Last month Saber Interactive unveiled their content roadmap for World War Z. Over the next few months free updates will be added to the game, and the first of these went live today: “The Undead Sea,” a new mission set in Tokyo.
You and your team are trapped on a ferry loaded with zombies, and with the rooms and hallways being so small, there isn’t much room to run. To make matters worse there’s a new type of zombie on this boat you haven’t encountered yet; one that can spit venom projectiles at you, and will return to life if you don’t dismember it properly.
The “Undead Sea” update also adds private lobbies to the game, the ability to switch classes during PvPvZ matches, and sliders on the PC version to adjust the field of view and level of detail (blessings for the easily motion-sick, those with older PCs, or both).
In the months to come Saber will add a new six-skull difficulty setting, a Weekly Challenge mode, a wave-based survival mode, and more.
World War Z was released on April 16 and sold over one million copies in its first week along. It’s predominantly a multiplayer experience. You can play the main four-player co-op, utiilzing six distinct classes and tons of weapons and traps in locations set around the world, from New York to Moscow. Or you can try out Players Vs. Players Vs. Zombies, sending you against the undead and other players in any of these five modes:
- Scavenge Raid: Players race to secure resources across the map to win.
- Vaccine Hunt: Players must pick up and hold an objective to earn points for the team.
- Swarm Deathmatch: Two teams go head to head in a bitter fight to the end.
- Swarm Domination: Capture zones to earn points and win a team victory.
- King of the Hill: Capture a single hill, then control it to earn victory points.
World War Z is available now for $39.99 (PS4, XBox One) or $34.99 (Epic Games Store).