Shuriken Sentai Ninninger, Shinobi 35: "Kinji in the Labyrinth to Becoming a Youkai!"

Ninnin3502.jpg

Wait, we're not airing on halloween weekend? But I already started work on my Freddy Krueger costume!

This week Kinji searches for a youkai blade, Nagi can't decide whether to tattle or not, the team has to make their way through yet another mysterious maze, and we see the debut of both Transcendant KiNinger and another Wolfman Youkai (which may be a re-use of an existing MotW suit, but is still much better looking than the Geki Violet Werewolf costume :anime:)

Man, they sure love turning auxiliary Rangers into wolves, don't they?

Not a bad episode at all, really. It's nice to see Nagi getting some more attention finally (although now Fuuka is getting shafted instead...). I feel like they were setting up that Kasumi would find out something was wrong with Kinji with the cut specifically used to show her concerned look at the beginning of the episode, but I guess the staff decided against it.

Fuuka has plenty of times shown off, Nagi needs to shine more.
After that it should be all Kasumi until the end :D

Fuuka has plenty of times shown off, Nagi needs to shine more.
After that it should be all Kasumi until the end :D

Yeah, but we haven't had any real focus on Fuuka at all since the vampire episode. Since then, she's been not much more than a background character.

Yeah, but we haven't had any real focus on Fuuka at all since the vampire episode. Since then, she's been not much more than a background character.
To be fair, this is one of the first episodes in a while after that set of episodes focused on kids, which took away from focusing on the cast a bit.

Personally I'm just kind of miffed they seem to be fine changing Kinji's personality depending on the situation. I know this is something these shows do given their episodic nature, but when Kinji was introduced, he was similar to Taka, then he became flaky, then it was actually that he was too straight-laced (eventually leading to the US/UK combo thing they got going). Sometimes he worked well with the team, other times his inability to do so was his explicit weakness, and so on and so forth.

They do seem to have a baseline they use for him, but it doesn't seem as defined as past sixths have been, which is kind of frustrating since he's already something of a big homage/mishmash (or ripoff if you want) of a few of them as it is.

Shining~
So it turns out that scene on the first post was......kinda different in the show. The picture makes it seems like Kinji transformed little by little starting from his left hand, but turns out the scene was the wolf hand appearing as some sort of an illusion.

And now that I finally watch episode 35.......

- Why would Nagi think a DEMON sword would be usable by him? :sweat:
By the way, in the book's picture, next to the sword there's a shuriken-like object. They gave the viewers a nice hint at the Gekiatsutou.

- An office building? What an odd place for a sword. Especially with how there's a mop next to it.

- Huh, the Labyrinth of Doubt ends up not amounting to much at all.

- I like the role call in this episode, using the building as backdrop is clever.

- .....so, how many times Toei is going to reuse "yellow drill"? :laugh:

- For a Greater Youkai, this one doesn't do much at all.

Last edited:
So it turns out that scene on the first post was......kinda different in the show. The picture makes it seems like Kinji transformed little by little starting from his left hand, but turns out the scene was the wolf hand appearing as some sort of an illusion.
I was under the impression the transformation was happening, just slowly, and the sword made it happen instantly.

TBH most of the time I'm picking first post pictures based purely on my ability to make terrible caption jokes from them. :sweat:

Shining~
TBH most of the time I'm picking first post pictures based purely on my ability to make terrible caption jokes from them. :sweat:

That's okay, it's just that the way they made the picture kinda fooled people about what's actually happening :sweat:

I was under the impression the transformation was happening, just slowly, and the sword made it happen instantly.

Yeah, that was what I was thinking - the picture implies the transformation happens little by little, but turns out it didn't happen until the end of the episode, and even then, he instantly becomes fully transformed.