The HJU Festival of Books!

Right now I'm reading "Improbable" by Adam Fawer, it's been an engaging read so far. It's really good if you understand math, since the main character is a math genius. The author really doesn't speak down to those who maybe don't understand all that stuff though (Like me!). The main character who is already a mess from the first chapter, just keeps getting in deeper and deeper as the book goes on, and all the twists and turns have been great, and I'm only halfway through the book. :thumbs:
 
gollancz-chroniclesofconan.jpg


Also, DigDoug, here is a link to the Trek novel you mentioned: Kobayashi Maru
 
Oooh a book thread!

Currently half way through:

Kitchen Confidential - Anthony Bourdain
A Cook's Tour - Anthony Bourdain

I also have a bad habit of starting books and only getting half way >_<

Some of my FAVOURITE books are:

Kitchen God's Wife - Amy Tan
The Joy Luck Club - Amy Tan
The Bonesetter's Daughter - Amy Tan

Those are just off the top of my head....and yes I pretty much love all of Amy Tan's work except her last one..."Saving Fish from Drowning" I tried SO hard to get through that one and just couldn't...ugh it was terrible.
 
Oh god, Amy Tan... :sweat:

Right now I'm struggling to get through Neil Gaiman's American Gods so that I can reread Catcher In The Rye (one of my all-time favorites) and get a jump on a giant collection of Raymond Chandler short stories I've had sitting around collecting dust since two Christmas' ago. After that it's back to some HP Lovecraft for another volume of short horror tales, then hopefully I can motivate myself to finishing some of the martial arts and exercise science books I've been putting off for so long. And at some point I want to check out Robert E. Howard's Solomon Kane stories, as recommended by Sandman. So that's what's on my menu for... probably a year and a half. Damn you Neil Gaiman! :shakefist
 
Guns, Germs, and Steel... I can't recommend this highly enough. Purchased for me by ODP.

It brings to light world wide questions that EVERYONE should know, but really nobody really thinks enough about or asks.

The basic question.. why is each region of the planet at different stages of development. It's pretty incredible and just... brings about an awesome understanding of the world and how we all got where we are today.
 
Stone Cold by Robert Swindells
At first I didn't understand it, but as I read it, it became clearer, you see it's kinda like the two time periods in kiva, exept we have two unrelated people in the same city in the same period in Stone Cold. :sweat:
 
I'm actually just finishing up LOTR: ROTK (finally). I plan on picking up Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere soon after though. Anyone ever read it or any other of Neil's books?
 
Like I said, I'm reading American Gods currently. He's a very talented writer and is fairly captivating, but frankly I find the story (or lack thereof) of American Gods completely boring. He's obviously attempting to unveil it little by little, but I'm about a quarter of the way through and nothing has really happened yet. I'm dangerously close to not finishing. Neverwhere is supposed to be his best though, it wouldn't hurt to check it out.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top