Kaiju no Kami Reviews - Space Sheriff Gavan (1982) Series

D

Dr Kain

He's half human, half alien, all cop. Space Sheriff Gavan tells the adventures of a space cop who is protecting the Earth from an evil criminal organization known as the Makuu. In the early 1980s, Toei wanted to start up a new Tokusatsu franchise that new fans could just jump into without having to know the series that came prior to it compared to Kamen Rider and Sentai, thus giving birth to the Metal Heroes franchise. Is Gavan a worthy kick-off to a franchise that would span nearly two decades or should it have been sentenced to prison? Watch to find out.

https://youtu.be/5xU32en8-QU

Member of the Doomcock Army, w/o respect we reject
Well doc I got good news and bad news. Good news is if you want better villains Sharivan has the best in the trilogy, Mao Psycho is possibly one of the best big bads in all of toku. The bad news is out of the three titular heroes Gavan was the best of them. Also it was the only serious one of the three, expect things to get more on the silly side of things. But hey, Sharivan and Shaider get somewhat less episodic as a result. Super Hero Wars Z really screwed the pooch on Reider's character (if it's even the same Reider). You gotta love how for a trilogy about space cops only the first batch of baddies acted like a mafia while the others consist of a cult and a galactic empire. Not even joking, in terms of sheer size the Fuuma from Shaider are only rivaled by the Jark Matter from Kyuranger and it's not even a spoiler, they establish that well into the first episode.

By the way have you considered reviewing any of the Pre-Black showa riders? I'm legit curious how you'd react to Super-1.

D

Dr Kain

By the way have you considered reviewing any of the Pre-Black showa riders? I'm legit curious how you'd react to Super-1.

My goal is to eventually have all of Kamen Rider reviewed, but with Shout! Factory licensing the franchise now, I'm not touching any series until I know for sure what their long term plans are.

And that's fine, right now I've got Sentai and Ultraman to focus on with some Metal Heroes to sprinkle inbetween.