Sometimes..traditional in Super Sentai that need to be broken down.

Wasn't Megumi's suit dark blue?

Yes, and NinjaBlue was light blue. They were exceptions

Magi Yellow was a jerk.

He was immature. It seems to go well with a childish but lively character - even for male Yellows (GingaYellow, Yellow Turbo, GoGoYellow would all fit this)

More to the point: could you imagine a character like, say, BoukenYellow or ShinkenYellow as a Green or Black Ranger? Why not?
 
Last edited:
Yes, and NinjaBlue was light blue. They were exceptions



He was immature. It seems to go well with a childish but lively character - even for male Yellows (GingaYellow, Yellow Turbo, GoGoYellow would all fit this)

More to the point: could you imagine a character like, say, BoukenYellow or ShinkenYellow as a Green or Black Ranger? Why not?

I can see them being more Green then Black.
Black usually is the more serious one of the group I can see TimePink or even Gokaiyellow being one of them.
 
Wasn't Megumi's suit dark blue?

yep. The two exceptions

powerranger3670big.jpg

kaku-rg-saizou.jpg


Also I watched all of magiranger and of all the words I can think of to describe Magiyellow, immature is not one of them.
 
Also I watched all of magiranger and of all the words I can think of to describe Magiyellow, immature is not one of them.

He was pretty selfish and short-tempered, those are considered childish characteristics in Japan
 
The trouble with making a girl main comic relief is that wacky comedy often requires a character to look ugly, undignified, or unpleasant. Most producers don't want to do this to their female characters, whom they ideally want to remain marketable and cute.

(This is, incidentally, why I celebrate characters like Akiko in W. Even if you don't particularly like her for the things she does in the series, her role is one that women rarely get to play in this genre.)

Good lord you're right. I remember the first thing I thought when i saw Akiko was "Who's the kid and wheres my hot rider girl". :sweat: Though I was pretty attached to the character by the end of the series. I'll admit, A female comic relief character would require a bit more doing than the usual male but I think it's be fun to see.
 
The trouble with making a girl main comic relief is that wacky comedy often requires a character to look ugly, undignified, or unpleasant. Most producers don't want to do this to their female characters, whom they ideally want to remain marketable and cute.

(This is, incidentally, why I celebrate characters like Akiko in W. Even if you don't particularly like her for the things she does in the series, her role is one that women rarely get to play in this genre.)

Oh, that's a very good point about Akiko. I never thought about her that way before. It's true that she was definitely comic relief, but at the same time still portrayed as attractive (I mean, I know a lot of HJU posters don't particularly think she's that cute, but the character was definitely portrayed as one men could find attractive, what with Ryu marrying her and all).
 
Oh, that's a very good point about Akiko. I never thought about her that way before. It's true that she was definitely comic relief, but at the same time still portrayed as attractive (I mean, I know a lot of HJU posters don't particularly think she's that cute, but the character was definitely portrayed as one men could find attractive, what with Ryu marrying her and all).

In Kamen Rider W's Delusion part 1, Shataro was fantasizing about having a sexy secretary working for him, and so Akiko was transformed into a hot babe in a business suit. It was quite hilarious. :laugh:
 
In Kamen Rider W's Delusion part 1, Shataro was fantasizing about having a sexy secretary working for him, and so Akiko was transformed into a hot babe in a business suit. It was quite hilarious. :laugh:

Shotaro has a really weird obsession with Akiko wearing sexy outfits for him, if his Delusion Diaries are anything to go by.
 
He has a weird obsession with trying to look cool, more like. If Akiko was a sexy bombshell it'd make him look a lot more hard-boiled.
 
Good lord you're right. I remember the first thing I thought when i saw Akiko was "Who's the kid and wheres my hot rider girl". :sweat: Though I was pretty attached to the character by the end of the series. I'll admit, A female comic relief character would require a bit more doing than the usual male but I think it's be fun to see.

As Lynxara was saying earlier, it's a thing that could really easily be fixed just by having more female characters in the shows. If you had the usual female pink and yellow plus, say, a silly girl green or silly girl sixth ranger, there wouldn't be any room for complaint. But that would require having more/equal numbers of girls and guys...

One thing I also like (and I know it's not popular with the guys on the forum :P) is the recent trend of going full-suit with the lady villains. I just feel like I can take female villains more seriously when there's not the underlying feeling that they exist primarily to titillate the teenage fanbase.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top