"Space Squad" Movies - Gavan and Dekaranger

Toku Prime

Well-Known Member
SS%C3%A2%C3%AC%C3%A2S.jpg

Toei have released a press release confirming that next year they will release two straight-to-DVD (and Blu-Ray) tokusatsu films under the collective name of "Space Squad". The films will be released on the same day (currently only identified as during the summer) and there will be some kind of theatre show accompanying them. Both films are to be written by Naruhisa Arakawa (Dekaranger, Gokaiger) and directed by Koichi Sakamoto (Kamen Rider Fourze, Kyoryuger).

'Space Sheriff Gavan vs Tokusou Sentai Dekaranger'

c______j__b__g.jpg

Geki, the new Gavan, (once again played by Yuma Ishigaki) will feature alongside all six Dekarangers. All that is known about the plot is that they will team up to face "a massive space criminal organisation". (sooo I'm guessing Makuu then?)

'Girls In Trouble: Space Squad Episode Zero'

git__e__b__u___-1.avif​

As implied by calling it "episode zero", this will be a prologue to the other film. It will not include the male actors from either franchise. Instead the film will be a “sexy girls action movie” (because of course it is, it's a Sakamoto movie) focusing on Jasmine and Umeko. It has been confirmed that the actresses who played Geki's partner Shelly (aka Shinken Yellow) and the new Shaider's partner Tamy are returning. Just looking at the poster, it seems as if the new Sharivan's partner Sisi will be back too.
 
I dunno, I read this news and the first thought that crosses into my head sure as hell isn't "boring".

I mean, I'm game. I wasn't expecting the Dekaranger cast to reunite ever again but here we are.

In Arakawa I trust.
 
Space Sheriff vs Dekaranger was one Toku crossover that I wanted to see. Too bad the Original Gavan and Dekamaster are both retired and promoted to General. It would be epic to see them in a sword duel. But still I'm glad its happening. Dekaranger is a fan favorite in Japan, which why the full cast is once again reunited and its always good to see Toei keep the Metal Heroes relevant by making another movie about them.
 
Space Sheriff vs Dekaranger was one Toku crossover that I wanted to see. Too bad the Original Gavan and Dekamaster are both retired and promoted to General. It would be epic to see them in a sword duel. But still I'm glad its happening. Dekaranger is a fan favorite in Japan, which why the full cast is once again reunited and its always good to see Toei keep the Metal Heroes relevant by making another movie about them.

Not to mention that next year is Metal Heroes' 35th anniversary. However I do agree that is better than having the having the franchise gathering dust in a vault, since five years ago they reintroduced it to today's fans.
 
Eh, I'm not sure this is keeping Metal Heroes relevant. At this point it's a coin toss between life support and flogging a dead horse. Still, Geki doesn't annoy me so I'm sure he won't cause too much disruption to what I suspect will largely be a Dekaranger adventure.

Gavan vs Deka seems like a fairly straightforward crossover story to me. A very safe "this will sell in decent numbers" special. Having said that, while there was loads that I wish Deka 10YA had done differently I still really enjoyed it largely down to the cast, so I'm sure they can sell me on this one too.

'Girls in Trouble' seems like the one with the most potential, yet is also the one I'm the more worried about. Having the ladies all out of their various usual uniforms on the poster suggests maybe it's a "five badass women on an undercover adventure" type story, which would be cool. Umeko was basically the main character of Deka 10YA and IMO did a good job (though I did always like her as the plucky underdog of the team anyway). Jasmine's actress is very likeable, so it would be cool to see them both get more focus.

Shelly and Sisi are basically still blank slates so it would be cool to do something to flesh them out beyond "I push buttons in my friend's spaceship yay!" (and Shinken Yellow had a certain shy charm that the actress has maintained in the couple of other things I've seen her in). Tbh Tamy more or less ruined the Shaider Next Generation film for me, but that was rooted in her interactions with Shaider so with him out of the picture maybe this is an opportunity to reinvent and redeem the character? (who, let's not forget, is an alien with the option to hulk out when mad)

On the other hand, the two ladies that can transform will likely outshine the other three and leave them in supporting roles. Being a prequel implies that they can't completely win the day because it has to lead into the other film. Finally, it's a Sakamoto film and if it's anything like the Sharivan and Shaider films (which he also directed) then every action scene will just be him indulging in his love for "male gaze" style close-ups of young womens' thighs, to the point where the fight is irrelevant (and completely unfollowable) compared to him indulging his kink. :redface2:
 
I loved and enjoyed the Heisei Uchuu Keiji films, so I'm totally game for it as well. at least they're doing something anniversary like for Gavan. I was already expecting Toei to overlook it and give us another half-assed effort along the lines of a Gavan cameo in a future Zyuohger episode.
 
I doubt the focus here was "important anniversary tribute" so much as "cynical cash-grab, Sakamoto indulging his perversions yet again, and STILL trying to push for a Metal Heroes revival after four years of limited success"
 
I doubt the focus here was "important anniversary tribute" so much as "cynical cash-grab, Sakamoto indulging his perversions yet again, and STILL trying to push for a Metal Heroes revival after four years of limited success"

It's a cynical cash grab AND a slap in the face -- since 2004, fans have wanted Gavan and the Dekaranger to cross paths, and Toei's finally giving it to them...only it's not Gavan, it's that fake guy, you know, the one who really, really sucks and has ruined several movies already. I don't know what dirt Yuma Ishigaki has on the Japanese entertainment industry, but it must be earth-shattering for him to get so many chances to keep on suckin'.

And don't give me that "Retsu is captain now!" Like the Space Sheriffs ever cared about continuity. Like Toei ever cared about continuity -- how many times did the Showa Riders die but come back just in time for a team-up? Just bring Retsu back. Bury the memories of those atrocious Next Generation movies.

(I can't believe I actually forgot how bad the Shaider Next Generation was until someone in this thread reminded me of Tammy and her painfully unfunny, idiotic antics. Damn, what a bad movie.)
 
(I can't believe I actually forgot how bad the Shaider Next Generation was until someone in this thread reminded me of Tammy and her painfully unfunny, idiotic antics. Damn, what a bad movie.)

Yeah, like they had any intention of Tammy ever being a fleshed out character. She's a blatant KyoryuPink rip off, right down to the "feistiness" that amounts to nothing more than an excuse for more close-ups of her legs and butt (and more "hilarious" romantic jealousy which involves her constantly smacking Shaider around. I dunno, since Sissy got hit or beaten up about five times in the Sharivan movie maybe they wanted to deflect criticism by saying "See, it's not just her!") And if you think Tammy's character is going to be developed any further than that in a movie that's being made basically as one of Sakamoto's borderline soft-porn exercises ... well, you've got more faith than I have, that's for sure.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top