Seeing Alyssa back in a mainline game is amazing. I never thought she would be canonically included again. It makes sense now why Grace is so determined as an adult. I also notice that the story connects the spin-off and main series very well. Resident Evil 9: Requiem seems like it will honor the old games while giving new players a fresh experience. I am a bit worried about the horror part because it looks intense, but that is why I love Resident Evil.
For me, the most interesting part was Grace’s panic attack. It shows that the series is not only about fighting monsters but also about human emotions. It is scary and real. I also like how they show her depending on her mother—this relationship feels genuine. If Alyssa really dies, it will change how I feel about the series, because she is the first returning character to die. I hope Grace’s story later in the game pays off emotionally.
I notice that Capcom is putting a lot of focus on storytelling this time. The scenes at Wrenwood Hotel show careful design and detail. Rain, darkness, dialogue, and tension make it feel like a real horror situation. Grace’s intelligence and Alyssa’s courage together make a strong duo. I am excited to see how the investigation eight years later ties back to these events. Resident Evil 9: Requiem might become my favorite mainline game if they do it right.
This trailer gave me chills. The black-hooded man and the sudden attacks made me nervous the whole time. I love how they show danger without revealing too much. Also, returning to Raccoon City is nostalgic. Seeing Grace grow from a teenager into a skilled analyst while dealing with trauma feels realistic. I think the horror and story combination will be intense. I hope February 27 comes quickly so I can play it.
The trailer breakdown confirms my thoughts, Capcom is definitely leaning into the deep lore by making Grace Ashcroft, daughter of Outbreak's Alyssa, the protagonist. Focusing on her as a "clumsy, nerdy, but resourceful FBI analyst" is a refreshing change of pace from the super-soldiers. The hotel flashback with her mother sounds like pure tension!
Can't wait to see if her analyst skills translate into unique gameplay.
P.S. If you're looking for different types of gaming resources, there's a good marvel rivals page with great crosshairs for those who prefer tactical shooters over survival horror.