As free-to-play loot shooters go, Warframe doesn’t have quite as many fans as some of the bigger boys, but its fanbase is a devoted and rabid one. This weekend Tennocon, the London conference for Warframe fans, was held — and its developer/publisher Digital Extremes took the opportunity to reveal some radical changes coming to the game. Here’s what to expect from the Empyrean expansion:
- Connect the Community With Squad Link!: This ground-breaking multiplayer system connects the world of Warframe in an entirely new way. Transcend beyond your solo objective and connect with the larger community by reaching out to other Tenno squads using the Squad Link. In multi-objective missions from space, players can call up on other squads of active players to help the bigger cause — lower enemy ship shields, steal valuable data, and more.
- Assault, Steal and Pilot Enemy Ships: Players can now infiltrate opponent ships using Archwings and command them in a variety of missions. Become a swashbuckling #Spaceninja, Tenno!
- Customize and Upgrade Everything: The Drydock is your Railjack’s personal space garage. Build out and upgrade your battleship’s Equipment, Cosmetics, Systems and Reinforcements with a huge array of options, name your ship, and beautify it all by customizing primary, secondary and tertiary colors, accents, decals and more.
- Revenge: Enemies have begun adapting to Tenno lethality, and from it kingpins will emerge! Players familiar with Warframe‘s in-development Kingpin system will be rewarded with a first look at how these reactive enemies behave, starting with the Kuva Lich, Emra Rok, in an epic boss fight on the capital ship.
- Graphics Upgrade: Digital Extremes is dedicated to providing the single best graphic fidelity to AAA free-to-play gaming. Using a completely re-written rendering technology (“Deferred Renderer”) in its proprietary Evolution Engine, Warframe’s graphics have never looked better.
There’s more…two additional Warframe updates, Nightframe and Wukong Prime Access, became available right at the second of their announcement.
- Nightwave is Warframe‘s free, rotating seasonal system. Each Series unfolds over several weeks and tells a brand new story. By completing daily and weekly challenges, Tenno will unlock limited-time, exclusive rewards (gear, cosmetics and more) while experiencing the story as they play. In Series 2: The Emissary players will meet a strange mute child (Arlo) who emerges unharmed from the Infestation and brings with him the miraculous ability to heal the sick.
- Wukong Prime is now ready for action! Available to earn through gameplay or purchase, the enduring, swift and unruly Wukong Prime brings eager Tenno an enhanced version of the original for the first time ever. Everybody’s got something to hide, except Wukong Prime!
If all this wasn’t enough, Warframe’s intro cinematic is getting a beefy upgrade thanks to Hollywood director Dan Trachtenberg (10 Cloverfield Lane). The cinematic made its debut at Tennocon, and you can watch it below. it will be added to the game in either late 2019 or early 2020.