Mad Skillz
This is news, right? Because Toei will almost certainly make a big event out of the final Heisei era Rider show and the first show of a new era.

Emperor Akihito of Japan wants to abdicate. But he can't. There's a law that states an emperor must serve until death as well as a post World War II law that states the emperor may not interfere with politics. Asking for the first law to be changed means he's interfering with politics, which would be illegal. So today (Japan time), Emperor Akihito gave a rare public address in which he (essentially stated) "Hey, guys, I'm not getting any younger here," saying he's in good health now but who knows how the busy schedule of an emperor will treat him as he ages further while Abe has said he's now considering options.

If the law is changed and the he's allowed to abdicate, it could take anywhere from 12 to 16 months. This, of course, means Ex-Aid could potentially be the final Heisei era Kamen Rider show.

(thank your for tuning in to "How 19th Century and Post World War II Politics Effect Kamen Rider")

D

Dr Kain

Too bad he couldn't have stepped down when W was starting so we could have an actual name for this era of Kamen Rider instead of Neo-Heisei. :p

Lurker
I never took the neo Heisei thing seriously (and apparently, neither did the entire franchise either). It seemed like a fan term that was never acknowledged by toei. Could be wrong on this.

I never took the neo Heisei thing seriously (and apparently, neither did the entire franchise either). It seemed like a fan term that was never acknowledged by toei. Could be wrong on this.

"Neo-Heisei" isn't used by the Japanese fanbase, so it'd never be acknowledged. They call them "Heisei 2nd phase" though, and there's an obvious effort from Toei to keep them as a separate group in some cases (like in Ultimatum, Sengoku Battle and Ghost's Legend Rider specials, where it's only the Riders from W and on that appear or that get special focus above the others).

They could retroactive call the shows starting from W by the new era name if it happens soon enough, since it marks the departure of Shirakura from the tv series and the point where there were some clear production changes. It'd be rather odd to make a big deal out of a "last Heisei series" if there's no revamp coming alongside it. Although I guess they could use that to hype something like a Decade 2.

"Neo-Heisei" isn't used by the Japanese fanbase, so it'd never be acknowledged. They call them "Heisei 2nd phase" though, and there's an obvious effort from Toei to keep them as a separate group in some cases (like in Ultimatum, Sengoku Battle and Ghost's Legend Rider specials, where it's only the Riders from W and on that appear or that get special focus above the others).

Didn't Kiva and some other pre-W Riders appear in Sengoku Battle?

Didn't Kiva and some other pre-W Riders appear in Sengoku Battle?
The first 10 Heisei Riders only appear in the exposition scenes about how there were various lords fighting for control and the group shot at the end. The only ones that appeared in the story proper and got Legend Rider lockseeds (in that movie) were W -> Wizard.

Lurker
What about Super Sentai? Granted, it doesn't have a huge gap like Rider, but if Ex-Aid is the last Heisei Rider, Zyuohger or the next Sentai will be the last Heisei Sentai.

Granted, I agree with NeonZ, that it probably won't be a big deal unless a big production change just happens to occur then. There does seem to be a bit of a change from Decade to W (in my eyes, more connection between series) but I think if any change occurs, it'll be because it's the relaunch's 20th anniversary (and be with Ex-Aid's successor).

Also, I think we're missing the point: An Emperor is planning to abdicate when tradition says it's a lifetime commitment (can't say I blame him). I'm more interested in that. I guess we'll see what happens and what effect it'll havery on the shows. My guess: they'll get pre-empted by the huge news stories about the event. Anything else will be by stuff that would've happen even if he stayed.

D

Dr Kain

The connection to past series seemed to stop with Fourze. It really just seems like W-Fourze are set in the Showa universe and have Foundation X trying to be the next Shocker, and then everything after it is back to doing its own thing. Just another reason Toei doesn't know what the hell they are doing anymore with the franchise as they clearly got scared to do something different and then went into this safe zone.