Showa Rider series up to Stronger

NeonZ

Active Member
I've just finished watching every Showa Rider up to Stronger. Once in a while, watching the series one after the other got repetitive, especially towards the middle of each show, but, overall it was fun.

I'll still continue watching the remaining ones, however, considering how Stronger was basically the last first generation Rider, directly connected with the previous series since the beginning, I thought this might be a good point for a break.

Anyway, I'll post some impressions here, covering the shows up to Stronger. This first post is only about the original series and its movies though.

Kamen Rider

The First (the first 13 episodes, that is)

Well, the first Rider show and the first few episodes of it. The first Rider series in general seems kind of experimental in some senses, but these first episodes are even more so.

Anyway, in general, I think these first episodes were handled well. There are some problems regarding special effects, but there are also some good choices here, like Rider 1's bike transformation which holds up well compared to some other transformations used in early Showa. The suits aren't particularly well done, but the filming techniques used in these earlier episodes help making them work on the actual set.

As far as story and characters go, it was good. There wasn't much story progression, but the set up and his interactions with the supporting cast were done well. The episodes actually showed Hongo's suffering after becoming a cyborg and his hesitation to reveal his identity to others, which is directly related to how he feels about being altered.

There was no visible main villain, aside from the voice of Shocker's leader. However, I think that worked in some ways. Although there wasn't much of a story progression, Hongo going around actually actively destroying Shocker bases and killing Shocker agents gives these episodes a sense that he is actually doing something, that his victories have some value. I actually prefer this approach to a hero who just beats a random underling of some bigger villains every episode, like in most later toku shows.

The series was clearly changing though, and those changes were already clear during the accident with Hiroshi Fujioka that took him out of the show for a while. The dark environments and attempts to use shadows in filming mostly disappeared, and the monsters usually had started to just explode after getting hit by a Rider Kick. No more weird vaporizing effect or just a dead body lying around. In spite of the lack of Fujioka, they still were able to handle the secondary cast well, with the addition of Taki and even Ruriko's interactions with the Kamen Rider.

The last episode, although not making a direct transition to Rider 2's phase, still was appropriately "final", with Hongo facing every Kaijin he had defeated up to this point again, led by an even stronger one. Unfortunately, the change of filming techniques makes some suits that initially looked acceptable look almost unrecognizable in this story.

A second heroic character, FBI agent Taki, is introduced right in the first episode without any new Fujioka scenes. He goes on to be a stable part of the show, staying as a secondary cast member until the ending. I wonder why they didn't just turn him into Rider 2, although I ended up really liking Hayato, so that's not a problem.

The Next (Rider 2, not V3)

The transition to this phase wasn't done particularly well, but Rider 2's debut itself was. Hongo and Ruriko aren't around. Tachibana is taking a Cyclone to Hongo, when he's attacked on the way... and saved by a different looking Kamen Rider.

The series had already changed significantly when Ichimonji Hayato debuted and he was a symbol of that. Usually cheerier than Hongo's early gloominess, playing around and laughing at even his future friends, Kamen Rider 2's atittude in these early episodes really stand out compared to Hongo's.

Contrasting with those lighter elements, he also had an almost evil sounding laughter (my 11 years old brother said that his voice sounded like a monster's) and the series seemed to distance itself from him at times. Often, he'd disappear for a while only to return in some disguise or in the exact position the villains were planning to attack, without the viewer (or the other characters) being shown how he got there in the first place. His Rider suit was flashier than Hongo's and he introduced the henshin pose and call concept to the series.

In his introduction, Hayato was shown to be haunted by nightmares from the time he was captured by Shocker, yet he doesn't dwell on it and quickly tries to ignore that problem. Although he doesn't go around announcing that he's a Kamen Rider everywhere, he doesn't hesitate to transform in front of others to save them, unlike early Hongo, and even let's himself as Kamen Rider be seen as a hero. His second 2 episode arc ended with him entering in a wrestling ring donning a cape, acclaimed by the crowd around him. That arc also featured the first non-Rider altered human who, rather than dying, just recovered his memories and returned to normal. Too bad he didn't become a supporting character.

Hayato basically transformed Kamen Rider from a symbol of Hongo's shame into a popular hero loved by children, with even Rider merchandising popping up in some later episodes of the series.

