What exactly is wrong with TV-Nihon subs?

  • Thread starter Thread starter kamil88
  • Start date Start date
In a broader sense, I would say that there's TV shows written for children all around the world where the dialogue is pointedly unrealistic in some way that's thought to be appealing.
THIS DOES NOT COUNT FOR DORA THE EXPLORER!


R-Right super irritating flying card thingy?



lol but really... for how much longer is this thread going to last?
 
Not exactly. The meaning Japanese attach to a lot of English loanwords isn't their original meaning, anymore than English-speakers use "tycoon" in its original sense. That's just part of linguistic drift.

I don't think he means the loan words, but rather just the Engrish they use at times.

Taking a recent example, look at GoBusters!

"It's morphing time!" - Perfectly acceptable borrowed English phrase. But this was always followed by:

"Let's morphing!" - Completely ignores the rules of grammar, and while you get what they were going for it just sounds completely silly if you speak English.
 
So, I want to ask KingRanger. Is the whole leaving words like "tachi" untranslated, like in this pic...

tumblr_mhijk6vh4z1s4ltl4o1_500.jpg


...a thing that they did back when you were working with TVN, or is that only after you left?

And WHY would they do something like this? They have it like 80% translated already! Just have it say: "What are you doing there, fools?"

This is my issue with the people who bash TV-N for their subs. They explain the left-in bits of Japanese right there on the screen. So, if you're paying attention, you'll figure it out. Hell, it even helps you learn some of the language if you really want to see it that way.
 
It's annoying and pointless since we can hear what they're saying already. We already know that there's something pronounced "o-baka-chan-tachi" or whatever when we watch, so the important text (ya know, the words that aren't in Japanese?) gets shoved into secondary space when they do that. It's also slightly jarring to have to look up and down to read. It doesn't prevent you from understanding what's going on, but subtitles shouldn't take away your focus too much.
 
This is my issue with the people who bash TV-N for their subs. They explain the left-in bits of Japanese right there on the screen. So, if you're paying attention, you'll figure it out. Hell, it even helps you learn some of the language if you really want to see it that way.

Except that they don't give an understandable reason why "O baka-chan-tachi" was left untouched, other than they think it *sounds better* in Japanese or that we're somehow missing something simply because the person speaking didn't use a simpler term meaning fools. Yes, if I am paying attention, I will see that translation note. Might even have to pause it to give myself time to read both things. Which, honestly, is something I shouldn't have to do because subs should have an easy-to-read flow. It defeats the purpose if I constantly have to pause to make sense of every little thing.

EDIT: And I really wish people would stop saying how it "teaches you something", because it doesn't. It only teaches you one possible translation for Japanese Word X. If you have never taken any classes or lessons in the language, you'll only associate that one translation for that one word. But any fluent or professional translator can tell you that real translating is not always 1:1. There are many words that can be translated in a number of ways.

And no, I am not bashing or hating on TV-Nihon. I just completely question many of their "translating" choices. Like ChiPsiUp said, if the word means "fools", then just put "What are you doing there, fools?". Or at least a more equivalent version of the word "fools" that matches the dialogue. It's not that hard.
 
This is my issue with the people who bash TV-N for their subs. They explain the left-in bits of Japanese right there on the screen. So, if you're paying attention, you'll figure it out. Hell, it even helps you learn some of the language if you really want to see it that way.

That isn't the point at all. They should not have to explain. They should not be leaving that stuff in Japanese in the first place. I mean it would be like me saying to some one "Yeah go over there and eat a aksdjf;kjsdkfljskldfjsd" and then giving them a note that says "ajhsadhfajsdfkjaslkdf" means hamburger. It doesn't help you learn anything. Fansubs do not help people learn Japanese.
 
"Let's morphing!" - Completely ignores the rules of grammar, and while you get what they were going for it just sounds completely silly if you speak English.
Anybody else get the feeling that was originally a more sensible "let's morph in" and somewhere along the line it got mis-heard and the mistake was reproduced?
This is my issue with the people who bash TV-N for their subs. They explain the left-in bits of Japanese right there on the screen. So, if you're paying attention, you'll figure it out. Hell, it even helps you learn some of the language if you really want to see it that way.
I don't especially mind when they leave the honorifics in (which isn't unique to them; Century Kings and Fushigi-chan subs both have them, though they're nowhere near as prolific) as I originally just ignored them until my curiosity got the better of me and I went and read the wikipedia page on honorifics. Though tbh, out of all the toku I've seen so far I can only think of one instance (it was in Kiva) where knowing the honorifics really was necessary to understand a scene. The example in the picture is a bit much though. It's not a re-occuring phrase, all of the individual components have appeared elsewhere, and I don't really see how it offers the viewer more insight than simply having "fools" at the bottom of the screen. At least in that instance I recall it was on screen long enough for me to read the text at the top, which isn't always guaranteed.
 
I can understand leaving honorifics in (even though in practically all cases, there's a way to translate it), but there is absolutely no reason to leave "baka" or "tachi" in. That screen grab manages to do both.
 
Not exactly. The meaning Japanese attach to a lot of English loanwords isn't their original meaning, anymore than English-speakers use "tycoon" in its original sense. That's just part of linguistic drift.

Wow, I did not know the history behind that word until you got me to look it up. That said, while I think there is a lot of truth in the drift angle, you can't deny that the Japanese also use words from the English language as intended, but as a cooler sounding alternative to their own language.
 
This is my issue with the people who bash TV-N for their subs. They explain the left-in bits of Japanese right there on the screen. So, if you're paying attention, you'll figure it out. Hell, it even helps you learn some of the language if you really want to see it that way.

If you want to learn the language, that is not a good method. I can't stress that enough.. and as the above posters have said, you can already HEAR what they're saying without also needing to read random Japanese phrases. The other problem is that phrases like this aren't always translated, they sometimes just expect you to know or remember from an earlier episode.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top