There’s a calamity heading for the island nation of Onich. A diverse case of characters plans to stop it, but the continent itself is fraught with its own perils, and the journey won’t be easy. Bevontule: Altar of Roots uses this basic premise as the foundation to explore a wild and detailed world — a world currently being crowdfunded on Kickstarter.
Like other indie RPGs, Bevontule cites common favorites like Final Fantasy, Vagrant Story, and Xenogears as inspirations. Artist Calvin Lye, who worked on the game, says “Bevontule combines the best elements of those JRPGs we loved to play as kids with an engaging story and characters, a challenging turn-based combat system, and a vast open world filled with possibilities. We’re making our dream game – and we can’t wait to share the finished product with our Kickstarter backers!”
* Enjoy a mature plot spanning thousands of years – inspired by games like Xenogears and Shadow Hearts.
* Fight in a challenging tactical, turn-based combat system where proper positioning and timing are critical.
* Visit a beautiful, massive world with modern 3D environments to discover, explore, and conquer.
* Fend off free-roaming enemies with a wide variety of movement patterns, behaviors and habitats.
* Prepare for an unrelenting and highly-intelligent enemy AI that can be scaled to various difficulty levels.
* Play alongside a large cast of interesting characters with defined roles, yet deeply customizable skill sets – allowing multiple builds for each combatant.
* Face enemies that learn and level up dynamically – accessing new skills, tactics, and other enhancements.
* Unlock, learn, and equip from hundreds of combat skills, attribute bonuses, and world-based buffs.
* Explore loads of side quests, optional bosses/areas, and minigames!
The current plan is to launch Bevontule on PC, Mac and Linux in March 2019. But in case you need to try before you pledge, Multithreaded Games has created a free downloadable demo. Sample the game for yourself here or here!