Anyway, this is probably my favorite part of the original series, aside from some of the Gel-Shocker episodes. Like already said, I really like Hayato's personality and atittude. Before watching the show, I thought his actor looked odd for a Rider and thought his final visual as Rider 2 looked bad with the red gloves and boots, but I ended up really liking his character and Rider 2's first design, with the dark helmet, green gloves and boots and silver stripes on the suit is easily my favorite design out of the original series. The later crossovers generally didn't focus much on his character's main traits, besides a few exceptions here and there.

After a while, we got Colonel Zol, a persistent antagonist in addition to the faceless Shocker Leader. Personally, I don't think he changed the show much. Hayato made him look like a fool in his very debut episode (randomly sleeping while Zol was disguised as Taki, only to start laughing when Zol actually attempted to do something) and he usually didn't overshadow the monsters much in later episodes, just replacing the various minor Shocker commanders that usually died pretty quickly in the series first 20 episodes. In spite of those problems, his final episode and the reveal of his true form were handled well.

This part of the series also had the first look at the Shocker Leader, just a silhouette with shinning blue eyes, shoulder pads and a cape. Of course, this design would never be seen again. It also had the first episodes that really showed Shocker as a worldwide organization. There were a few mentions in the first 13 episodes, but, in these episodes, there were scenes taking places in other countries and various kaijin, major villains and minor supporting characters came from them. It's something that Kamen Rider in general has really lost. Watching these episodes, there's really a sense that Shocker is a worldwide threat, unlike in most modern Rider series, or even later Showa ones, where the conflict is always extremely confined to just Japan.

Of course, this phase also brought the first Rider team ups and even the first Rider vs Rider battle, when Hongo was finally captured by Shocker and brainwashed. Anyway, Hongo returned with a suit in a slightly different color and with a flashier behavior, closer to Hayato's, but he still kept some of his atittude from before, even refusing to see Tachibana. However, this team up also marked a few changes to the show which I generally disliked.

First, Hayato's supporting cast was heavily changed by that arc, with the girls who had arrived alongside him mostly leaving, replaced by two girls who came with Hongo. None of those girls added much to the story, and their fighting scenes weren't good, but the initial characters had some chemistry with Hayato and Taki, and there were even episodes focusing on everyone working together... elements which were mostly lost by the replacements who came with Hongo. That ended up hurting Taki's character too, considering how the interactions with the girls became more limited. Those two episodes also introduced Dr. Shinigami, which I'm rather ambivalent about.

Dr.Shinigami was generally characterized well, and one or two of his scenes brought back the monsters scenes from the early series to mind. However, he is a much more active figure than Zol ever was. Basically every episode after his debut is Kamen Rider(s) vs Dr. Shinigami, with him greatly overshadowing most of the monster of the week, who basically become just brute force for his operations.

Aside from that, these initial team ups all make Hayato look rather bad, with him often needing to get saved by Hongo. In the end, Hayato leaves the country and lets it stay in Hongo's hands.

Kamen Rider vs Shocker

The first actual Rider movie, featuring Hayato and Hongo fighting together against an army of returned monsters. It generally was brief, but enjoyable. Using multiple monsters is an easy way to make this seem bigger than the tv show, without needing much time or resources to do it. There are some oddities though, like the Shocker uniforms and Hongo's transformation appearing here before they did in the tv show, even though he still has his look from when he was the supporting Rider.

Also, several monsters who appear in a group shot, and even announce their names, of the army don't return later, but that wasn't noticeable when I watched this for the first time.

Zanjioh, the movie's main monster, had a good design, which even worked fine on screen more than 30 years later in Decade's part of Movie Wars 2010, standing next to Heisei monster suits.

Kamen Rider Shin #1 - 53-79

Hongo's return to the main character position and the racing club, and also the debut of his new look! A new start for the show... which is actually completely ignored. Episode 53 doesn't bother to introduce anything at all, skipping any kind of transition from the last one. Hongo's return to the racing club and meeting everyone again weren't covered at all by the show. Same for his actual new look, which is greatly different from the dark suit he had used in the previous episode... but doesn't receive any kind of introduction in the show itself.

Yes, I know that there are published explanations, but the lack of anything in the series still hurts the show. This part of the show didn't start very well. I'd expect this kind of thing from Hayato's introduction, thanks to the real world events surrounding it, but it was actually handled much better than this.

