Spider-Man's Officially In The Marvel Cinematic Universe Now

They might still be worth viewing in their own right, regardless of canon?

I just don't see any reason to get invested in something that will never have a true conclusion. I suffered through the crap that was TASM2 because of all of their plans for this entire storyline and now I wasted my time with not only seeing both movies in theaters, but for even rewatching the first one before the second came out.
 
As a casual viewer of comic book superhero adaptations, I was never really that bothered about TASM or its sequel and spinoffs, mainly because the reboot came so quickly after the Raimi films that I couldn't get excited about watching another origin story. If they really wanted to catch my interest then they'd announce that the Spiderman joining the MCU was the Morales version. I know, I know, it's not going to happen. Parker is more well known and white guys are considered to be more "bankable" leads for the solo movies. But having it be someone else would really give me a reason to see the next Spiderman film because it's someone else's origin story (heck, you could even have Garfield be Parker just to pass the torch).

Either way, there are 2 major advantages I can see from this:
(a) With the status of Downey, Evans etc unknown after Avengers 3, cycling Spidey in is a great way to have a "tent pole" character to hold up a second generation Avengers team.
(b) If Sony isn't trying to create a "Spider-verse" to compete with the MCU then there's a little less content flooding the market and it might take a little longer for the bubble to burst.
 
As a casual viewer of comic book superhero adaptations, I was never really that bothered about TASM or its sequel and spinoffs, mainly because the reboot came so quickly after the Raimi films that I couldn't get excited about watching another origin story. If they really wanted to catch my interest then they'd announce that the Spiderman joining the MCU was the Morales version. I know, I know, it's not going to happen. Parker is more well known and white guys are considered to be more "bankable" leads for the solo movies. But having it be someone else would really give me a reason to see the next Spiderman film because it's someone else's origin story (heck, you could even have Garfield be Parker just to pass the torch).

Agreed about Miles, but...we both know it won't happen. :disappoin

Either way, there are 2 major advantages I can see from this:
(a) With the status of Downey, Evans etc unknown after Avengers 3, cycling Spidey in is a great way to have a "tent pole" character to hold up a second generation Avengers team.

Good point.

(b) If Sony isn't trying to create a "Spider-verse" to compete with the MCU then there's a little less content flooding the market and it might take a little longer for the bubble to burst.

The thing is they CAN create a "Spider-Verse" without it competing with the MCU. Remember, the terms of the partnership is both studios can use each other's characters. That's the beauty of it. So anyone from the Spidey-verse can appear in the Marvel Studios movies, and vice versa. Though the only character I can think of that's worth being lent to the Marvel Studios side is Black Cat.

EDIT: Derp, forgot about Norman Osborne. He's about the closest thing Marvel has to a Lex Luthor, so he would be an obvious choice to pop up in both universes as well.
 
Last edited:
Glad to hear Spidey is allowed to be home with Marvel Studios now. I bet Sony is desperate as they have seen their stock drop big time from the last few Spidey films and the recent hack due to "The Interview." By the way, I think that movie should be the real MVP of this deal. I am intrigued to see how he will fit into the next phases and if we will see another reboot or just a short origin summary as seen in The Incredible Hulk. No more origin movies please.
 
Well, to be fair, unless you're ALREADY a comic fan, which is a steadily dwindling number of people, most people have no idea who Miles Morales even is. Heck, I barely know anything about him, as I only know about comic news in passing, usually when people bitch about movies forgetting some obscure and not so obscure detail.

OTOH, Peter Parker is basically the only version of Spidey that just about anyone who isn't already a fan knows of. It's the smart move, going with the character people remember and recognize.
 
The negotiations were something along these lines...

B9dd37UIcAADFw2.jpg:large
 
Miles Morales is a good way of avoiding a reboot if they can't get Andrew Garfield (or Tobey Maguire?!), and they should be doing their utmost effort to avoid a reboot. Not only is it even sooner than TASM was, but it would put them a step above DC who have done just that with Bats.

The thing is they CAN create a "Spider-Verse" without it competing with the MCU. Remember, the terms of the partnership is both studios can use each other's characters. That's the beauty of it. So anyone from the Spidey-verse can appear in the Marvel Studios movies, and vice versa. Though the only character I can think of that's worth being lent to the Marvel Studios side is Black Cat.

EDIT: Derp, forgot about Norman Osborne. He's about the closest thing Marvel has to a Lex Luthor, so he would be an obvious choice to pop up in both universes as well.
There shouldn't be any bloody competition, just cooperation.

Well, to be fair, unless you're ALREADY a comic fan, which is a steadily dwindling number of people, most people have no idea who Miles Morales even is. Heck, I barely know anything about him, as I only know about comic news in passing, usually when people bitch about movies forgetting some obscure and not so obscure detail.
Introduction. This would be a NEW character. No problem if they don't know who he is.
 
This is my take if they do have a Spider-Man PCS in Age of Ultron:

Credits end. A group of High School students are on a field trip to Stark/Avengers tower. They are led into the room where the Arc Reactor is. A spider crawls out of the reactor. It descends on one of student's hands that's holding on to the safety railings. Just as the students are about to leave, the spider bites the kid's hand. He grabs his hand in pain and the camera reveals him to be Donald Glover, in glasses, with a visitor tag that reads "Peter Parker". Cue Peter's POV, the spider writhing and squirming. Shot back to Peter. Cue POV of his hand, "radioactive" venom bulging out his veins. Shot back to Peter. Back to spider, dead. Shot back to Peter, with a worried expression of his face. Cut to black, dramatic strings.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top