Drop Dead Studios has just released the opening chapter for the latest game in their survival horror series….Outbreak: The Nightmare Chronicles. It’s a third-person title reminiscent of the original Resident Evil, set in a shadowy old mansion full of monsters. Drop Dead is chasing nostalgia so hard that one of the options in the game is to use the “tank controls” you had in RE.
- Episodic: New chapters available over time. Buy only what you want to play.
- Story Mode: Survive through a classic single-player survival horror experience.
- Battle Mode: Tough as nails action mode where you scrounge and fight to reach the exit.
- Cinematic: Experience your last moments through fixed cameras and beautiful environments.
- Explore: Search rooms and read logs to find keys and solve puzzles to survive.
- Fight or Flee: Engage threats directly or run away to safety in another room.
- Classic: True hardcore classic survival horror with a limited inventory and deadly foes.
- Progress: Saving is limited and restricted. Find floppy disks to record your progress.
- Storage: Manage your limited inventory by finding and storing items in caches.
- Difficult: Play across multiple difficulty modes, including the one hit kill Nightmares mode.
- Defense: Utilize numerous firearms and melee weapons against the undead.
- Alone: Play solo even without an internet connection.
- Controller: Customizable gamepad, mouse and keyboard controls.
Even more is on the way. The game’s storyline is being released in chapters. You can buy them one at a time, or purchase the Season Pass (called Outbreak: The Nightmare Chronicles Complete Edition) and get the other chapters at a discount, as well as additional Battle Mode content.
Whether you’ve played the other games or this one is your first, step into the world of Outbreak if you dare. Outbreak: The Nightmare Chronicles is out now on Steam for $4.99 (currently fifty cents off at $4.49).
One additional nice thing is that this is one of those rare indie games that has both Mac AND Linux versions. No matter what OS you’re running, you can play. The game is also coming to XBox soon.