The two girls who arrived alongside Hongo in episode 40 are written out after a while, but they didn't really ever get to do anything. Even their initial battle support shown during their debut is quickly forgotten. Also, even though they debuted fighting in Europe alongside Hongo, their interactions with him after his return were just as weak as the ones they had with Hayato. Ruriko didn't return and no character became her replacement.

Anyway, unlike in earlier episodes, when the Rider usually lost to the monster in the first battle only to return later, better prepared or with a new technique, or the battle was close enough and the monster could escape, in these episodes... New Rider 1 basically easily beats everyone and everything. However, when he's about to destroy the enemy in the first half of the episode... it just vanishes. Needless to say, I think this idea was really bad. In one of the few episodes Rider 1 had actual problems in this stage of the series, in order to defeat the monster, he ended up just needing to press a button to power up.

Aside from that, although I guess this would be a complaint about the series in general, but I remember being bothered by it here... the bike vs bike battles generally just weren't done well. It's one of the main differences between V3's action scenes and the second half of the original series too, so someone obviously noticed they just didn't look good even back then.

I don't have much to say about Ambassador Hell. He had more focus than Zol, but less than Dr.Shinigami's during his stay as the main antagonist. However, the episodes which focused on him as antagonist didn't really help him much, unlike Zol's. I also wasn't very fond of his design, both human and kaijin.

Dr.Shinigami eventually returns for a few episodes, only to die... and also to get his character completely destroyed in the process. Ikadevil fights Rider 1 and is beaten up like everyone else. He kidnaps Tachibana and makes him a personal trainer of kaijin, and, then, during a fairly light hearted scene, Tachibana beats him up while Ikadevil fails at training and Tachibana ends up learning his weakness. This is the same Dr.Shinigami who previously had beaten Taki with just a look in human form and had taken his attacks without any problem at all. Yet, Shinigami was basically reduced to a joke in his final episode, thanks to the Ikadevil scenes.

Hayato eventually returns during two episodes, with his new and final look, but still using the old Cyclone, while Hongo had a new one. Yet again, he ended up needing Hongo's help during battle, in spite of appearing out of nowhere to help...

Finally, we've got the introduction of the Rider Scouts. A group of kids meant to help Kamen Rider, giving information about Shocker monsters. It's a kid's show, and that was a way they found to appeal to kids, I guess, but I just really hate the whole concept. In the original series, they're using birds to send messages, making the whole idea even worse.

The end of Shocker and birth of Gel-Shocker were well done, with an unknown powerful monster appearing in several episodes, denying that it's a Shocker kaijin... and finally Ambassador Hell's final desperate attempt to kill Rider 1, attempting to fool him into thinking that he'd leave Shocker, only to capture Tachibana and the others and force Hongo to fight to save them. I didn't like GaraGaranda's design, especially the head, which just looked too cartoony with the large eyes drawn on it... In spite of the problems mentioned above, the conclusion to this part of the series was handled well, and the next part would be another improvement.

Kamen Rider vs Ambassador Hell

The second movie... and, well, my comments about the previous phase of the tv show are mostly applicable here. The main movie villain Kamikirikid, who was just a reused suit from the tv show (or the tv show reused the monster suit... I don't know. Both claim that it's the first time that monster appears though) and he just failed and failed throughout the movie.

Zanjioh (yes, the first movie's villain was back in this one too) actually put up a better fight against Rider 1... in this movie than the actual main villain of the movie.

Also, throughout this movie, both the resurrected monster and Rider 1 just kept running around, leaving locations very quickly, so he ended up not killing most of them. Rider 1's actions made sense considering the story, which required him to go fast to stop Shocker's plan, but they really should have included everyone in the final fighting scene, rather than implying that Rider 1 just let an army of monsters roam around and felt satisfied after stopping Shocker's operation.

The same happened in the previous movie, thanks to the large group shot, but this one just handled things in a much more noticeable way, unfortunately. It also had a long bike battle sequence, and, like I've said, I was not fond of those in the original show.

Kamen Riders vs Gel Shocker (Episodes 80-98)

Gel-Shocker finally appears, and their first action is to... kill every Shocker member? This element actually continued during a few episodes, with Shocker scientists getting killed in another one. Pretty interesting debut, at least.

Anyway, Hongo and Taki investigate and learn about the new organization, Geldam Shocker, Gel-Shocker. The mysterious monster appears again and faces Rider 1 once more. Their fight ends up in the sky and... they seemingly destroy each other.

