The Reasons we love Tokusatsu

Because roll calls and poses are alot of fun
Because the girls pose in swimsuits and are generally pretty hot
Because I can collect some of the toys if they're cool enough
Because some of the series are actually great, tell terrific stories, and have interesting characters
Because once the actors hang up their spandex, they can always return to provide VO for the suits so in a way they can do this forever
 
Because (don't continue reading this if you'll be offended)
[HIDE]IT'S MORE FUN THAN AMERICAN COMIC BOOK SUPERHEROES!!![/HIDE]
:sweat:
 
My guilty pleasure (oh the pleasure)

And it is worth all the flak I get, the eyerolls, the sighs, the shoulder shrugs, and look of utter disbelief when ppl I kno find out I dig toku (also applies to MLP: FiM)

It brings me back to my childhood and it makes me look forward to enjoying it along my kids/nephews/nieces/grandkids in the future.

And because I get to share it w other ppl that enjoy it too. I might hate some shows they love and vice-versa but it's still fun just to hav ppl that cn b very passionate about the genre
 
I love tokusatsu because it brings out the inner child in me, Besides that, Great Music, girls and Villains.
 
Because it makes me believe that there is actually justice in this world...even though its fictional. Seriously, toku is my reason for being a martial artist and going to BLET next year to someday become a detective.
 
Because Godzilla started it all for me. And after all these years, he is still my all-time favorite character (tied with Snoopy).

Memories of watching giant monster films and sci-fi films on programs like the ABC 4:30 Movie on Channel 7, WNEW (now WNYW) Channel 5's weekend movie programs, WWOR-TV Channel 9's Thanksgiving Marathons, WPIX Channel 11's 12:30 Movie and Chiller Theater.

By the mid-80s, I graduated to superhero adventures like The Super Inframan, and became aware of Ultraman, watched Dynaman, etc. I hung out with my big brother at his sci-fi clubs at high school, and went to places like Forbidden Planet in NYC, and my very first convention, NYC Creation-Con, where I got my Godzilla and Ultraman fixes.

On the first weekend of 1991, the magazine Markalite was my official doorway to tokusatsu fandom! The making of Godzilla Vs. Biollante (Toho; 1989), Masked Rider Black (Toei; 1987), the retrospective on Spectreman (P-Productions; 1971), a whole list of all the superhero shows from the 50s to the 80s (the "Superhero Rollcall" list article), the retrospective on the Ultra Series, etc.

And I got to learn more about actors like Akira Takarada, Akira Kubo, Yoshio Tsuchiya, Kenji Sahara, Akihiko Hirata, Kumi Mizuno, Jun Tazaki, and a whole galaxy of others. And I later learned about superhero show actors like Daisuke Ban, Hiroshi Miyauchi and many, many others! I accepted these actors like I would any classic Hollywood actor. And I couldn't have it any other way. :)

And best of all, the SPFX. Miniatures, Suitmation, photography, wireworks, compositions, mattes, optical FX, even beautiful art direction by the likes of Tohl Narita, Yasuyuki Inoue, Akira Watanabe, and many, many others. Without Eiji Tsuburaya and these men, tokusatsu would not have that kind of impact today.

And remember, when Godzilla was released in Japan, the critics panned it, saying "Why did Japan bother to make this film? This is better off in the realm of American filmmakers!" The legends at Toho defied the critics, as these films became huge box-office blockbusters, one after another, and it further challenged Eiji Tsuburaya and his crew to do more giant monster films (Godzilla or otherwise), sci-fi films, disaster films, WWII epics, and many others, spawning a whole new generation of special effects artists at other companies like Daiei, Toei, Shochiku, Nikkatsu, and of course, Tsuburaya, on the big screen, and then, the small screen as well!

As all generations of special effects artists in Japan have said, these FX fantasies represented their childhood. And that appeal has become apparent, with colorful, dazzling visuals, and face it, even all of you out there can relate. More than we can say for most American films. And without Eiji Tsuburaya, we would not have not just Godzilla or Gamera, but Ultraman, Masked Rider, and their many sequels and offshoots, especially the now world-famous Super Sentai!

And that's why I love tokusatsu. :)
 
Because it can be showy
Because space can be awesome
Because protecting the earth is a heroes' duty
Because it can showed me desires are horrible to have
Because it can count one person's crime
Because heroes can be passing-through, and you won't even notice.
Because it's on the road of justice
Because it can break our chains of destiny
Because it can form a balanced triangle to fight as one
Because it's a climax from the start to the finish
Because it's on the path of heaven, and the one to rule over everything
Because it's an exciting adventure
Because friendship courage is magic
Because your trump card can decide your fate

And the most important thing:

Because of Japanese models and idols in swimsuits :anime:
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top