just saw it...

1. sad that he had to kill his friend. :/
2. he got a good spanking from Retsu Ichijouji =)
3. more Space Sheriff please

"Training."
Poor Lizard Doubler got raped during Retsu's Gavan Dynamic scene. He had no chance. :laugh:

SLICE
The Makuu Space thing is one thing I'm really disappointed in because of how tame it was.

In the show they'd fight on CLOCKS and ride the trails of STARS and be in all kinds of truly bizarre and weird and creative places...

Here it's regular Earth only a little wacky and tinted a different color. Woo.

I liked Geki, but overall wasn't fond of this movie.

The story was... standard. I don't think it had any big problem but it really didn't do anything above and beyond expectations to hook anyone into it. The content also doesn't justify just how slow the movie was for the first half. Even when there was action, many of the action sequences were pretty weak too.

Gavan vs Lizard Doubler was pretty much the best in suit fighting scene in the movie. It had actual progression and showed the two Gavans turning around the battle and afterwards the original Gavan getting through his defenses and finishing him off. The other battles all seemed to end with sudden finisher attacks, without any sense of progression beforehand, even Geki's final battle followed those lines. It reminded me of the All Rider movies, but at least those have tons of heroes and villains around to justify the quick finishers, while here they seemed completely unnecessary and just make all villains look pathetic in the end. Also, just like in several of the Rider crossover movies, it was pretty obvious that they threw in some characters (the new Sharivan and Shaider) late into the movie's production and they really stick out. They get assigned to Earth in the beginning of the movie, and then aren't even mentioned anymore until they appear out of nowhere in the final battle?

The Makuu space scene seemed kind of odd. They avoided some of the bigger crazy visuals from the tv show, but went with something really cheesy that likely just looked odd to people who didn't watch the original Gavan. I think they should just have gone all out with crazy background and scenarios there, rather than the rather grounded approach.

The Space Sheriff suits, especially Gavan's due to its bigger exposition, showed their age pretty strongly at times. Same goes to the Dolgiran. In ship form it worked at times, but the dragon just really needed a more detailed 3d model and to either receive a more organic redesign, or to be actually animated like a mechanical creature.

The scene where Retsu beat up Geki worked pretty well though, even if it was really cliche, I thought it actually felt physical and had some impact, unlike the actual fighting scenes. I also liked how they presented Don Horror, who ended up overshadowing all the other villains with actual screen presence.

Last edited:
I enjoyed the move, though like a lot of people have said already, I saw the reveal a mile off.

The down points for me? Space battle, aside from a chance to show off the Starbeast, just felt tacked on, could have been cut. And while I did get a bit of a chuckle out of the Makuu space sequence, I'd have been happy if they went straight to the train, rather than the stage show. Felt like it couldn't decide on a tone (ie serious, dramatic, buddy cop (which is what the Makuu Space sequence felt like)

Also, for anyone who knows about the original series, was HQ's only role to call in and tell Gavan how badly he messed up? 'Cause that's what it felt like here.

That said, I'd say it's worth a watch.

Also, just like in several of the Rider crossover movies, it was pretty obvious that they threw in some characters (the new Sharivan and Shaider) late into the movie's production and they really stick out. They get assigned to Earth in the beginning of the movie, and then aren't even mentioned anymore until they appear out of nowhere in the final battle?
The Space Sheriff suits, especially Gavan's due to its bigger exposition, showed their age pretty strongly at times. Same goes to the Dolgiran. In ship form it worked at times, but the dragon just really needed a more detailed 3d model and to either receive a more organic redesign, or to be actually animated like a mechanical creature.
The ship and dragon didn't look as good as I remember them doing in Gokaiger vs Gavan. Maybe that's my faulty memory, but it looked far more detailed in that film. I think Gavan's design has probably aged better than the other two. Shaider especially suffers because it's very bulky. He just ends up looking podgy. I'm torn as to whether they were included purely for the marketing value of being able to show the three of them together in the trailer, to set them up so they could treat them as a trio if they got a sequel, or because they hoped that cameos from Kamen Rider Birth and Geki Violet would provide some fanservice. Also, it may have just been left on the cutting room floor, but we never see them again after they defeat their opponents. Either they just left without bothering to check if the rookie was OK, or they died when the ship blew up at the end :eyebrow:
And while I did get a bit of a chuckle out of the Makuu space sequence, I'd have been happy if they went straight to the train, rather than the stage show. Felt like it couldn't decide on a tone (ie serious, dramatic, buddy cop (which is what the Makuu Space sequence felt like)
The Makuu Space bit just seemed really forced to me. The early part of the film had an almost Garo-like tone, and most of the film stayed pretty serious. It's almost as if they just said "well we need to throw something in for the pre-schooler Sentai fans who've come to see this after watching Gavan meet the Gokaigers and Go-Busters". From what people have previously said about Makuu Space in the show, it was surreal and disorientating. The Makuu Space in this film felt as if it should have had the Benny Hill theme music playing over the top. :redface2:

D

Dr Kain

I found this movie to be extremely subpar and was extremely disappointed with it. First off, the characters of this movie were so lackluster. I could not give a damn what happened to Geki and would have rather he died. His character was way too whiny, far too weak, and unlikable. Not to mention his acting could make Shia Lebeouf look good. Then you had Shelly, who has to have the most ridiculous costume I have seen from a Toku show in a long time. I don't care if that is how the partners looked in the 80s, this is 2013, it is time to keep some things in the time period they came from. Next was how pointless Shaider and Sharivan were. They served absolutely nothing to the story and we did not even get to watch them actually fight.