Everyone worries about how they'll continue without Kamen Rider (and Hayato isn't even mentioned, IIRC... only bad point in this arc), but, of course, he was still alive and returns to save them. Unlike in the previous arc, this time Hongo actually has problems fighting monsters. Well, most of them anyway. A few still pull the "I'm getting beaten up, but somehow will just vanish" trick. The Rider scouts are still around, but receive less focus, thankfully.

After a few episodes of battles against Gel-Shocker, everything seemed to be slowly going back to normal... until Hongo is seemingly killed alongside a monster again and a Rider with yellow boots and gloves appears in the Gel-Shocker base. Yes, it the Shocker Rider!

In the first episode, not only there was the fake rider and another monster, but also a new anti-Shocker organization involved in the story. Also, the Shocker Rider could match Hongo in combat, in addition to having extra tricks, like a foot blade. Hayato returns again, this time dressed in black for some reason, and he finally gets to shine. Yet, the story still throws twists, with more Shocker Riders appearing, until the eight Kamen Rider battle starts. Unfortunately, I think the ending of the battle with the Shocker Riders was rather weak, but otherwise these episodes were good.

After stopping a few more Gel-Shocker plans, Rider 1 and Taki track down Gel-Shocker's commander, General Black... only it turns out to be a trap. Everyone is captured and Rider 1 attempts to save them, only to fall into a trap himself, but Rider 2 returns, and together they defeat the remaining Gel-Shocker forces, General Black and the Shocker Leader... who just self destructs when they approach him.

He has this very creepy laugh, different from his standard voice, and, in this sequence, they used some experimental effects like earlier in the tv show. The "battle" with him was very brief, and it's pretty obvious that the cyclops monster that they faced actually wasn't the Shocker Leader's real form. A weird object falls from his body after he falls apart, but it blows up when the Riders attempt to check it. The base self destructs afterwards.

The series ends with Taki going back to the USA, after finishing his job in Japan. Hayato stays this time, and everything is ready for the beginning of V3... But I'll post my impressions about it later.

Final comments

The first Rider series introduced some great concepts, but also was rather rough at times. I wouldn't classify it even as my favorite Showa series, but it still had many enjoyable episodes and basically introduced me to Ichimonji Hayato, who I had seen in some later Showa crossovers, but never before in episodes largely focusing on him. Watching those introductory episodes, Rider 2 easily became one of my favorite Riders.

I didn't mention Tachibana much previously... I guess it's because he seemed to be the one constant in this series, always in a mentor role to the protagonist, doesn't matter who it was or even if the actor was around or not.

The Shocker grunts worked decently. Sometimes, they could knock out Taki in a single hit, so the writers didn't forget that they were supposed to be superior to humans, even though sometimes they were defeated rather easily by Taki and even by Tachibana. Anyway, that would be changed by V3...

Also, they started using the full face masks, resembling Mexican wrestlers... when a commander of Shocker Mexico was sent to Japan. The bones outfit came from the first real movie.

Next up... V3, but I'll post about it another day. This first post ended up too long and taking too much time already...
 
Last edited:
Have you watched Sky Rider yet? As a Nigo-fan, I think you will love that show. Fujioka did not return as Ichigo, which basically meant that Hayato got the "important" sempai-role, which would normally have gone to Hongo.
He got more screen time than the other Riders, both in and out of the suit, and his character really got to shine. I became a huge Nigo-fan after watching Sky Rider.
 
Have you watched Sky Rider yet?

I've watched some episodes and the movie, but I was skipping around episodes, not watching the entire series completely. It'll be the next series I'll watch completely though, now that I've finished Stronger.
 
Last edited:
Pretty good overview, though there's a lot of points I disagree on. Most of the stuff you had problems with didn't bother me at all, or in some cases I liked it.
 
That was a pretty good read, I definitely enjoyed it. How long did it take you to watch the original series? I found that I was able to ignore a lot of its failings because I watched it in such a short amount of time. (over the course of the month) Though the one thing that always always always bothered me was the introduction of Taki, only for him to never become a Kamen Rider. I knew he wouldn't become one going into it, but actually seeing it always bugged the heck out of me.
 
^
This made me appreciate the Spirits manga even more. I know that he was never made into an official Rider, but at least Hongo acknowledged him as such.
It may be non-canon, but Taki was still the first Skull Rider :buttrock:
 
Pretty good overview, though there's a lot of points I disagree on. Most of the stuff you had problems with didn't bother me at all, or in some cases I liked it.

