steam for $9.99.