Next up, the plot. The Japanese need to learn how to write some new ****ing plot twists!! I am sick to death of this whole, "We think he is dead but he is really the villain" plot. It is bull**** and something the Japanese do way too much these days. That plot is exactly why Fullmetal Alchemist The Sacred Stars of Milos is nothing but utter ****! They do it in every freaking thing whether it be movies, anime, toku, or video games and I am tired of it. They need to either have their writers start reading books or get new writers. The moment I saw Geki and Touya walking in the space suits that one of them was going to "die" and become the villain of the movie, just because it was that predictable.

Third, the CGI in this movie was down right awful, like 1998 Playstation awful. I know Toei doesn't have the budget of a Hollywood movie, but they could have at least made it look like they were trying. And what was up with the armada of enemy ships that just appeared out of nowhere? It seemed forced in and out of the blue. When did the enemy have those ships?

On the positive side, every scene with the original Gavan was excellent. In fact, he vastly over shadowed Geki, making Geki entirely useless. What was the point of Geki? The movie would have been perfectly fine with just Gavan. He outshined Geki on every level. I want a new movie with him and just him, not Geki.

Also, the stuff in the Makaa Space were excellent and great. I loved how well done that was and wished it had been longer. In fact, I wished they had actually fought in there instead of just running away from battle the entire time.

Overall, this movie was bad, Super Hero Taisen levels of bad, maybe even worse. They took what should have been an incredible movie and wasted it on pointless boring banter of information we did not need to know, on what we did not care about, and what we figured out in the first two minutes of the movie. I give this movie a 2/5 and that 2 is only because of the original Gavan. While I am glad to have seen it, it is definitely not a movie I can see myself ever revisiting. Next time, they should just do a 13 episode series instead because that is what this felt like. Thirteen episodes crammed into a 90 minute plot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gotta say it exceeded my expectation considering I looked up the director's past work which included some of the worst KR movies I've seen.

Not too much of the toku-for-kids atmosphere here, still flawed a little bit here and there, but overall it survived my early judgment.

Good job.

Bearing in mind that all I had seen of Space Sheriff series prior to this were the few episodes of Shaider that HNT subbed, and the Gokaiger/Gavin movie, I liked it overall.

I guess I liked it enough. It gave me the feeling that the writer had a series in mind, and then just super compressed his plans to fit movie length.

Geki came off a lot better here than in did in the Go-Busters episodes, but Shelley was as useless here as ever. The fights, when they happened, were good, but I cannot think of a "plot twist" that was as obvious as this movie's.

So, yeah. I liked it overall, would like to see more, but considering I heard this movie bombed, that prospect is not looking too bright.

I would like to see the show, though.

Lurker
Never saw any of the original shows, didn't watch Gokai vs. Gavan, but did see the Busters episodes, where I hated the two characters.

I enjoyed this movie. As of late I've hated almost everything Toei's done. I gave up on Wizard, Kyoryuger just isn't something that interests me, and their movies seem to be getting worse. Regardless, I had high hopes for this, and it didn't hit them all, but I at least found it pretty good.

I was surprised that it went for more of a dramatic feel. Not First/Next levels, but not Sentai/Rider levels. Almost like a nice medium. That being said, I hated the Makkuu Space stuff. It ruined the flow for me.

I still hated Shelly. Her costume change especially. She felt really worthless through most of it, just like R5 and GekiViolet, which was sad (for those two anyway). I liked Geki more here than I did in Busters, so that was nice.

Was the twist obvious? Yeah. It really was. But oh well. If nothing else, the Brighton suit was beautiful. I was really hoping for helmetless Tooya vs. helmetless Geki at the end.

One thing I didn't like was almost anything involving jumping attacks, being thrown, anything in the air really. It looked ridiculous for some reason. I think it almost felt like they shouldn't have used standard toku combat in this movie, and stuck with a more grounded combat approach. I think the atmosphere of the movie for the most part felt like that would have fit better. At least, that's how I felt about it.

I see why kids didn't enjoy it, it almost feels like it was aimed at an older audience, although still with sillier things for the kids who came to see it. I almost wonder if they weren't just better off making a First-styled reboot or something.

I really do wish we'd get a sequel. I think there's potential here, but we won't be seeing anything more out of it, which is kind of sad.

One more thought: I didn't mind the Tooya thing at the time I was watching because it made me wonder if it was a Hunter Killer situation (aside from the obvious cliche). Turns out HK betrayed Gavan's father, not Gavan, so that shot that down and made me a bit more disappointed, but oh well.