Who are your favorite tokusatsu actors?

Aoi Kurenai

Mad Skillz
So we haven't had a thread like this in a while, let's get some discussion going! There are a lot of actors who I like, but these are the top four that I can enjoy on screen any time.

Shigeki Hosokawa is my favorite, of course for doing Kamen Rider Hibiki. Whoever the casting director on that show was should be given some sort of awesome reward because they did a kickass job. The cast in general was pretty darn good, but Hosokawa takes the cake for me. He's got this really great air about him that just exudes confidence and friendliness at the same time. Hosokawa was one of those guys that really did become the character, I never had trouble believing that he was Hibiki and this kickass guy that could inspire you to be as kickass as you could on your own. He even managed to handle the second half of the series as well as could be expected with all the changes that were going on and I never stopped thinking he was Hibiki. I think he did what Odagiri did in Kuuga and much better, he could be your friend, but he could also be this demonic force and stern teacher who had control of the situation. I always saw this awesome form of method acting in the guy and I think that's one of the reasons I really loved him as Hibiki.

Second is Kenji Ohba! I really like him because he seemed like he could go from crazy ass kicker one moment to everyone's best friend the next. He was fierce in battle and the friendliest guy you could ever meet outside of that. I think he really must have loved all his roles because there always seems to be this genuine joy that he presents on screen, he has fun with his jobs and I can definitely see why tokusatsu fans in Japan consider him a favorite of the genre. I like him for his smaller roles just as much for his bigger roles as well. Like, anyone notice that, as a whole, Black RX kinda sucks, but it has a lot of fun guest stars that make it a much more enjoyable show otherwise? Not to mention, dude was also a pretty kickass stunt actor, I think he did some stuff for Ban Daisuke in Kikaider and he was also one of the suit actors for Akaranger in Goranger, so that makes him involved in some shape or form with the first four Sentai.

Third would be Hiroshi Watari, I mostly like him for his role as Spielban. He's always got this really human aura about him that sort of makes it seem like he isn't actually acting. I like him for many of the reasons I like Hosokawa, he's a good actor who seems to slide into his roles so very easily and put his own unique spin on all of them.

Next is Akira Yamaguchi, most people know him as Yuki Jouji / Riderman in V3, but I've always thought his best role was as Yutaka Daimon in Zaborger. (dammit, man! P-Productions had at least one good show!) I mostly like him because he seemed to be able to go from playing a character as someone who was basically a walking stereotype to having the character seem as someone much more believable as an actual human.

So those are basically my four favorites, some of the others I think are pretty rad would be Yukio Ito, Youko Nakamura, Akira Senou, Shu Kawai, and Kou Domon for the older crowd and Yudai Chiba, Hiroki Suzuki, Hidenori Tokuyama, Masato Uchiyama, and anyone from Rescue Force for the newer generation of actors.
 
I haven't been watching toku very long so I don't really have enough shows under my belt to have a favorite actor.

I can say that I think Ban Daisuke is awesome. I loved Inazuman and I think Kikaida is awesome too. Unfortunately I haven't seen other tokus with him though I know he had some roles on others. IRL, Ban-san just seems like an extraordinarily humble man that really cares about his fans.
 
Suzuki Hiroki, Riota Ozawa, Yui Koike teehee, Mao Ichimichi, Kento Ono, Mikiho Niwa, Hiroki Aiba, Suzuka Morita, Tori Matsuzaka.
 
I remember in this one Funny or Die episode where they had Daniel Radcliffe, and he joked around about how he wasn't an actor playing Harry Potter. He was Harry Potter playing an actor named Daniel Radcliffe. That's what Joe Odagiri definitely did to me, as well as other toku actors. Though Odagiri is long gone now, his quirkiness and charm definitely has stayed with me all my life. He brought Godai to life. He made you believe in him, when there was no one or nothing else to believe in. Though he may not have been the wise person Hibiki was, Godai was just a man, trying to protect what he loves. The smiles of everyone.

Aoi did Hosokawa already so I'll leave it be. Kenji Matsuda and Shingo Kawaguchi. Man, the arc where Zanki died, that was a fantastic performance by Shingo. We saw Todoroki grow from an noobish Oni, to an independent Oni worthy of the title of Todoroki. Another reason why I loved Hibiki

Another actor I liked was Kashu Toshiki from Agito. Man, I remember when I first watched Agito, I thought "Who the hell is this guy? And why the hell is he just liked Godai?" He could cook and everything, but Kashu distinguished himself from Godai and made us forget all about the Cool Guy. He had that gentle and kind outward appearance, but when an Unknown showed up, it was Mr.Badass. Him and Jun Kaname had excellent chemistry. I for one, totally believe that Kaname deserves all the hype he gets. The way he was Hikawa Makoto. The way he made us believe in the power of ordinary humans was unbelievable. Plus, he did his own stunts in Project G4 so I give him massive props.

The whole cast of Double was great. I always enjoyed how Namai Ami, Asuka Rin, Terada Minori and co. acted as the Sonozaki's. I definitely enjoyed the Sonozaki's. From the backstabbing Saeko, to the lovable healing princess, to the mob boss of the Windy City, the villains were top notch in Double. I especially loved near the end of the series, where Saeko fought futilely against Kazu, only to save the sister she so desperately despised, revealing that no matter what, family is family.

