Why I don't like Tokkyuger / TokQger / Togger / Whatever

What about people who aren't too fond of Kagura, and nor are they fans of characters like Natsuki, Houka, Candelira and Mele? Why does it have to a binary?

My criticising of Kagura doesn't immediately suggest that I find the others cute and endearing. I've grown as tired of Natsuki's and Houka's schtick perhaps as much as you have, and I have this particular disdain for characters completely unable to act their age, and resembling more like 3D fleshy versions of a very bad anime character, while their actresses secretly rock alone in their chairs at night knowing they had to BE those characters before getting any further in their careers.

Just putting that on record. I know that bit of your post probably wasn't directed specifically at me, but was a general observation.

It wasn't directed at you and I'm sorry if it came across that way. But with Kyoryuger, it was like everyone loved Candelira and was constantly gushing about how cute and perfect she supposedly was and omg Candelira/Nossan OTP!!!!!!! and she could do no wrong. But in most discussions I've seen of ToQGer, everyone complains about Kagura being too childish and girly and annoying, even though Candelira was about a million times more so. And there's similar fandoms for many other such characters, yet people continue to harp on Kagura. I honestly can't think of any other reason than "because she's not hot enough to drool over" and ... yeah, ain't got time for that

Although with regard to the actresses, this is pretty much the public persona they're expected to have if they want to be a successful idol, so for a lot of them I imagine it's not too much of a stretch

You are literally the only person I've seen on the internet who has expressed his or her dislike for Gaim. =P

Get on down to Tumblr where there's an entire hate club for the show :sweat:
 
Although with regard to the actresses, this is pretty much the public persona they're expected to have if they want to be a successful idol, so for a lot of them I imagine it's not too much of a stretch

Have you seen Ryukendo? Hiroko Sato's performance (this was back when she was still a gravure model) doesn't really come off like that, not in the vein of Natsumi or Kagura. Her stuff since then (Decade, Garo, movies) is even more "mainstream actress".
 
Have you seen Ryukendo? Hiroko Sato's performance (this was back when she was still a gravure model) doesn't really come off like that, not in the vein of Natsumi or Kagura. Her stuff since then (Decade, Garo, movies) is even more "mainstream actress".

But if you look at a lot of idol groups or the young idols just starting out (Hiroko Sato is now 30) they're pretty much all giggly cutesy bimbo act all the time cos apparently that's what sells
 
But if you look at a lot of idol groups or the young idols just starting out (Hiroko Sato is now 30) they're pretty much all giggly cutesy bimbo act all the time cos apparently that's what sells
I always figured it was Japan's obsession with cuteness taken to it's logical extreme. Children are perceived as being cute, so people trying to be cute such as idols (for whom it's meant to be one of the main attractions) act as childlike as possible and often adapt other stereotypes of childhood, such still wearing the kind of 'princess' dresses more usually associated with little girls.
 
I always figured it was Japan's obsession with cuteness taken to it's logical extreme. Children are perceived as being cute, so people trying to be cute such as idols (for whom it's meant to be one of the main attractions) act as childlike as possible and often adapt other stereotypes of childhood, such still wearing the kind of 'princess' dresses more usually associated with little girls.

Guys get this to a lesser extent (D2, to which Right's actor belongs, is a good example) but they're still not expected to act more immature than small children, who are usually perceptive enough to realise that if everyone around you isn't giggling and squealing, maybe you should stop doing it. I just can't see why Kagura deserves to be criticised for this when other characters who were more over the top and older than her are still popular
 
i really don't like toqger honestly. not for the reason i hate goseiger or any other super sentai, but for reasons i hate animes like dokuro-chan. toqger is a extremely perverted, over the top, and painful to watch tv show. but it's not a broken show and a terrible premise, it's just how they present the show is why i think it's horrible.
 
I just watched an episode of Toqger while QCing for TVNihon and thought that the train theme was really interesting and unique. There was nothing like this in earlier sentai series I think.
 
I like Toqger but not loving it compared to previous Sentai series. The first two episodes were crappy but after watching a few more, it has grown on me. I do love trains and the mecha is awesome. But focusing on the rangers, they really do suck. I can't stand The Conductor and his monkey puppet along with that weird ass Wagon robot either. I know it's comedy that's reflected from Japanese culture and what's considered normal or funny. But for a Sentai show it's just unnecessary. The Toqgers themselves are extremely annoying and stupid. The only ranger I like in terms of personality is Hikari, mainly because hes mature and hes not a dumbass. He rationalizes the problems and uses logical thinking. Plus he doesn't make an ass out of himself like Right and Tokatti. They are so stupid. I like Mio but her personality is as bland as boiled broccoli. Kagura is ok, I give her a pass for the annoyance simply because her character is deliberately made to be cute and acting all innocent and kiddy. The leader should not be such an annoying childish moron and the blue ranger is just a joke wtf. In conclusion, villains and mecha cool. Our heroes and allies are the other hand are just annoying to me.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top