Thanks. And, yes, considering how highly you praise the original, I guessed our opinions wouldn't match.

That was a pretty good read, I definitely enjoyed it. How long did it take you to watch the original series?

Thanks. Not sure... It was definitely more than a single month though. 2 to 4 months, I guess.

Though the one thing that always always always bothered me was the introduction of Taki, only for him to never become a Kamen Rider. I knew he wouldn't become one going into it, but actually seeing it always bugged the heck out of me.

Taki seems to be introduced as someone they were preparing to be a Hongo replacement... yet, he never goes on to actually replace him and just stays in that same role. I got used to that after a while though and it didn't bother me at all.
 
Last edited:
I really shouldn't have stopped doing these for such a long time... I've actually already started Super-1 now, although I took a break after the first few episodes and have only continued recently.

Anyway, after rewatching some V3 episodes, and almost coinciding with Rider's anniversary, I'm posting my late V3 impressions.

Kamen Rider V3

Kamen Rider Version 2.0(V3 from episode 1 to 30)

The first Kamen Rider sequel, which originally started airing one week after the original show.

In many ways, this first phase of V3 is basically a new set of episodes for the original Rider series. The show seen here isn't much more different from the original series than the episodes in the original show were after Hayato's debut or Hongo's return compared to the previous episodes of the same show. However, of course, the first episode is even more so.

A secret organization is carrying suspicious operations, and targets civilians who learn about them. Hongo ends up stumbling on what is happening when a college student asks for his help. Although the college student, Kazami Shiro, is the focus of the first few minutes of the episode, that's actually not very rare for the episode structure of the original show. Several pieces of background music are still around too. The supporting cast had completely vanished though, aside from Tachibana... and Hayato, Rider 2, who was still around for once.

Anyway, of course, the events go out of hand, Shiro's family ends up killed and Shiro asks to become a cyborg like them, only for them to refuse. Finally, Shiro sacrifices his own body to save Rider 1 and Rider 2 and they have no choice but to turn him into a Rider to save his life. Soon, Rider 1 and 2 sacrifice themselves, and Kamen Rider V3 becomes the single remaining Rider, facing Destron, a new organization created from Shocker's ashes.

In general, I loved the two premiere episodes. The new organization with stronger monsters, the new uniforms of the combatants, and, of course, V3 himself. I'm not a big fan of the design, but I liked how he stands out a lot from Rider 1 and 2, but still seems very familiar. It works really well as a "superior" Rider like they hype him out to be in the first episodes, even though he's limited by his inexperience.

However, my opinion regarding V3 doesn't stay as positive after the first few episodes. It's not negative either, but I think the show just didn't do enough initially to differentiate itself from the original series. These initial 30 episodes just end up feeling too much like the original show after Hongo's return. The dynamics of the show just stay too close to before, in spite of the new characters and new enemy which supposedly has a different atittude and approach.

Destron is hyped up to be a "secret" organization that operates from the shadows, but that usually just means that people somehow completely forgot about Riders, and also that most of the streets are completely empty.
At two different points, Destron actually sends troops passing by roads in the middle of residential areas under broad day light. However, that actually seemed to be somewhat followed up...

Another difference between them was Destron's much bigger focus on a cult-like structure. Shocker also had that to some extent, but Destron played it out much more, at least, initially, giving them a lot of presence in the first few episodes.

The bike combat scenes were heavily changed from the original series, and for the better. They still aren't really impressive, but they aren't really a negative point to me, unlike the ones in the original show.

The designs also seem much more uniform and focused than in the original show. The monsters are visibly mechanical and for the first time we get to see the interior or a Rider in the series itself, which is also shown to be mechanical.

As far as the supporting cast goes, it was smaller than in the original series, but also much more consistent, Tachibana and Junko stay throughout most of the series, although both remain fairly static characters after the first few episodes. The Rider Scouts are back too, but, this time, at least, their communication method works much better than in the previous series - although I'm not fond of the whole idea in general.

After more than 10 episodes, we get our first commander, Doctor G. His introduction was good. These days a letter talking out of a screen isn't new, but I was surprised to see it in an older show like this. However, after a while, his character is kind of hurt by his constant failures. He's initially introduced as the cool commander, always in control even while seemingly losing, but that fades away soon, replaced by a fairly generic atittude.

His debut also generally makes Destron seem smaller and less mystical than before, with most of the "cult" imagery used in the first few episodes disappearing completely.

