For a moment, I thought this thread was about that awful fanfilm, but I digress.

So, listening to this news, why am I not surprised?

Okay, maybe I AM surprised. I mean, DC Comics is finally doing the unthinkable, especially when their most popular character ever is at the top of his game!?! (sarcasm)

If they "kill" Batman, they'd better keep that promise (I still think that Nightwing is a good enough successor to Batman, IMHO), because before you know it, they'll bring him back impatiently, embodied in yet another lame collector-oriented gimmick. I guess Batman's getting his back broken back in 1993 wasn't enough. (Didn't have the same effect as Superman's "death" from 1992, perhaps?)

The seas are full of sharks, so I guess DC Comics should have those motorboats, waterskiis and big platforms ready . . .

Last edited:
It's a hard choice.

Dick- Already has established himself as Nightwing, getting away from Bruce... But now they're back to being a family again, though still doing their own things when they're not needed. I love Dick as Nightwing, I love his origin and everything, and to have him be Bruce's successor seems logical as he's the best match for it- but he worked so hard to form his own identity away from just being a sidekick.

Tim's been doing fine as Robin. As the leader of the Titans he has his own responsibilities and authority, and the identity is suiting him well. Shown as Batman in Titans Tomorrow and he would make a good Batman, it's just what would happen with the Titans, and with him taking up Batman's mantle what about Robin's mantle, and the age thing, etc.

Jason... Just... Nah. It was strange that they brought him back, it was strange they made him a "major" player in Countdown. But DC surely know that he's not well liked. And he's busy dealing with the crisis, universe jumping etc.... Not to mention he just became Red Robin this week, a new and significant identity (and another Kingdom Come entrance). They also had an alternate universe where he met himself from there having taken up the Batman title, which I just saw as an acknowledgement of him as Batman. Then again, so have the other three.

It'd just be too messy if Bruce were to die permanently. For one, it's pretty much impossible- not because he's so "lolbatman", but because of all the different ways he could come back; including alternate universe batmans, and lazarus pits (they JUST brought Ghul back). Also, he's such a major player in DC- He's JUST become the leader of the Outsiders, and that title is only a few issues in. It's just weird to put all that effort into starting a new title to have it stop, or have them leaderless, or go back to being the Outsiders... Or if a new Batman took over that would just create all kinds of issues.

My opinion? Kill him temporarilly or have him go missing- just to show what it'd be like, like with Superman's death(s). DON'T have anyone else become Batman- have the others take care of things while he's gone. I'd say Nightwing is pretty much equal to Batman- easilly a substitute for him temporarilly, just would lose to batman if they ever faced off in any form of competition. Tim is arguably an even better detective, but his youth, though advantageous in him lasting, also limits him, as well as his responsibilities (they all have responsibilities, so you have to have multiple people help out filling in for Batman so they don't neglect their own duties); Oracle taking care of the investigation/ information/ detective work, the current Batgirl helping out however she can (not so familiar with her), and, finally, a nice opportunity to have Batwoman and Renee (Question) back on the scene, as together they're a good Batman combo. So basically... Bruce disappears for a while, and a 'colony/ cloud' of the whole extended Bat family network filling in.

Sorry to disappoint, but he is NOT going to die. Not only has the head honchos at DC said it's not going to happen, but the Batman RIP is just a continuation of the current storyline where he gets shot in the chest and apparently meets many of the crazier Batman secondary characters from the 50s incarnation. He does "die" technically, but he doesn't stay dead.

I don't get what the big attraction of killing off comic icons is these days.
Simple Death=Higher Sales as the Superman and Captain America death proved and comic book companies like any form of business seek to earn maximum returns on their investment.

At least Clark is still married to Lois.
Well to be fair, the writing side of the company tried to undo the marriage twice and both times got shot down.

Last edited:
to be followed by a world with out batman and reign of the batmen, soon to be retconned by Final Crisis :laugh:

Nononono, Bruce Wayne became Batman to avenge his parents so he will become the Spirit of Vengeance and return in Batman: Rebirth :laugh:

Lurker
Not to mention Clark and Lois now have an adopted son. Progression in a superhero title? Unheard of

Like Superman's death being a publicity stunt, like Cival War being a publcity stunt, like Spidey's marraige being retconned being a publcity stunt, everything eventually returns to normalcy (and Dan Slott let something slip accidently on CBR that told me BND is just an arc) eventually.

Red Robin is almost an admission of defeat by DC that Todd's return wasnt popular and they gave him a coustume and storyline that could only befit a dork

And yep, Bruce is'nt going to die

Last edited: