Riskers, which goes live on Steam today, is a top-down 2-D shooter heavily inspired by Grand Theft Auto — but not as most people know it. Rockstar’s open-world series didn’t become popular until the third game — there were two before it, which contained much of the same gameplay yet rendered it in a flat, top-down perspective.
Rick Paradis is a garbageman with a criminal past who lucks into a briefcase filled with money (be careful what you throw out). A criminal syndicate was expecting that briefcase and now wants it back — and they make their point by killing Rick’s brother. Rick is now out for revenge, which is your excuse to go nuts in the city and take down a criminal empire as well as whatever else gets in your way.
“Riskers pays homage to the types of games I used to play while growing up in Georgia (the country, not the state),” says Shota Bobokhidze. lead developer at Shot X Studios: “My main design pillar was to give players enough gameplay variety to cater to most play styles. Riskers is a game for everyone – whether you enjoy racing or shooting bad guys.”
* Play a unique mix of game genres (top-down action, driving, and shooting).
* Experience an interactive open world, complete with a day and night cycle.
* Explore highly-detailed interior levels.
* Eliminate enemies with a selection of eight different weapons, or resort to chair-throwing.
* Take a break from the main story and complete a variety of side missions.
* Immerse yourself in the story through comic book-style cutscenes.
* Search for in-game collectibles!
If you purchase Riskers this week, you’ll get a 25% discount. The game’s normal price is $9.99, but you can get it at $7.49 if you purchase it before October 24. You can also get the soundtrack bundled in this week for $8.42.