Anyway, these episodes also had a running plotline that eventually resulted in the revelation that Rider 1 and 2 were actually alive, fighting in Australia. Considering the airing dates, this was basically a large running promotion for the V3 movie, which features Rider 1 and 2 returning from Australia for the final battle.

Anyway, near the ending of this phase we also get the Destron hunters, an interpol unit fighting against Destron. Eventually, only one of them survives, Ken Sakuma, which seemed to be an attempt at a... Taki V3! But... it clearly wasn't very successful. Ken Sakuma himself was much goofier and less heroic-like than Taki and the way that Destron's standard soldiers were portrayed most of the time (much stronger than a normal human - Tachibana could fight against Shocker soldiers sometimes, but he was mostly useless against Destron's) he became just useless as soon as he debuted.

There was also a brief return of Shocker's monsters and commanders, which was actually quite disappointing due to their lack of transformation and ultimately pathetic end. Anyway, after losing more than enough, Doctor G challenges V3, calls spirits to power him up, but loses anyway.

Kamen Rider V3 vs Destron Kaijin

V3's movie. It was a pretty decent fast paced story. Like in the original series, the revived monsters still used their abilities and had their own scenes, they weren't just generic suits. Most of the time V3 was forced to use his finishing attacks to finish them off, something that I particularly liked.

I was also pleasantly surprised by Rider 1's and Rider 2's small participation here. I had no idea that they were even in this movie. I also thought that their double rider kick failing to kill a Destron cyborg, just stunning him for V3, was a very good detail. The script writers clearly didn't forget that V3 is supposed to be stronger than them.

Otherwise, it was just a longer episode with a large number of monsters. most of the complaints about the first phase of the series are also applicable here. Although... I thought this little story was fun, so they didn't really bother me at all, somehow. Also, unlike in their own, longer and more developed, later return in the show, they address Rider 1 and 2 leaving here, which was a nice detail... which somehow didn't happen in their much longer tv participation.

Kamen Rider V3 vs the Black Magician! (episodes 31 - 40)

No, that's not the real name of anything. Anyway, after Doctor G's death, the series suffers some significant changes. Rather than just more Shocker, Destron becomes much more focused on the black magic and cult-like aspect again, with the Kiba tribe led by Baron Kiba becoming the focused enemy.

Destron's plots become much more mystical and plain weird in this phase of the show and I can see some people disliking that, but I thought this was a breath of fresh air, compared to the Shocker derivative that Destron was initially. In any case, they'd have an even better taken on an identity for Destron later in the show.

This part of the show also features the return of Rider 1 and 2 in the tv show with a great set of episodes, with the second one of them feeling yet again like a direct continuation of the original show, in a good way. I like how they return here to face the dangerous Baron Kiba and a sorceress who might be even stronger than Kiba himself, rather than returning to fight Shocker remnants. It really feels like they're part of V3's world. Rider 2 also basically becomes the focus in the second episode, when Rider 1 and V3 are captured, which pleased me. But then... comes the third episode and they completely disappear. Not even a single comment about why they weren't around, even though they speak initially about staying until Baron Kiba is defeated.

A third commander is introduced too, and, yet again, another character disappears without any comments. This time, it's the pointless Ken Sakuma, who had been absent during Rider 1's and 2's return anyway, but disappeared completely a few episodes into ArchBishop Tsubasa's arc. Anyway, these episodes are basically the same as the previous one, in spite of the new commander... or rather, they're generally the same, but feel... goofier. Most of the unintentionally goofy V3 moments seem to be from this small set of episodes.

Kamen Rider v3.0 (episodes 41-52)

After Tsubasa is eliminated, Marshal Yoroi is introduced and Destron yet again becomes a Shocker-like organization. In fact, too Shocker-like, with remakes of episodes of the original show. However, that quickly proves itself to be just a transitory phase and Destron, and V3 in general, would finally get its own identity in these last few episodes.

First, there's Riderman, the initially morally ambiguous avenger. I couldn't help but smile at how it seemed like he'd fit in perfectly in a Heisei era Rider show during his debut episodes. The addition of a second hero (or anti-hero) to the show makes the series much more dynamic, but his origin and its consequences just improve the series in general.