I love so many more actors, from actors like Ryuichiro Nishioka, Keichi Wada and so many more Sentai actors. Hiroshi Nagano was great as Dyna too! As well as Igarashi Shunji as Mebius and so much more.
 
I'll just list them. Im terrible at explaining:sweat:

Favorite Toku actresses:

Rin Takanashi/ ShinkenPink
Mika Katsumura/ TimePink
Megumi Odaka from the Heisei Godzilla series
Rin Asuka from KR W
Asami Kai/MagiBlue

Favorite Toku actors:

Hiro Mizushima/ Kabuto
Joe Odagiri/ Kuuga
Akira Nakao from Heisei Godzilla series
Akihiko Hirata from the Showa Godzilla series
Tsuyoshi Hayashi/ DekaBlue
 
Actors:

- Kenji Ohba (Battle Kenya, Denzi Blue, Gavan);
- Jiro Dan (Hideki Go/Ultraman Jack);
- Hiroshi Watari (Sharivan, Boomerang, Spielban);
- Shigeki Hosokawa (Hibiki);
- Kenji Matsuda (Zanki, Jiro);
- Junichi Haruta (Goggle Black, Dyna Black, MadGalant);
- Hiroshi Miyauchi (Kamen Rider V3, Aoranger, Zubatt, Big One, Masaki, Miura)
- Shingo Katsurayama (Ichijou Kaoru)
- Haruki Hamada (Change Dragon)
- Joji Nakata (Sir Cowler, Bias)
- Tetsuo Kurata (Kamen Rider Black / RX)
- Tetsuo Narikawa (Spectreman)


Actresses:
- Kanako Maeda (Pink Mask)
- Machiko Soga (Hedorian, Pandora, Kumo Gozen, Bandora)
- Aiko Ito (Abare Yellow)
- Naomi Morinaga (Annie, Helen)
- Kaori Sakagami (Shinobu Mizuki)
- Ami Kawai (Marsha, Lamy)
- Eri Tanaka (Mega Yellow)
- Wakiko Kano (Mimi)
- Yu Nakamura (Fire 3)
- Mika Chiba (Tomoko Uesugi, Karin Saeki)
 
Well, I can't remember the names of any Kamen Rider actors, so...

Kotaro Tanaka (Ryu/Red Hawk from Jetman)
Asami Kai (Urara/MagiBlue from Magiranger)
Yuki Ito (Makito/MagiGreen from Magiranger)
Yui Koike (Ahim/GokaiPink from Gokaiger)
 
Fave actors:
-Masahiro Usui/Go-On Green
-Kyousuke Hamao/GoseiBlack
-Yuudai Chiba/GoseiRed
-Kazuki Shimizu/GokaiGreen
-Hiroki Aiba/ShinkenBlue
-Tori Matsuzaka/ShinkenRed
-Yousuke Ito/DekaGreen
-Koji Seto/KR Kiva
-Hirofumi Araki/Rio in GekiRanger
-Shu Watanabe/KR OOO

Fave actresses:
-Mikiho Niwa/GoseiYellow
-Rina Aizawa/Go-On Yellow
-Mao Ichimichi/GokaiYellow
-Rin Asuka/Wakana Sonozaki in W
-Rin Takanashi/ShinkenPink
-Nao Nagasawa/HurricaneBlue
-Kanna Mori/Natsumi Hikari in Decade
-Ami Namai/Saeko Sonozaki in W
-Asami Kai/MagiBlue
 
Some of my favorite Japanese (and some non-Japanese!) actors who have appeared in tokusatsu films and TV:

(Not counting suit actors, that's easy!)

ACTORS

-Hiroshi Abe
-Nick Adams
-Hideyo Amamoto
-Daisuke Ban
-Shin'ichi "Sonny" Chiba
-Harold Conway
-Carl Craig
-Jirou Dan
-Robert Dunham (AKA: Dan Yuma)
-Yuu Fujiki
-Hiroshi Fujioka
-Jun'ichi Haruta
-Akihiko Hirata
-Koujirou Hongou
-Hisaya Itou
-Nadao Kirino
-Yuuki Kitazume
-Hiroshi Koizumi
-Kane Kosugi
-Akira Kubo
-Tetsuo Kurata
-Susumu Kurobe
-Masao Kusakari
-Naoya Makoto
-Hiroshi Miyauchi
-Kouji Moritsugu
-Fuyuki Murakami
-Takehiro Murata
-Hiroshi Nagano
-Tetsuo Narikawa
-Yousuke Natsuki
-Tooru Okazaki
-Kenji Ooba
-Senkichi Oomura
-Kenji Sahara
-Shirou Sano
-Katsuhiko Sasaki
-Takeshi Sasaki
-Toshio Shiba
-Takashi Shimura
-Akira Takarada
-Masahiro Takashima
-Masanobu Takashima
-Tadao Takashima
-Jun Tazaki
-Choutarou Tougin
-Yoshio Tsuchiya
-Ken Utsui
-Akira Yamaguchi
-Osman Yusef

ACTRESSES

-Momoko Kouchi
-Edith Hansen
-Sayoko Hagiwara
-Yuriko Hoshi
-Linda Miller
-Peggy Matsuyama
-Kumi Mizuno
-Peggy Neal
-Yasuko Sawaguchi
-Keiko Sawai
-Yumiko Shaku
-Yumi Shirakawa
-Shelley Sweeney
-Mio Takagi
-Takami Yoshimoto
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top