I've heard this was simply more fearmongering to the American public, had an infeasible and poor plot, and generally was handled quite badly.

Well, I have yet to see this, but this coming from a friend who's usually reliable in their judgment...makes me think. For those who have seen it, why was it so good, awesome. etc. in your opinion?

I thought it was handled pretty well. It's a campy action flick, does the plot need to be mesmerizing and thought provoking? No. If you like action, gore, sex, snakes, and Samuel L. Jackson, you will enjoy the movie. Just look at the title for godsakes, whoever you heard from apparently expected some kind of landmark film like "Once Upon a Time in the West". You're really expecting way too much. The Boston Globe gave it 3.5 stars out of 4 stars. :thumbs:

Would like to change his avatar
Gaddammit, can't this movie just come and go already!? I'm tired of people pretending that it's going to be this big Rocky Horror Picture Show type ordeal where it's so awesomely bad that it's fun and cheese and the audience can participate and laugh at it. It's another poopy Hollywood idea, but by Hollywood just openly saying it's poopy for once, people have had their spoons ready in anticipation to eat that poopy for some reason. :shrug:

It just seems to me like a really half-baked idea and they're trying to save their asses by claiming they were going for schlocky cheese, but...come on. Most movies-that-are-so-bad-you-love-'em are born from material that's so absurd, yet the cast and crew play it straight to the point of almost tedium and hamminess. Something like "Bram Stoker's Dracula" or "Saw" -- those are awesomely bad. "Snakes on a Plan," plus every other movie out this summer -- just bad bad.

P.S. Sam Jackson's been dead to me since Star Wars.

Gaddammit, can't this movie just come and go already!? I'm tired of people pretending that it's going to be this big Rocky Horror Picture Show type ordeal where it's so awesomely bad that it's fun and cheese and the audience can participate and laugh at it. It's another poopy Hollywood idea, but by Hollywood just openly saying it's poopy for once, people have had their spoons ready in anticipation to eat that poopy for some reason. :shrug:

It just seems to me like a really half-baked idea and they're trying to save their asses by claiming they were going for schlocky cheese, but...come on. Most movies-that-are-so-bad-you-love-'em are born from material that's so absurd, yet the cast and crew play it straight to the point of almost tedium and hamminess. Something like "Bram Stoker's Dracula" or "Saw" -- those are awesomely bad. "Snakes on a Plan," plus every other movie out this summer -- just bad bad.

P.S. Sam Jackson's been dead to me since Star Wars.
... No offense, but you really, really need to get out more.

Now known as MythicFables
Snakes are cold-blooded, so if you turned the AC down low enough most of them would go dormant, methinks, until you could land the plane.

There is a very good reason why they couldn't do that.[HIDE]the first thing that gets busted is the air circulators. No AC. Besides, the snakes were going butt crazy.(there is also a good reason for that too, but you'll need to see the film to find out what)[/HIDE]

Fear the glasses!!
Fearmongering? :laugh: Wow. Sounds to me like you're friend took this movie serious, which makes their opinion almost worthless in the case of a movie like this. Its a bad movie. (Poor plot? Duh. Snakes are cold-blooded, so if you turned the AC down low enough most of them would go dormant, methinks, until you could land the plane....) Its supposed to be bad, and taking it serious is a joke in itself.

Hmmm...Sounds to me you are the one taking things quite seriously. All I asked was for an opinion and honest answer as to why you [plural] all thought it was so great. I'll ask you to leave your half-assed ill-informed judgments of my friend at the first post, thanks.

Kyusaku said:
I thought it was handled pretty well. It's a campy action flick, does the plot need to be mesmerizing and thought provoking? No. If you like action, gore, sex, snakes, and Samuel L. Jackson, you will enjoy the movie. Just look at the title for godsakes, whoever you heard from apparently expected some kind of landmark film like "Once Upon a Time in the West". You're really expecting way too much. The Boston Globe gave it 3.5 stars out of 4 stars.

No, a plot doesn't need to be mesmirizing and thought-provoking to be good, but it does need to bear some semblance to reality. I like action, gore, sex - hold the snakes; Samuel L. Jackson - eh, we'll leave him be already and so does my friend (s), but if they say even with that, this movie was that unsatisfactory, it gives me reason to pause. I won't speak for my friend, but no, I doubt that they were even close to expecting a landmark film. And the Boston Globe to follow ratings? I won't get into that, but I know more about their so-called rating system and know better.

And riiiight, taking into consideration all the money, effort, time, that goes into making a Hollywood film, I seriously doubt that they'd just throw something slipshod together and expect it to be as such. Particularly if the acclaimed "legend" L.Jackson is part of it.

Really. Sheesh, you guys are way too wired. I passed on one opinion of someone and asked about what you guys thought about it. Before I fork over about 10 dollars to watch a shitty flick, I'd like to know - that's all.

boogie woogie feng shui
laudre said:
... No offense, but you really, really need to get out more.

No, I agree with Shougo actually. I even voiced my extreme annoyance a while back with how thinking Snakes On A Plane is the coolest movie ever is the "in" thing.

Lurker
"bear some semblence to reality"

Have some fun for Christ's sake. Not everything is the Brokebacking LOTR trilogy where Sam gives Frodo some fucking gay looks whilst all they do is climb up a fucking volcano..

[HIDE]
So... does any of you remember the "Snakes on a crack" joke Samuel L. Jackson pulled off? My favorite line out of the whole movie. LOL!
[/HIDE]

No, I agree with Shougo actually. I even voiced my extreme annoyance a while back with how thinking Snakes On A Plane is the coolest movie ever is the "in" thing.

And you both need to get out more. :p :laugh: What I don't get, is why the bitching. You don't like this, go watch Surf Ninjas. Kwonsu, dudes! :laugh: :laugh:

Mara Jade said:
Hmmm...Sounds to me you are the one taking things quite seriously. All I asked was for an opinion and honest answer as to why you [plural] all thought it was so great. I'll ask you to leave your half-assed ill-informed judgments of my friend at the first post, thanks.

:rolleyes2: :rolleyes2: Yeah.......Whatever. This isn't really the type of film you see and have a moderate opinion on. Either you love it or you don't and you seem like the type not to like it. Stay home. Save your ten bucks and watch....whatever it is you watch. (Its 3AM, I don't care enough to think up some super serious uber-perfect masterpiece movie someone might watch instead of this.) Enjoy. :thumbs:

*coughs* Uhmmm.....Sidenote: When did Saw become an "awesomely bad" movie?