Riderman himself, and several characters introduced in this final phase of the show, genuinely believed that Destron was a good organization. Destron's secret activities are highlighted too... and everything just works really well when put together like that. V3 would have been my favorite Showa series if the entire show had been as consistent and entertaining as these episodes. However, it wasn't. While this set of episodes is great, to me, it doesn't make up for everything else beforehand.

The one negative to me about this part of the show to me was the introduction of the idea of an "evil monster disguised as a Rider" concept. This idea basically went on to replace the actual evil Riders from the first show until the Heisei era, and later Showa series basically tried to lump the Shocker Riders with those generic transformation monsters.

Final Comments

V3 is certainly a show made with a more consolidated base than the original Rider series. However, it still felt rather uncertain in some aspects, like the Ken fiasco, the take on Destron's mode of operation and even Rider 1's and 2's return. It was also much more derivative, taking a long time to find its own voice.

The extra polish in some ways was utterly pointless too. The secondary cast didn't randomly leave this time... but also had no development whatsoever, even though they were hinting strongly about something going on between Junko and Shiro. In the end, I really enjoyed the original series more than this one, in spite of the more polished effects and production in general.

In addition, there was also something... odd... about the Great Leader in this series. Really, If it weren't for his orders stopping monsters several times, V3 would have been killed several times over. Destron's leader also was basically the one who convinced Riderman to leave Destron once for all and join V3, by revealing the truth about the organization when Riderman attempted to eavesdrop a meeting with him, only to reveal that he knew Riderman was there hearing everything.

In any case, although I've made the complaints above, the entire series had some entertaining moments spread throughout. It's not one of my favorite shows though, and I really can't understand when I read people saying that this show was significantly better than the original.
 
Once again, nice overview, though many of the problems you had weren't issues for me. I think the Baron Fang episodes are some of the show's strongest, Doktor G had a pretty fantastic send-off and the first part of the show, while sticking close to later Kamen Rider (which it originally was conceived as) does distinguish itself enough through the format. The two-monsters two-episodes thing had been tried late in the original show, but V3 turns it into an art.

I do agree that the returning Shocker generals story has a pretty quick ending, but I don't really dislike it either (and it's much better than most other times they've been resurrected in the comics or whatnot.) The biggest complaint I have with the series is how it handles Kazami/Junko. Early on, there's a lot of hints at some deeper connection between the two, and (as I said when reviewing the first few) there's a lot of evidence that Junko knows he's V3, despite what the 'canon' story says. I get that doing a love story was not priority 1 with the writers, but V3's is intriguing enough and Miyauchi & Ono Hizuru have some great chemistry. They put in a lot of extra work where the script gives them lines like "Kazami and Junko stand in a room together." They go further, make it feel more real.

I was pleased to hear from Ono herself that she basically played it as though Junko knows, but never says anything after episode 12, when she sees how it affects Kazami. Personally I think they could have done more with that subplot at the end, but the one nice thing is it gives future writers something to pick up on and (Spirits really ought to.)

I do actually agree about comparing it with the original, I think the first show is still the stronger one. V3 has more polish, having the advantage of being made in 1973 with the first one having already done the legwork, but I think as a result it's actually a bit more 'safe'. It's never bad, but it's just sort of consistently good, whereas the original felt like it took more risks, but they pay off even more spectacularly. The endings are also a point of contention. I love the original's, and while V3's isn't the worst ending, it's just not as strong as I think it could've been. I see the original as a complete story on its own, whereas V3 is more of a second act of the classic Rider saga. Still a great show though.
 
Ken Sakuma, who had been absent during Rider 1's and 2's return anyway, but disappeared completely a few episodes into ArchBishop Tsubasa's arc.
Was this something that writers just didn't care about back then? It always bothered me seeing it in older tokusatsu shows because a lot of these characters, like you said, just disappear after playing seizable roles. It really bugged the heck out of me when it was done in Akumaizer 3 the first time with Yoshiko. I always got the feeling there was some sort of a spark between her and Zabitan. (of course they would write someone cool like her off and not that damn Matsuhiko)

...

And just to make it on topic: I never really cared for V3 too much. Entering the tokusatsu fandom, people would tell me it was this epic show and probably one of the best Kamen Rider shows...but it just didn't do it for me. Once we got to the final ten episodes, yeah, I really loved it, and that's thanks in large part to Akira Yamaguchi. (though if I wanted Yamaguchi goodness, I'd rather watch Zaborger :P )

Look forward to your thoughts on X, it's personally my favorite Shouwa series.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top