With Sousei, I'm more interested in older Rider series. For someone who's seen many, where should I start? I'm a bit put off by the incredibly poor video quality, so I'd prefer something with a strong story to suck me in. In the game, I like Super-1 the best, but I'm sure that's not the place to start.

Thank you.

I would definitely say Kamen Rider Black. That was my first Showa Kamen Rider series, and it sucks you in pretty quickly. It is VERY episodic, but the SPFX are creative, the music is catchy, and the final arc is still one of the KR franchise's highest peaks. It also requires absolutely no knowledge of any Rider series that aired beforehand as it was originally meant to stand completely on its own.

It's also one of the few Showa Rider series that has been fully subbed (even both TV specials have been subbed), so it has that going for it too.

Henshin a Go-Go!!
Black is pretty great, I personally have a deep affinity for Super-1, and Amazon is awesome if you have any love of campy B-movies, the special effects and editing make things so ridiculous at times that it's hard to not crack a smile. And at 20-something episodes it's a pretty quick watch!

It's morphin time! Dragonzord!
I would say Kamen Rider v3 it's very addicting it has that make you want to watch more feeling when you're done with an episode a great sense of where Kamen Rider used to be as a franchise as well alright that's just my 2 cents

D

Dr Kain

Black. It is fully stand alone and one of the best Rider series in general.

Black sort of wraps up the Showa stuff right? There's RX then the 10 riders thing, and that's pretty much where Showa ends, right? Am I going to miss out on anything important starting at Black and working back eventually?

D

Dr Kain

Black sort of wraps up the Showa stuff right? There's RX then the 10 riders thing, and that's pretty much where Showa ends, right? Am I going to miss out on anything important starting at Black and working back eventually?

Black is a stand alone series. None of the previous riders show up or are even mentioned. The 10 riders thing is Zx, which was a movie done before Black. Black Rx does bring in connections to the Showa series, but not Black itself.

Black is entirely stand alone. As a sequel, RX has a few episodes that use elements from Black. Later on the 10 previous Riders turn up to help RX for the final story arc, but I guess Toei didn't want to pay any of the actors to appear because the previous Riders all stay in suit and have generic replacement voices. I don't recall any of them making any reference to the events of their own series (or at least didn't catch anything for the Showa series I've seen).

Between the two series was a one episode special that is sometimes listed online as the 52nd episode of Black. It is basically a clip show that shows bits of all the previous Riders and a preview of RX's first episode. It isn't part of the storyline though.

Black does start out with a typically Showa setup, but it's definitely a step away from the previous series. RX infamously has quite a rough first quarter but there's a great four part story in episodes 14-17 where the show really finds it's feet.