Lateral thinking test: It's 1973. A Swedish man crashes his car into a tree. What caused the accident?
Red_Dwarf_X_air_date_revealed.jpg

Yes, 13 long years since the last full series, and 3 years since the 'Back To Earth' specials, the crew of the JMC mining ship Red Dwarf are back once again. Will Lister find Kochanski again? Will Rimmer ever pass his engineering exam and become an officer? Will Kryten ever catch "Archie"?
Any other "Dwarfers" out there in HJU-land?

Well under 9000
I loved the crap out of Red Dwarf growing up, watching every episode PBS decided to air. However I tried to watch it again a couple of years back and it just did not hold up well for me. I didn't even find the Back to Earth specials that funny. That being said, I'll watch the hell out of the new series. Because nostalgia.

I love Red Dwarf, but I'm ashamed to admit that I haven't seen all of the episodes. I'll right that wrong someday, though. I could listen to that theme all day, though (closing theme, preferably).

Lurker
I loved the crap out of Red Dwarf growing up, watching every episode PBS decided to air. However I tried to watch it again a couple of years back and it just did not hold up well for me. I didn't even find the Back to Earth specials that funny. That being said, I'll watch the hell out of the new series. Because nostalgia.

People are still following that "looking back now, it doesnt hold up" fad on the internet? I know plenty that have long grown out of that phase and gone back to enjoying shows they found "dated" at a more cynical and jaded age.

Red Dwarf is reran all the time in the UK on DAVE and I think it stands the test of time. Back to Earth was more a dramedy than a comic story, it was designed as a bit of a tour de force to snap Lister out of his funk. In that regard, it works very well. People didnt like it because it wasnt "traditional 'Dwarf", but I appreciate that the show likes to experiment now and again, it's led to the strongest episodes of the show at times.

As for Series X last night...brilliant. Very old-school in terms of using model shots, retroish phones, it feels like it's been pulled kicking and screaming out of the 80s, embracing it's datedness rather than try to catch up with the modern looks of today. I loved Lister getting so mad at the phone order service and how he eventually got around to "attaining" a stirmaster. And Rimmer proves he's still an "utter TWAT"

Someone's uploaded the full episode to Youtube

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7gL5hkWIm8"]Red Dwarf X - Trojan (Full episode) - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
When The Fruit Of Life Corrupts Men
People are still following that "looking back now, it doesnt hold up" fad on the internet? I know plenty that have long grown out of that phase and gone back to enjoying shows they found "dated" at a more cynical and jaded age.

People view a lot of the older doctor who shows with that same pair of goggles, mostly the fans of the newer series which I honestly find inferior in comparison

Best way I can explain it is like Star Trek TNG versus the TNG Movies, they're two completely different animals that only share characters and copyrighted titles. The original 60's-80's doctor who was more about scientific discovery where as the newer ones are more about action and lack of consequences. Not to mention the Doctor completely changing his morals when it's convenient for the plot

Anyway, loved episode 1, hoping they do something more with the Trojan instead of making it a oneshot plot point

I didn't even find the Back to Earth specials that funny.
I don't think very many people did tbh. Apparently they are going for a similar vibe to series 4 with the new episodes, so if you don't mind them you might like the new ones.
As for Series X last night...brilliant. Very old-school in terms of using model shots, retroish phones, it feels like it's been pulled kicking and screaming out of the 80s, embracing it's datedness rather than try to catch up with the modern looks of today. I loved Lister getting so mad at the phone order service and how he eventually got around to "attaining" a stirmaster. And Rimmer proves he's still an "utter TWAT"
I had mixed feelings about it. Some jokes were classic Dwarf. Some didn't really work for me. But then, it's the first one. It's not going to be perfect. I'm still trying to get my head around how they've aged. I think Kryten and Cat suffer the most from it. Even with all the makeup, something always seems slightly "off" about Kryten, and jokes about how good looking Cat is don't work in quite the same way when he's in his 50s.
Anyway, loved episode 1, hoping they do something more with the Trojan instead of making it a oneshot plot point
I'm guessing that it's where they get the new computer from for next week. Looks like that computer won't be sticking around though, which is good. RD is lacking the icing on it's cake when it doesn't have Holly.

Lurker
Great episode this week. Lister's conversation with his dad was priceless, he outthought himself every step of the way, and I loved how he figured out to uninstall Pree. Chinese Whispers gag was great, but peaked a tad too early for my tastes.

Lurker
At first, I thought "Lemons" was the weakest of the three eps, then I rewatched it and enjoyed it a lot more. Not sure what religious fans think of it, I'm almost tempted to take in the Church of Judas theory.:laugh:

Well I'm Christian but from an objective viewpoint I can see the appeal of it (I'm sure there are plenty of holes in the theory though).

I do like Jesus' merely being taken in by the bag and lemon though. Like the trying to prevent all the wars as well. The 10th commandment breaking stuff kind of bugs me though. But good for him bigging up the rights of women. And to be fair when he says it's possible the commandments were made up by men he could be on ,there's certainly nothing stopping some intervening generations altering the texts. And it wasn't actually Christ after all. Makes sense, there were alot of Jesus' at the time. It wasn't an uncommon name.

And then the church or Rimmer stuff winds up being true. I'll forgive it, people have made bigger insults. It's not actually impossible Jesus had a brother named Judas anyway.

Lurker
Just for kicks, I looked up a few things on Wikipedia, wondering if the Church of Judas thing was real (it's actually a reference to a faction in the comic strip ABC Warriors) and I stumbled on "the Gospel of Judas" which, while it didnt say anything about the two being brothers, did somewhat paint a picture of the two of them being "in" on the events that led to the crucificton